The press caught up with Brewers GM Doug Melvin and owner Mark Attanasio this afternoon. Here are some highlights..
- When asked if he could spend big on one free agent and still fill other holes on the team, Melvin said, "Probably not at this time," tweets Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
- Melvin has not talked with Jose Reyes' agent since their first phone conversation and ceded that the talks don't have a great deal of momentum at this point, tweets Haudricourt.
- Both Melvin and owner Mark Attanasio made it clear they expect to contend in 2012, with or without the services of Prince Fielder, according to Haudricourt (via Twitter).
- Attanasio called arbitration eligible third baseman Casey McGehee a bounce-back candidate, indicating that the Brewers will tender him a contract, tweets Adam McCalvy of MLB.com.
- Melvin keeps saying that Yuniesky Betancourt is better than his critics say and that makes Haudricourt (via Twitter) think that Betancourt will return as the team's starting shortstop.