Jayson Stark has a new Rumblings and Grumblings column up at ESPN; check it out. Here are some new trade rumors I picked up from it:
- Stark’s sources indicate that Kenny Williams is only serious about moving Jose Contreras, not Jon Garland or Javier Vazquez. Makes sense, if he’s trying to win in 2008. Problem is that Contreras doesn’t have much trade value, the way he’s been pitching for the last year.
- Of course the Mets would have interest in Dontrelle Willis if made available, but the Tigers? That’s a new one. Not sure why a team so deep in pitching would trade young players for Willis. But, it’s just a rumor.
- Zack Greinke is admittedly a long shot to be traded, but that doesn’t mean teams aren’t asking all the time. The Braves connection is obvious. Stark says John Schuerholz is getting very aggressive and creative trying to improve his team. Two prospects on the block are Elvis Andrus and Dan Smith.
- The Rangers are asking for way too much for their relievers right now. As you know, the options for Eric Gagne are quite limited because of his no-trade clause and desire to close. The Cubs, Phillies, and Braves could accomodate him, but it seems the Tigers seemingly don’t want to move Todd Jones out of the closer role. Odd.
- The Mets would move Mike Pelfrey in a major trade, perhaps annoyed with the Scott Boras influence on him.
- The Phillies are falling all over themselves to get a starter, but the main options appear to be Joe Kennedy, Kyle Lohse, and Steve Trachsel. Awww yeah, World Series here we come. For good starters or relievers, teams want Shane Victorino. The Phils need him to take over center field next year.
- Contrary to previous reports, the Reds intend to hold on to David Weathers.
- There’s no real fit anywhere for Ken Griffey Jr., given the limited list of teams he’ll play for.
- Expect the Angels to stand mostly pat, this year and next. That’s just how they roll. No A-Rod, no Barry, no Adam Dunn.
- Relievers under consideration by the Dodgers: Chad Qualls, Dan Wheeler, Octavio Dotel, Al Reyes, and a new one – Luis Vizcaino.
- Stark believes $30MM a year for A-Rod is laughable. But Stark and Scott Boras have had public beef before so he may be biased on this. I can see Boras getting his magic number for Rodriguez.