A hearty batch of links for your Saturday afternoon viewing pleasure…
- Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times takes a deeper look at the Felix Herandez-Red Sox talks that took place just before the trade deadline yesterday. It seems like a sensitive subject for most Mariners fans.
- According to Peter Schmuck of The Baltimore Sun, the Orioles are having a "vigorous debate" about calling up pitching prospect Brian Matusz. "The service time issue also is largely moot," Schmuck writes, "because no matter how much time he spends up here this year, he's still under reserve for another six."
- Matthew Pouliot of NBCSports.com's "Circling The Bases," reviews the trade deadline's winners and losers.
- Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Nick Johnson did not want to discuss an extension with the Nationals, thus the trade, and is hoping for a two-year deal when he becomes a free agent this offseason.
- MLB.com's Corey Brock, a Padres beat writer, has more on the impending release of Mark Prior.