It's been nearly a month since the Rangers won the bidding for Yu Darvish, which means the deadline for a deal is approaching. The Rangers have until 4pm CDT Wednesday to work out a deal with the Japanese right-hander. Here’s the latest from Texas…
- Rangers officials continue downplaying the chances of signing both Darvish and Prince Fielder, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports and Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
- Morosi hears that extension talks with Josh Hamilton are on hold at the moment, while the club works on the Darvish deal. Hamilton will earn $13.75MM in 2012 and is set to hit free agency once the season ends.
- Heyman hears that the Rangers are likely to sign Darvish to a contract worth slightly more than the $52MM Daisuke Matsuzaka obtained from the Red Sox.
- The Rangers seem to love the idea of signing Fielder and would become the favorite to land the slugger if the Darvish deal falls through, Heyman writes.
- The Rangers have three unsigned arbitration eligible players: Mike Napoli, Nelson Cruz and Elvis Andrus.
Oh boy! Deadline’s today!
Jon Heyman sure loves shilling for Boras, huh?
I’d rather see Texas get Fielder. Imagine how many home runs he would hit at Rangers Ballpark! I still am not on board with Darvish. There has been too many Japanese pitchers that have failed.
There have been too many white pitchers that have failed too!
John Daniels and the Texas scouting is second to none. Ranger fans should have faith that if they want to invest this much in him…. He is worth it. Dice-K is a pudgy junk baller, Darvish regularly hits 95+ during starts. This deal will get done. I’m on pins and needles, but nonetheless he WILL be signed.
If the Rangers sign both Yu Darvish and Prince Fielder, the Astros might as well just quit playing baseball once 2013 comes around
especially since pujols decided to follow them to the al west
Realistically, the Astros have ZERO chance in the AL West for. They have no pitching, barely any good hitters. Both Texas and LA are loaded and will dominate the division for years to come….at least until the Mariners and A’s get their prospects to the majors. even then, it will take some time for that
Why the Astros dig? The Rangers rebuilt from nothing and by losing the next couple of seasons, the Astros are going to rebuild their farm system. If they are willing to spend, they could contend in 3-5 years.
It was just sarcasm. But seriously, its gonna be tough for a team with such little talent at the moment to compete with teams like the rangers and angels have tons of power and great hitters. I know they loaded up prospects from the Bourn and Pence trades but alot of those prospects arent close to reaching the majors.
The difference is, the rangers had a legitimate trade piece (texiera) and they got a steal. They also made very good trades (Hamilton,Napoli, the list goes on). The Astros do not have the front office that the rangers do.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but as I remember from the media frenzy during the Red Sox/Matsuzaka negotiations they don’t need to have everything completely done by the deadline, just the basic principles.
The deadline is only to see who blinks first on the extra year in Darvish’s contract. It sounds like it is done for the most part. I expect a noon signing announcement followed by a phone call to Boras with a exploding offer on Fielder–here is the deal–sign now or it goes off the table and best of luck with the Nationals, Cubs and Mariners.