TUESDAY, 9:30am: De Luca’s latest article confirms Chicago’s lack of interest in Washburn. De Luca says Washburn has "passed through waivers," by the way.
MONDAY, 10:22pm: Kenny Williams’ comments to MLB.com’s Scott Merkin seem to indicate a lack of interest in Washburn.
9:48am: According to Chris De Luca of the Chicago Sun-Times, the White Sox are pursuing Mariners starter Jarrod Washburn as a replacement for Jose Contreras. Contreras may be out for the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times heard from team sources on Saturday that Washburn cleared waivers. Based on the Yankees rumors last month, it appears the Mariners are unwilling to unload Washburn solely for salary relief ($10.35MM in ’09).
ESPN’s Buster Olney had a conflicting report in yesterday’s blog. Olney heard the claiming window remains open on Washburn until 12:30pm CST today, and the White Sox are considering putting one in. Additionally, Ken Rosenthal said on Saturday that the Yankees will put a claim in for Washburn. The Yanks have a worse record, so they’d win such a battle.
Olney also mentioned that Paul Byrd might make sense for the Sox. Byrd has already cleared waivers. Phil Rogers believes Aaron Poreda could be an option.