The press caught up with Brewers GM Doug Melvin and owner Mark Attanasio this afternoon. Here are some highlights..
- When asked if he could spend big on one free agent and still fill other holes on the team, Melvin said, "Probably not at this time," tweets Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
- Melvin has not talked with Jose Reyes' agent since their first phone conversation and ceded that the talks don't have a great deal of momentum at this point, tweets Haudricourt.
- Both Melvin and owner Mark Attanasio made it clear they expect to contend in 2012, with or without the services of Prince Fielder, according to Haudricourt (via Twitter).
- Attanasio called arbitration eligible third baseman Casey McGehee a bounce-back candidate, indicating that the Brewers will tender him a contract, tweets Adam McCalvy of MLB.com.
- Melvin keeps saying that Yuniesky Betancourt is better than his critics say and that makes Haudricourt (via Twitter) think that Betancourt will return as the team's starting shortstop.
Good God. Another 162 games with Y? Betancourt. Somebody up there hates me.
I’m going to cry if this happens.
Im a Cardinals fan and I really hope your GM sacks up and signs Reyes.. that dude is so fun to watch, plus it would take attention off Nyger Morgan.
Reyes scares me long-term. Would love it short-term though.
And I can’t stand Morgan either. Love it when he helps the team win, but I could do without his “personality (ies)”.
Yeah, sign Reyes so that he and Weeks can hang out while rehabbing various injuries during the season.
Better for my sanity than Betancourt.
Maybe they could braid each other’s hair.
yeah the brewers attendance will drop by a few hundred thousand if yuni is SS again no matter what… everybody hates this guy. Melvin has no idea what a good defender looks like and he never has
YB actually showed up in the playoffs. But still….he sucks.
Barmes is the obvious replacement, and will cost a bit less.
That’d be my choice.
I don’t think I’d be able to tell the difference between Weeks and Reyes