Mets, Dodgers In On Pineiro
7:37pm: According to Tim Brown's Twitter feed, "In the face of economic limitations, Dodgers working on a way to sign Joel Pineiro."
7:09pm: According to Ed Price's Twitter feed, the Mets and Joel Pineiro are talking, with the money somewhere around two years, $15MM.
At that price, you'd have to think a deal could get done quickly. The Mets have been interested in Pineiro all offseason, though Pineiro has seemed to be looking for a deal that rivals or exceeds the three-year, $29.75MM contract Randy Wolf signed with the Brewers.
Two years, $15MM is exactly what Jason Marquis signed for earlier this offseason with the Nationals. Despite the concerns over whether Pineiro can repeat his successful 2009 without Dave Duncan, his pitching coach with the Cardinals, the Mets would be taking a worthwhile risk at that price and length.
Pineiro was 15-12 in 2009 with a 3.49 ERA and just 27 walks in 214 innings pitched.
Nationals Sign Jason Marquis
The Nationals signed starting pitcher Jason Marquis to a two-year, $15MM deal today. MASN was first to report the agreement yesterday, with MLB Network's Hazel Mae adding the length and Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News tweeting the value. The Phillies and Mets were other clubs reportedly in the mix for the 31-year-old righty. Back on December 15th, Marquis explained to MLB.com's Bill Ladson that he found the ability to mentor the Nats' young pitching staff appealing.
Marquis racked up 216 innings for the Rockies this year with a 4.04 ERA, 4.8 K/9, 3.3 BB/9, and 55.6% groundball rate. The Rox will receive a supplemental draft pick for their loss. I have to wonder if Marquis agreed in advance to turn down their arbitration offer.
My take: this is an uninspired move by the Nationals. I understand that an innings-eater is needed to take pressure off young pitchers, but it's likely that similar pitchers will be available in March at a fraction of the commitment. Plus, unlike an Erik Bedard type gamble, Marquis doesn't have upside.
Odds & Ends: Red Sox, Giants, Nationals
Lots to get to as we round out another Hot Stove Monday…
- Rob Bradford of WEEI.com has the backstory on Mike Lowell, his thumb injury and the trade that wasn't. Lowell expects to be ready for baseball activities by the first week of spring training, but has no idea if that will be with Boston or another team.
- MLB.com's Chris Haft answers mail from Giants' fans. He says, among other things, that the Giants are reluctant to trade Jonathan Sanchez straight-up for Dan Uggla-as well they should be.
- Washington Post Nationals beat reporter Chico Harlan weighs in on the Jason Marquis signing, noting that Marquis has more career victories than the other starters on the Washington 40-man roster combined.
- AOL Fanhouse's Ed Price says that "All we hear out of the Mets camp is that they don't want to be bidding against themselves. Well, the fact of the matter is, the Mets might just have to bid against themselves." This is hard to understand, considering that Jason Bay and Bengie Molina certainly aren't likely to sit out the season rather than accept offers from the Mets.
- Lyle Spencer of MLB.com speculates about what it would take for the Angels to acquire Derek Lowe.
Yankees Aiming To Add Starter Soon
Yankees GM Brian Cashman will "almost certainly add a starter by New Year's," reports Mike Puma of the New York Post. Puma notes that the Yanks inquired on the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano, but did not like the asking price. Zambrano has a full no-trade clause and is well-paid – $53.75MM over the next three years. On the other hand, ESPN's Bruce Levine has a Cubs source that refuted the idea that the Yankees even inquired.
A few other names to consider from our trade market post: Derek Lowe, Aaron Harang, and Gil Meche (we're unsure on the availability of Meche). Another interesting name could be Jeremy Bonderman, given his $12.5MM salary for 2010. Note that the Yankees have not been connected to these four in trade rumors; we're just speculating. And there is the small question of whether the team has $10MM+ in payroll space for a veteran starter.
Puma finds a free agent addition more likely for the Yankees; his speculative targets are Jason Marquis, Joel Pineiro, and Ben Sheets. However, Ken Davidoff of Newsday talked to "a person in the Yankees' loop" who said Sheets is "not even on the board" currently. Pineiro's contract demands remain steep, and you have to wonder whether a low-strikeout National League lifer like Marquis offers anything over Sergio Mitre or Chad Gaudin. The rest of the free agent market is not terribly appealing.
Bottom line: Puma expects Cashman to add a starter in the next eleven days, but we have no idea who that will be.
Nationals Making A Run At Garland
The Nationals are making a "strong run" at free agent hurler Jon Garland according to FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal. The righthander is looking for a three year deal, however the Nats would prefer to limit a contract to two years. Rosenthal also lists Jason Marquis and Doug Davis and possible targets for Washington.
GM Mike Rizzo confirmed the team's interest in Garland earlier this month, saying "He's one of the 10 names we've been talking about throughout the whole winter." The 30-year-old landed just one year and a guaranteed $7.25MM last offseason, so a three year deal may be a little too ambitious.
Mets Notes: Bay, Marquis, Pineiro
A few newsbits surrounding the Flushing Meadows nine….
- Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports says the the Mets "are trying to be careful not to bid against themselves" for Jason Bay since they may be the only club with serious interest at this point. Rosenthal notes that the Red Sox are no longer a factor given the Mike Cameron signing, the Angels and Giants have "consistently downplayed their interest" in the free agent outfielder and the Mariners were never a major player in the Bay sweepstakes. We learned earlier today about the Mets' current offer to Bay.
- Rosenthal and his cohort Jon Paul Morosi also note that the Mets have interest in Jason Marquis and Joel Pineiro, but may face some competition from division rivals Washington. Rosenthal and Morosi say the Nationals want to add two pitchers, with at least one being a No. 2 starter, and the Nats are also looking at Jon Garland.
- Newsday's Ken Davidoff said that (of all things) Bay's long-ago stint in center field with Pittsburgh is the reason that New York rates him as a better defender than Matt Holliday.
- While answering e-mails from Mets fans disappointed by their team's lack of big free agent moves, MLB.com's Marty Noble points out that no number of free agents would make the Mets contenders in 2010 unless their large number of injured stars are healthy. Noble also "wouldn't count on a reunion" between the Mets and Joe Torre in spite of the fact that Torre's contract is up in Los Angeles after next year and Jerry Manuel might be on the hot seat.
Marquis May Prefer Nationals
Last week we learned that the Phillies, Mets, Nationals and Mariners were all expressing interest in Jason Marquis and that he is unlikely to re-sign with the Rockies.
MLB.com's Bill Ladson spoke with Marquis, who seemed very interested in pitching for the Nationals. Marquis indicated that he likes serving as a mentor for younger pitchers and wants to be part of a team that "making the moves that is necessary to get themselves back to being a winning organization." He pointed to several moves the Nationals have made that suggest they are that team.
Marquis, 31, made $9.9MM with the Rockies in '09 and his WAR value was $17.1MM. He was 15-13 with a 4.04 ERA, 4.8 K/9, and 3.3 BB/9 in 216 innings for the Rockies this year. His ERA+ the last three seasons have been 113, 102 and 100.
Orioles, Mariners Interested In Jason Marquis
4:35pm: An Orioles official told MASN's Roch Kubatko not to get too excited about Marquis. Kubatko says the Orioles are "more likely to sign a pitcher who's coming off injury to an incentive-ladened deal." They're known to have interest in bringing Erik Bedard back, for example.
3:20pm: This week we learned that the Phillies, Mets, and Nationals are in on free agent starter Jason Marquis. Today Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports add two American League clubs to the mix: the Mariners and Orioles. Marquis' positive traits: he can eat innings, and he was third in baseball with a 55.6% groundball rate.
The FOX writers note that the Mariners are in on many free agent starters, including John Lackey, Ben Sheets, Doug Davis, and Jarrod Washburn. This is the first I've heard of the Sheets connection.
Mets, Nationals Pursuing Jason Marquis
THURSDAY, 10:09am: Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post says there's no chance of Marquis returning to the Rockies.
WEDNESDAY, 5:46pm: ESPN.com's Jayson Stark hears that the Phillies do indeed have interest in Marquis.
4:58pm: The Mets and Nationals are pursuing free agent starter Jason Marquis, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. He adds that we should not rule out the Phillies (though Marquis seems pointless for them to me). Earlier today we learned from Yahoo's Steve Henson that the Rockies are open to re-signing Marquis at less than his $9.875MM 2009 salary.
Marquis, 31, posted a 4.04 ERA, 4.8 K/9, and 3.3 BB/9 in 216 innings for the Rockies this year. He's been portrayed as having a lousy second half, but he really only struggled in September.
Twitter Rumors: Capps, Felix, Harden, Pierre
A fresh batch of Twitter rumors, for those of you with extra-short attention spans…
- MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch learned that the Pirates plan to tender a contract to Matt Capps.
- Stubborn Dodgers GM Ned Colletti says he has no regrets about not offering arbitration to Randy Wolf, reports Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times. Hernandez also notes that the Dodgers are considering Ronnie Belliard, Craig Counsell, Juan Uribe, and Jamey Carroll as second base options. The Reds also like Carroll, says MLB.com's Mark Sheldon.
- Yahoo's Steve Henson says the Rockies are open to re-signing Jason Marquis at a reduced number (less than the $9.875MM he made in '09).
- SI's Jon Heyman believes Felix Hernandez is seeking six years and $100MM, while the Mariners are thinking four years plus an option at less than $50MM. That phrasing makes a possible divide seem larger than it is, since those last two years of the deal would be the most expensive (more than $15MM per year). At any rate, Shannon Drayer and Mike Salk learned that no numbers have been exchanged on Felix yet.
- La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune says White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen wants Mike Redmond to back up A.J. Pierzynski.
- MLB.com's Steve Gilbert says the Rangers may have interest in arbitration-eligible D'Backs infielder Augie Ojeda. The Rangers added Joe Inglett off waivers, but were said to still be looking at utility infield candidates.
- Morosi tweets that Rich Harden is "willing to sign a one-year deal with a lot of incentives." Will he exceed Brad Penny's $7.5MM base salary? Morosi names the Red Sox, Yankees, and Mariners as the most serious suitors.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says the Tigers have interest in Juan Pierre, and are "looking for a third team to supply the pitcher L.A. needs." Odd, since the Tigers have more bad pitching contracts than anyone. The Tigers apparently prefer to unload Carlos Guillen.
- Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says the Pirates are not interested in bringing back Brian Giles.
- ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Red Sox "have two or three teams they could trade Mike Lowell to right now" if they'd take a similar contract back. Looking at our Bad Contract Swap Meet I don't see any obvious matches for one year and $12MM.
- There's been some tire-kicking with the Phillies and Ron Mahay, writes Andy Martino of the Philadelphia Inquirer. The Red Sox were linked to Mahay by Michael Silverman on Monday. Martino also says the Phillies met with John Smoltz's agent this morning, "but discussions remain informal."
- Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star characterizes the White Sox and Red Sox interest in Coco Crisp as "low-level," but says that's still more than the Royals have shown. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says the White Sox would consider Crisp, Mike Cameron, and Marlon Byrd. ESPN's Mike Salk notes that the Mariners spoke to Byrd's agent.
- Dutton also has the Red Sox eyeing Ryan Shealy on a minor league deal.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports names the most asked-about Padres: Heath Bell, Kevin Kouzmanoff, and Adrian Gonzalez (in that order). He says the Padres are "not hearing anything compelling on Bell." MLB.com's Corey Brock says about eight teams inquired on Kouzmanoff. Surprised not to see Kevin Correia mentioned by Rosenthal. He'd be a great affordable option for a team like the Brewers. ESPN's Buster Olney heard from rival execs who expect the Padres to get second-line prospects for Kouzmanoff and Correia.
- The Mets appear to find a Luis Castillo deal unlikely, says Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
- ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Yankees are shopping their #1 pick in tomorrow's Rule 5 draft, which they acquired for Brian Bruney. If they don't trade the pick, Yahoo's Steve Henson says the Yankees could use it on pitcher Arquimedes Caminero.
