I'll be at the wheel until 8am again as part of MLBTR's 24/7 Winter Meetings coverage. Here's tonight's batch of overnight quick hits that will be updated throughout the wee hours of the morning…
- After speaking with several Orioles executives yesterday, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun has a gut feeling that an O's trade will take place today. Connolly notes that Adam Jones, Matt Wieters, and Nick Markakis won't be going anywhere, though.
- Adam LaRoche says he's 100% and ready for Opening Day, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that the Nationals would still like to add a right-handed insurance policy at first base that could also platoon with LaRoche if needed.
- The Giants are looking to add offense but aren't comfortable offering three-year deals — at least not yet, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Morosi speculates that Twins free agents Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel seem like three-year types. Personally, I think Cuddyer will have an easier time finding three years than Kubel.
- Jon Heyman of the MLB Network tweets that the Giants also met with Tim Lincecum's agent, Rick Thurman of the Beverly Hills Sports Council, on Monday, but talks didn't progress much. Over the weekend, it was reported that the Giants are seeking a four-year deal while Lincecum prefers to either sign for eight years, or stick to a one- or two-year deal.
- White Sox outfielder Carlos Quentin is aware that he's a trade candidate and is eager to learn his fate, writes MLB.com's Scott Merkin.
- George Sherrill is on the Phillies' radar, writes MLB.com's Todd Zolecki. Phillies special advisor Pat Gillick told reporters on Monday that it would be nice to add a veteran left-hander to complement Antonio Bastardo.
don’t worry the giants will offer someone a three year deal. they’re just trying to narrow it down to the right 36 year old first.
That’s cool you guys are doing 24 hour coverage. This is a great site for many reasons and that just adds to it.
In regards to this post, I wonder where Quentin ends up. The Phillies somehow (Mets fan here so this angers me but it is true) still have a decent farm system and have the pieces to attain him and, if healthy, is as good if not better than any other free agent their looking at. I think that’s a definite possibility for where he lands.
A three way trade with the Braves, Rockies and White Sox could move maximize all three teams lineups with Prado, Smith and Quentin as the key players
Carlos Quentin would fit nicely in the Reds line-up…As they are looking for a Clean-up hitting RHB COF..One that could split Votto & Bruce….And the Reds have the pieces available to make a deal happen.
(Only concerns are his DEF, but knowing who they’ve run out in LF these last several yr…He’d be par for the course on that front….And the fact that he could be a 1yr rental.)
I’d be fine w/ offering up RP Logan Ondrusek, 3B/DH Juan Francisco & 2B Chris Valaika for Quentin & Cash…If there was some assurances that he would be in CIN, at min. 2yrs.
Triple Hawpes Brewed
Nick Markakis is so overrated. The Orioles should be cognizant of that and trade him for well more than he’s worth. Apparently they don’t, and that’s why they are the Orioles…
Oh, I dunno. His contract is kind of prohibitive for a trade to occur.
Plus, he’s popular with most Oriole Fans.
I fear sir that you have been sipping on too much of your brew. Markakis is sooooo underrated. His arm and defense are among the best ever at his position and plays almost every day without complaints. No he does not hit a lot of HRs, but if that is the measure then the White Sox made a good deal on Adam Dunn.
You sure you have any idea what you are talking about?
Markakis is underrated period. Defensive monster, team player, non-headcase, non-inujury prone (so far) above average hitter, fan favorite….They would have to be blown away to move him I would think.
Here are a few things that are wrong with the O’s and their fans.
1) They over value all their players
2) Don’t want to give up anything to get.
I think Markakis is a good player, but should not be one of the “untouchable” players. Have you ever seen this guy come through in the clutch? I haven’t.
If they can get something for they should deal him. Look what happened with B-Rob, we hold onto him and now what. He can’t play 50 games.
All this from an O’s fan.