Many options were declined tonight, though none were unexpected.
- The Dodgers passed on Mike Lieberthal for $1.5MM. He only got 77 ABs this year and wasn’t worth it.
- David Riske had a $2.9MM player option. He declined it given his stellar 2.45 ERA in 69.2 innings this year. He’ll get a nice Bob Howry/Jamie Walker type of deal for three years.
- The Royals took a $1.5MM buyout rather than pay Odalis Perez $9MM. It was a nice gamble at the time but they don’t need him for ’08 at effectively $7.5MM. His season ended with a knee injury in late August.
- Darin Erstad got a lot of love in the Chicago press but he wasn’t worth $3.5MM to the White Sox. He gets a $250K consolation prize.
- Mike Myers for $1.1MM – nope. The Sox tried him and he was terrible.