The A's announced their multiyear deal with Trevor Cahill today; here are some related notes and reactions to the deal:
- Gio Gonzalez told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he wouldn't mind a deal of his own (Twitter link). "It looks like everyone in the rotation is getting a deal. I'm crossing my fingers!" MLBTR's Luke Adams examined the possibility of a Gonzalez deal yesterday.
- Billy Beane won't discuss which player(s) he's considering for possible extensions, but he told Slusser that extending young players is a template for success for small and mid-market teams (Twitter link).
- As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes pointed out last month, Daric Barton is another extension candidate.
- Beane says Cahill has impressed him by learning quickly, according to Slusser. "I've never seen someone make such great strides in such a short amount of time," Beane said (Twitter link).
- For comparison's sake, I took a look at Brett Anderson's extension, signed a year ago this week.