Major League Baseball announced the results of the fan voting for the 2011 All-Star Game starters last weekend, so let's take a look at how those 17 players were acquired…
- Rickie Weeks, Brewers – First round pick (2nd overall) in 2003.
- Ryan Braun, Brewers – First round pick (5th overall) in 2005.
- Derek Jeter, Yankees – First round pick (6th overall) in 1992.
- Prince Fielder, Brewers – First round pick (7th overall) in 2002.
- Brian McCann, Braves – Second round pick in 2002.
- Alex Avila, Tigers – Fifth round pick in 2008.
- Matt Kemp, Dodgers – Sixth round pick in 2003.
- Adrian Gonzalez, Red Sox – Acquired from the Padres for Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes, and Eric Patterson in December 2010.
- Curtis Granderson, Yankees – Acquired from the Tigers as part of a three-team trade that cost the Yankees Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson, and Phil Coke in December 2009.
- Jose Bautista, Blue Jays – Acquired from the Pirates for Robinzon Diaz in August 2008.
- Josh Hamilton, Rangers – Acquired from the Reds for Edinson Volquez and Danny Ray Herrera in December 2007.
- Lance Berkman, Cardinals – Signed a one-year, $8MM contract in December 2010.
- Placido Polanco, Phillies – Signed a three-year, $18MM contract in December 2009.
- Alex Rodriguez, Yankees – Re-signed to a ten-year, $275MM contract in November 2007. Was originally acquired from the Rangers for Alfonso Soriano and Joaquin Arias in February 2004.
- David Ortiz, Red Sox – Signed a one-year, $1.25MM contract in January 2003.
International Free Agency
- Robinson Cano, Yankees – Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2001.
- Jose Reyes, Mets – Signed out of the Dominican Republic in August 1999.
Jeter and A-Rod have withdrawn from the game due to nagging injuries and have been replaced in the starting lineup by Asdrubal Cabrera and Adrian Beltre, respectively. The Indians acquired Cabrera from the Mariners for Eduardo Perez in June 2006. Beltre signed with Texas as a free agent in January 2011, landing a five-year. $80MM contract.