It's possible that tonight was the last start Francisco Liriano will make as a member of the Twins. Liriano entered with a 2.84 ERA with a 10.9 K/9 and 4.0 BB/9 since May 30, but was shelled for seven runs in 2 2/3 innings. Here are some links surrounding the division…
- After swinging a major trade to acquire Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante earlier today, Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski says his team is "set at this point," according to Jason Beck of MLB.com (on Twitter).
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that Jonathan Broxton, Jose Mijares, Yuniesky Betancourt, and Jeff Francoeur have all been made available by the Royals.
- Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune passes along a video interview with White Sox GM Kenny Williams stating, "There's no sense" in acquiring a marginal upgrade to his rotation. Williams implies that his club will only be interested in adding a front-line pitcher, and that he's willing to look at prospect deals to improve his club in the short-term. Williams is also optimistic that John Danks, currently on the DL, can return and improve his team's rotation.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports speculates that Carlos Quentin's recent extension could push teams into overpaying the Twins to acquire Josh Willingham (video link).
- Morosi also discusses the impact of the trade that sent Brett Myers to the White Sox.
Don’t think Detroit made a good move. He gave up a top pitching prospect for a rental and a mediocre player. For Hamels, Greinke or Garza it would be different, but for anibal?
that mediocre player in Infante is a HUGE improvement over the sub-replacement .193/.265/.273 they have received from their 2B this season. —46 wRC+ for Tigers 2B; 104 wRC+ for Infante. that’s huge.
Compared to the scrubs they have been playing, but look at what the Yankees got Ichiro for. The tigers could have certainly gotten someone else. My problem with the trade isn’t the players they got, but who they gave up. They gave up someone they were hesitant to give up for 2 years of garza in the offseason.
ichiro is a future first ballot HOF, but his 2012 numbers have been far worse than infante’s. and he’s a corner OF while ichiro’s a 2B (positional scarcity).
and jacob turner’s stock has dropped. acquiring a rental frontline starter and an average 2B for that package may be a slight overpay, but not particularly a bad one especially considering the state of the al central.
I’m sure there planning an extension, 5/60-75 mil would be my guess.
Doubt it. Detroit’s payroll is already $133M. And its kind of pathetic they had to give so much time to Boesch, Raburn, and Young. And even worse if they hadn’t gotten lucky with Quintin.
Hammels will be in the 100 mil range, but I don’t think Sanchez gets too close to 15. 12 seems more plausible. He’s making 8 this year, so 10-12 doesn’t seem too unrealistic. Although, a ball club should find a better way to spend 12 mill a year.
I kind of feel the same. But I think it’s the draft pick swap that makes it ok with me. Not to mention Turners stock is dropping fast. I just wish they would have traded Oliver before his stock reached the point its at now.
Liriano will stay because the twins asking price is ridiculous, hes open to have huge up but even more gigantic downs, cant give up good prospect for such a pitcher, have fun losing him in free agency twins, :]
Reality check for MN after tonight. If they had any offers on the table before tonight they should have closed. Asking price just went down in ChiTown.
Yuniesky Betancourt is available?!?!?!?!?! Where does my team get in on THAT?
You get him for the rest of the year. We re-sign him in the off season. Its how it works.
the world’s worst ponzi scheme…..ever
Finally, Kenny Williams is acting like a rational GM! They could use a better 4th outfielder than Jordan Danks, but that’s not really a priority. The Sox don’t have enough to get a top of the rotation starter during a mid season trade.If they get Danks back and he pitched as good as 3rd starter then the Sox will be successful.
Franceour had a very good 2011. He is a decnt player. But we need starting pitching and need to move an OF. Some of the fans will be disappointed because he is a great guy and the fans gravitate to his fun personality. But this about winning and what we need to correct.