Thursday night linkage..
- Agent Scott Boras said in an interview on MLB Network Radio that he has never seen more interest in a player than he has for client Adrian Beltre.
- Brewers GM Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journel-Sentinel (via Twitter) that he is "making progress" towards a deal with Craig Counsell.
- Zack Greinke has yet to present the Royals with his list of clubs that he refuses to be traded to, writes Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
- Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that A's GM Billy Beane said that no move will be ruled out this winter except for dealing starters Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, and Dallas Braden.
- A source told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter) that he thinks the Diamondbacks will look for a short-term solution at first base. As Morosi points out, this would mean that Paul Konerko would not be the answer in Arizona.
- John Romano of the St. Petersburg Times thinks the Rays should re-sign Carlos Pena.
- Nats reliever Joe Bisenius has elected free agency after being outrighted, according to Bill Ladson of MLB.com. The fireballer was a September call-up this year but made just five appearances.
- Jayson Stark of ESPN (via Twitter) expects free agent Hiroki Kuroda to remain with the Dodgers.
- While Justin Marks may not blossom into a superstar, some think that he could develop into a No. 3 or 4 starter, writes MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo. The Royals acquired the left-hander from Oakland along with Vin Mazzaro in exchange for David DeJesus.
- In an interview on MLB Network Radio, free agent Craig Counsell said there's a "definite possibility" that he could return to the Brewers.
Kuroda THEN Padilla would not be bad…
Still sign yet another project, if possible, as teams may have already learned you will not, without the grace of God, have all 5 guys intact over the course of the season.
The World Champion San Francisco Giants disagree with your assessment about keeping all five starters healthy for an entire season (Wellemeyer was a placeholder for Bumgarner all along). Then again, I’m not a religious man, but it sure seemed like divine intervention was on their side during the postseason…so, who knows?
Wait who the World Series again?
Wait weren’t you the guy that said Jeff Francoeur would be the next Jose Bautista?
I like Justin Marks a lot. He has really good stuff. He and Will Smith (and obviously Vin Mazzaro, but not Sean O’Sullivan) are two nice minor league additions.
Just to be clear, is O’Sullivan not a guy that belongs in the minor leagues or not a good addition?
the latter. Vin Mazzaro does not belong in the minors if thats how it sounded.
Is Will Smith by any chance from the Western part of Philadelphia?
Yes. He also lived in Bel-Air. I think there’s a show.
On a playground, is where he spent most of his days.
Surely he wasn’t chillin out, maxin, relaxin’ all cool?
Perhaps he was shootin’ some b-ball outside of school?
He was, until a couple of guys, who were up to no good, made some trouble in his neighborhood.
He got in one little fight. His mom got scared.
And said you’re going to play baseball for the Los Angeles Angels.
Oooooooh I really hope Craig re-signs with my beloved Crewers!!!
kuroda will resign with the dodgers
I’ll take the Nats.
he wont go to the nats.he likes LA. And wants to wins games
Doubtful. I would not be surprised if Kuroda was one of the first upper tier FA to sign. As a type B and only wanting a one year deal (I believe) it would make sense. Would not be surprised if Oak signed him to free up another arm to trade.
“Iwakuma, meet your new best friend Kuroda”…yep
I’m pretty sure Kuroda doesn’t have to worry about his team sacrificing a draft pick to sign him.
Do the A’s have any players with significant value other than the 4 that Beane won’t trade? Sounds like the “power hitter” he’s going to bring in, is some old scrap heap guy.
I understand the A’s need to bring in a power hitter and I will be the first to admit that David DeJesus is not Nelson Cruz.
However, the DeJesus bashing really has to stop. DeJesus plays plus defense in the corners. He hits for average, has never had an OBP below .350, and he will hit about 10 HRs over the course of the season. His WAR in 2008 was 2.6 and 3.3 in 2009. In 2010 he accumulated a WAR of 2.6 in half a season. The point being, he is a good player and he should be worth every penny of his small 6 million dollar salary.
How much will Kurpoda get? I was thinking 2 years 16 million
I don’t believe he wants 2 years honestly
they’ve got plenty of prospects…
is it just me, or does it sound like Beane means business? Trying to make the playoffs the same year of his movie maybe? Haha.
I’m still struggling with the idea that Royce Clayton is playing Miguel Tejada.
I know! How does that make any sense? It’s strange.
I always thought Tejada looked like that kid from Phantom Menace, only older and from the Caribbean. The kid should be the right age by now…if they could just douse him in makeup, teach him to play shortstop, and teach him to act, he’d be perfect.
Which kid in Phantom Menance?
Or are you talking about Billy Zane from The Phantom (Dear god, how do I even know that)? Billy Zane has much lighter skin, but there is a little resemblance to Tejada.
Well Konerko might only want a 2 year deal. That seems like enough short term.
That’s what i was thinking…
I think by short term they mean a one year deal not worth anything so if brandon allen or who ever they have in the system to play first is ready sooner than they thought they can bring said player up and release the signed player…you know
There is no up-and-coming 1B in the AZ system for the next couple years. Allen already has 7 minor league seasons. If Towers thought Allen was a legitimate option, he would have said as much. A 2-year Konerko deal makes perfect sense.
“I will trade ANYONE…except my only four guys that have any trade value.”
i wonder what bailey feels about not being one of the 4 untouchable guys…
Suzuki and Barton have good value. Both probably have more value that Braden and maybe Equal to gonzalez
Cahill, Anderson, GG, and… Braden? Ha! I would have trade him and Vin Mazzaro for a Chris Young type players days ago!
u mean the same chris young that was injured all year ???
Lol I was waiting for Boras to start his yearly shenanigans.
I’m just wondering if this is the strangest one yet.
The man is damn good at what he does though I will give him that. Hell, Boras could probably get ME a 5 million dollar contract and I haven’t played baseball since the 5th grade.
I think it is.
How soon people forget the Oliver Perez/Sandy Koufax comparison…
We’ve got a win-nah!
Just last year, Boras listed “I would let him babysit my kids” as one of Beltre’s selling points. I kid you not, look it up. It was reported right here on MLBTR.
this latest one sounds like the chick who told me she never did that before…
Scott Boras has never seen more interest in a player as Adrian Beltre? Man, the audacity of his hustle. He never runs out of hyperbole to pimp his players, does he?
It’s his job. Like it or not. He is the best.
Ahh, Scott Boras and his typical bs. I can’t wait to start hearing about the “Mystery Team”