Here’s a random smattering of links and rumors for your enjoyment.
- Joba Chamberlain’s slider gives a whole new meaning to the term "unhittable."
- There’s informed speculation that the player to be named later going to Detroit in the Craig Monroe deal will be Clay Rapada.
- A source tells me the Braves have had internal discussions about trading Edgar Renteria in the offseason and giving the shortstop job to Yunel Escobar. The Cardinals, Tigers, and A’s could be interested.
- Word on the street is that the Diamondbacks plan on re-signing first baseman/pinch-hitter Tony Clark for 2008. He’s a good clubhouse guy with pop off the bench from both sides of the plate.
- The Red Sox signed Royce Clayton to a minor-league deal. Why? No one knows.
- Out with Brett Tomko, in with David Wells for the Dodgers. Jon Weisman reflects on a signing that never made sense. Funny to hear Wells wisecracking about his replacement while standing a few feet away from Tomko.
- Jose Guillen’s now talking three years guaranteed for his next deal, and he’s no longer in a rush. Talks are ongoing.