Free Agent Notes: Young, Ross, Cespedes, Oswalt

Stray notes on various free agents…

  • Dmitri Young is attending the Winter Meetings in Dallas, searching for a contract offer. Danny Knobler of CBS Sports tweets that Young has lost 70 pounds and would go to Japan if he can't land a job with an MLB team. The 38-year-old last appeared in the bigs in 2008 with the Nationals.
  • Outfielder Cody Ross seeks a three-year deal, an NL official tells ESPN's Buster Olney.  The 30-year-old hit .240/.325/.405 in 461 plate appearances for the Giants this year, playing all three outfield positions. He told Jaymee Sire of CSN Bay Area that the Giants are his "number one choice" (Twitter link).
  • The agent for soon-to-be free agent center fielder Yoenis Cespedes is telling teams he'll require twice what fellow Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman received, tweets ESPNBoston's Gordon Edes.  That is, $60MM.  The Rangers, by the way, are unlikely to pursue Cespedes, hears MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan.
  • Roy Oswalt's camp is waiting for C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle to sign to see the exact market, as most teams view Oswalt as a fallback option, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
  • Free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal underwent an appendectomy last week, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown, and is recovering well at home in Florida.
  • Teams are looking at Edgar Renteria as a multi-position utility guy, including third base, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.  Renteria wants to play for a contender.

Mark Buehrle Rumors: Monday

The latest on free agent left-hander Mark Buehrle

  • An NL executive speculated to Jon Heyman of MLB Network (Twitter link) that the first team to offer Buehrle four years might get him. Meanwhile, Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio tweets that another one of the 14 teams interested in the lefty just extended a first offer.
  • The Twins, Nationals, Marlins, and Rangers are in on Buehrle, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, but the Twins' offer is not as strong as the others.  The other teams are believed to be in the three-year, $36-39MM range.  Yesterday, we learned that Buehrle is the Nationals' top target and the Marlins have made him a strong offer.  The inclusion of a no-trade clause will be a factor.

Giants Did Not Bid On Nakajima

6:32pm: GM Brian Sabean confirmed the Giants did not submit a bid for Nakajima, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News (on Twitter).

9:52am: The report of the Giants submitting a bid on Nakajima is not accurate, tweets John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.

9:21am: The Giants appear to have submitted a bid for Japanese shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima, tweet Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.  The posting period ended a few days ago, and we learned previously that the Seibu Lions are expected to accept the high bid regardless of the amount.  Nakajima hit .297/.354/.433 with 16 home runs and 27 doubles in 633 plate appearances for the Lions in 2011 and is represented by Legacy Sports.

The Giants have a void at shortstop, having used Brandon Crawford, Miguel Tejada, Mike Fontenot, and Orlando Cabrera at the position in 2011. 

Brewers, Reds Interested In Octavio Dotel

5:43pm: MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez adds the Reds to the list of teams who are interested in Dotel, noting that the righty's representatives have met with the Tigers and Brewers already.

10:44am: The Cardinals and Brewers are very interested in Octavio Dotel, the 38-year-old reliever told Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles (link in Spanish).  Dotel confirmed the Tigers and Mets are also interested.  Dotel hopes to return to the Cardinals, and has a one-year offer in hand from them.  Dotel told Rojas he'd like to get two years, or at least one year at an adequate salary (thanks to Nick Collias for translating).  

Dodgers, Aaron Harang Making Progress On Deal

5:27pm: Talks between the two sides are still progressing, with terms in the ballpark of two years and $12MM, tweets Rosenthal.

2:23pm: The Dodgers are making progress on a deal with starter Aaron Harang, tweet Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.  The deal is expected to be for two years, tweets Morosi.  Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio adds that the two sides are close to an agreement.  Bowden says the two sides have agreed to terms but are just waiting on dotting i's and crossing t's.

Harang, 33, aimed to remain on the West Coast after spending 2011 in his native San Diego.  The Dodgers signed Chris Capuano earlier this month.  The two veterans would complement a rotation that includes Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, and Ted Lilly.    

Harang posted a 3.64 ERA, 6.5 K/9, 3.1 BB/9, 1.05 HR/9, and 40.6% groundball rate in 170 2/3 innings for the Padres this year, earning $4MM.

AL East Rumors: Lowrie, Upton, Maddon, Orioles

The latest buzz out of the AL East…

NL Central Rumors: Lee, Soriano, Cardinals, Brewers

The latest on several NL Central teams…

  • The Reds are talking about a lot of trade possibilities and talking about a whole range of players, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.  It is a possibility the Reds use Yonder Alonso as a trade piece to fix other needs, manager Dusty Baker told Jim Bowden on MLB Netowrk Radio.  Baker indicated the Reds will keep prospects Yasmani Grandal and Devin Mesoraco, as well as star first baseman Joey Votto.
  • The Reds outrighted lefty Jeremy Horst, dropping their 40-man roster count to 39, according toMLB.com's Mark Sheldon.
  • ESPN's Jayson Stark tweets that the Astros are letting teams know Carlos Lee is out there.  Lee, 35, is owed $18.5MM for 2012 and has ten-and-five rights.  A source close to the Astros' ownership tells Stark interim GM David Gottfried has autonomy to make trades this week.
  • Speaking of mistakes from the 2006-07 offseason, the Cubs are getting a bit of interest in left fielder Alfonso Soriano, tweets SI's Jon Heyman.  Soriano, 35, is owed $54MM through 2014 and has a full no-trade clause.  I think the Cubs would have to eat over $40MM to move Soriano.
  • World Series revenue is not a game-changer for the Cardinals, owner Bill DeWitt Jr. told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and the team's payroll is expected to remain around $110MM.  The Cardinals have about $80MM committed to eight players under contract for 2012.
  • The Brewers are in on everyone at several positions, including shortstop and third base, but are not down the road at all on any of them, tweets Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.  The Brewers are also known to be actively seeking relief help.

Nationals Rumors: Zimmerman, Coffey, Flores

The latest on the Nationals…

Five Teams Considering Carlos Guillen

The Royals, Marlins, Twins, Athletics, and Mariners are interested in Carlos Guillen, agent Wilfredo Polidor told Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles (link in Spanish).  Guillen, 36, has missed increasing amounts in each of the last three seasons due to injuries.  However, Polidor says his client is working like an animal in Miami and can help at almost any position.

Guillen began his big league career with the Mariners and was traded to the Tigers in January of '04. The M's will meet with Polidor at the Winter Meetings to discuss the possiblity of bringing his client back to Seattle, according to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times (on Twitter).

NL West Rumors: Ludwick, Gillick, Padres, Rockies

The latest on various NL West clubs…