On this date in 2003, Reed Johnson became the fourth player in history to hit a lead-off homer and a walk-off homer in the same game. The then-26-year-old rookie opened the bottom of the first with a solo homer off Shawn Estes and ended the game by opening the bottom of the tenth with a solo homer off Mark Guthrie. Here's the latest from around the web…
- Redbird Rants interviewed Cardinals top prospect Shelby Miller.
- Seedlings to Stars interviewed Patrick Wisdom, the 52nd overall pick in the draft.
- Infield Shift interviewed Braves prospect J.R. Graham.
- SF Giants Rumors spoke to Baseball America's Jim Callis about the Giants' draft class.
- Baseball Time in Arlington wrote about Andre Ethier's extension and Josh Hamilton.
- River Ave. Blues wrote about Ethier's deal and its impact on the Yankees.
- Prospect Insider mused about a potential Jason Vargas extension.
- AL Eastbound & Down wrote about a potential Edwin Encarnacion trade.
- BoSox Injection says it's time for the Red Sox to trade Kevin Youkilis.
- MLB Prospect Watch wrote about the Tigers and Carlos Quentin.
- Meanwhile, MLB Reports thinks the Padres should trade Quentin.
- Dr. Strangeglove likes the idea of the Pirates pursuing Chase Headley.
- Obstructed View broke down Alfonso Soriano's trade value.
- Nolan Writin' says the Rangers don't need to add a starting pitcher.
- Lasorda's Lair thinks the Dodgers need a bat more than Ryan Dempster.
- Feeling Dodger Blue lists some potential trade targets for the Dodgers.
- Warehouse Worthy wonders if the Orioles should be buyers at the deadline.
- Crashburn Alley explains why the Phillies need to sell now.
- Kings of Kauffman wrote about Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, and Super Two status.
- Talkin' Sox with Dan thinks the Red Sox need Ryan Kalish.
- Cleveland Indians Perspective analyzed the Indians' draft haul.
- South Side Showdown looked at White Sox GM Kenny Williams' draft history.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.
Kalish probably does get the call very soon. he has been rocking the ball over the last 2 weeks in his rehab stint. Had he not been LH, probably already been called up in fact and IMO should be on the 25 man roster already, but not taking Pods place, but McDonald’s. Kalish can play any OF position and play them well. They can still have Nava in a few days as the token RH bat for the next few days, or until the 19th when Ross is projected to return from the DL and McDonald is DFA’d anyway.
why would ethiers deal impact the yankees? Swisher will prob not get a new contract with them unless he takes a team friendly contract. not with cano who has to be signed and is due atleast 80 million. and resign russell martin. AND their trying to get under the 189 million dollar threshold by 2014.
Tigers don’t have the secondary prospects to get Quentin and I am sure they aren’t going to be dumb and offer either turner or Castellonas. Padres don’t need another catcher in their system, and Brantly isnt good enough to be the lead piece for quentin.