Some New York links for you die-hards/insomniacs/early-risers on the East coast…
- Newsday's Ken Davidoff feels that public relations needs to stop being such a factor in the Mets' thinking. His plan for 2012 consists of keeping Angel Pagan and Mike Pelfrey, and signing Frank Francisco to close. If and when they're out of it in July, Davidoff feels Pagan and Pelfrey, along with a solid bullpen arm like Francisco and a revitalized David Wright would fetch a plentiful bounty.
- The Mets' lengthy shopping list consists of a closer, setup man, utility infielder, two backup outfielders, and a catcher, according to Jon Heyman of the MLB Network (on Twitter). Heyman says the largest expenditure for the Amazins will be the closer.
- On a related note, Heyman tweets that the Mets will speak with Jason Isringhausen, though their offer won't be overwhelming.
- In his latest article, Joel Sherman of the New York Post says that some within the Yankees organization feel that 20-year-old center fielder Mason Williams has emerged as their top prospect. While he's yet to even reach High-A ball, Mason possess five tools and the Yankees expect him to develop quickly.
- Sherman also notes that of the three teams that inquired on Daniel Murphy earlier today, the Tigers are the most interested. They view Murphy as a potential third base replacement for Brandon Inge.
I really like Mason Williams. An outfield of Gardner, Granderson, and Williams in two to three years would be fantastic. They’d cover a whole lot of ground out there. Granderson is a top five outfielder in baseball, and Gardner is a top ten. Worst comes to worse, they can always sell Williams for a very good pitcher. We still have Heathcott, although I’m losing faith in him.
Garder is a top 10 outfielder in all of baseball? Oh, brother …
Easily. Look at that stats. Great OBP, steals bases, best defense in the game. Name ten that are better, and let’s start from there.
need i name more hes not in the top 10
0h and upton too
Upton? Only thing he’s better at is hitting home runs. Again, nope.
Crawford is crap. Hamilton can’t stay healthy. Holliday couldn’t stay healthy. Cruz can’t stay healthy. Stanton is too young to count right now. Please, try again another time.
Ok I took your back using facts but now your just asking for trouble. You are on your own now homie!! haha.
And Ethier? Really?
Doesn’t Gardner have the highest WAR of all outfielders?
Just because a guy can hit doesnt mean hes a better left fielder. Better hitter, all of those guys are. Better fielder, NOPE.
crawford? Nah. He flopped on that flyball catch that cost the red sox season…
yes…you do need to say, as well as research more. I myself don’t use WAR in general to say this player is better than that one because a player can amass WAR in many ways. Certainly Gardner is not power hitting run producer worthy of a $100 mil deal like Kemp, etc. However, since WAR is a good tool to sum up total VALUE of a player’s overall performance both offensively and defensively, let’s take a look.
Gardner became a regular full-time player in 2010. Since then….
Most compiled WAR since 2010:
Bautista = 15.2
Hamilton = 12.7
Braun = 12.2
Holliday = 11.7
Gardner = 11.3
Now obviously, most of his value comes from his incredible defense, but last I heard the words “Thomas Cassidy” used was not top 10 offensive player top 10 outfielder, a declaration that SHOULD encompass what a players does on both sides of the field.
Gardner shouldve won the gold glove in left last year. Before you speak go look at his defensive stats. That guy got to more balls in LF than anyone in the LEAGUE!
Mason had a great year and has great tools but I think we need to temper our feelings about him until he at least reaches AA.
This could be a major example of how us “Yankee fans” overvalue our prospects. Williams is a legit prospect and he may reach top 100 status by the end of 2012 but for now, let’s not tag words like “untouchable”, “phenom” or any other superlatives yet.
As for Heathcott, as long as he can stay healthy and quit beating up catchers then he should be fine.
Gardner is the best fielder in the show.
GARDNER IS THE BEST FIELDER IN THE SHOW. Just fixing that for you.
the other one is my little brother stavi.
Who ever is commenting on Gardner either hasnt watched him or doesnt know defense period. There is no better Left Fielder in the game. Name whomever you want you will not change the defensive stats.
Can you proof that sir?
Hi UZR total from 2010-2011 is 50.7. That’s 29.4 more than the #2 guy Zobrist at 21.3.
finally, a Yankee news!
…and yet, another potential top prospect in the making for the Yankees. I really don’t mention Williams much, since he’s still a bit away, but its nice to hear about him.
I just hope we don’t start lavishing too much praise on this guy too soon. That being said, there are a ton of interesting prospects that emerged out of our GCL and rookie ball teams.
New Yankees Top 15 Prospect List
1.Montero – Blue Chip
2.Banuelos – Blue Chip
3.Sanchez – Blue Chip
5.Williams – Blue Chip
7.Bichette.Jr – Blue Chip