April's not nearly as busy as December or July for rumors, but we should have plenty of player movement to keep us entertained before the end of the month if last year is any indication. A look through MLBTR's archives turns up some of the more noteworthy trades, signings and releases that happened between this time last year and the end of April '08.
- The Rays signed Evan Longoria to a deal that could be worth up to $44MM over nine years.
- The Mariners signed Kenji Johjima to an extension too, but at $24MM over three years it's far from the bargain Longoria's deal appears to be. Even at the time, Tim noted that the deal was a surprise and "no kind of discount" for the Mariners.
- The Blue Jays released Frank Thomas and he was picked up by the A's.
- The Pirates released Matt Morris, who retired.
- The Reds fired then-GM Wayne Krivsky despite his solid track record during a short tenure in that role.
- The Barry Bonds watch was in full swing a year ago.
- And there were other deals, too: Jeff Weaver to the Brewers, Jason Grilli to the Rockies and Gabe Gross to the Rays to name a few.