Though an MLB.com report of a near agreement on a Brad Ziegler trade between the Cubs and Marlins was ultimately retracted, there’s still plenty of chatter on the veteran submariner, who looks quite likely to change hands today. Ziegler is owed about $2.95MM of his $9MM salary through the end of the season and has pitched to a brilliant 0.93 ERA with 22 strikeouts, 11 walks and a superlative 80.3 percent ground-ball rate in 29 innings over the past two months. Here’s the latest chatter…
- The Marlins are moving closer to a trade involving Ziegler, but the Cubs are not in the mix anymore, tweets Frisaro. The field, it seems, is down to only a couple of teams.
- Meanwhile, both Mish and Nightengale have tweeted that Ziegler has been traded, though multiple reports have stated otherwise. Neither Mish nor Nightengale has been able to glean exactly where Ziegler is headed. It seems fairly obvious that Ziegler will be moved, but things appear to be fluid as the Marlins try to hammer out a final deal.
- Sean McAdam of the Boston Sports Journal, meanwhile, tweets that the Red Sox aren’t likely as they’re prioritizing power arms.
- The Yankees have been in touch with the Marlins about both Cameron Maybin and Ziegler, reports Mark Feinsand of MLB.com (Twitter links). New York has reportedly been eyeing an extra outfielder with Aaron Judge and Clint Frazier on the DL, and Maybin would fit that bill, while Ziegler would further deepen an already solid ’pen by giving them a strong weapon against right-handed opponents.
- The Cubs do not have an agreement in place with the Marlins, but they remain the front-runner to land his services, per MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro. However, other teams remain in the mix to acquire him, per Frisaro, who notes that the Indians, Red Sox, Dodgers and Astros have all scouted Ziegler in recent weeks.
- USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that the Cubs are indeed expected to land a reliever today and are engaged with the Marlins in trade talks surrounding Ziegler (Twitter link).
- SiriusXM’s Craig Mish tweets that the Indians are still in the picture for Ziegler as well. Mish also suggested last night that the Marlins are aiming to move Ziegler to a team that can absorb the remaining money on his contract (roughly $2.95MM, as previously noted above) and also has international bonus pool money to spare. Miami was connected last week to top international prospect Victor Victor Mesa (per MASNsports.com’s Byron Kerr, on Twitter), so it’d be reasonable to see the Fish try to boost their pool as teams await Mesa to be cleared for free agency by MLB.
Wahoo What a Finish!
I like the idea of the Tribe acquiring Ziegler. I think there’s a growing concern within the org that Andrew Miller won’t be able to return to his old form this season as he struggles to get outs in Triple-A so there is a need to fill his role.
I wouldn’t mind the Indians getting him either, but I think it’s more about just needing as many good relievers as possible than anything with Miller. Even if there’s something wrong with him, no one except maybe Hand could even really fill his role anyway.
I’m also a bit worried about Miller, but his stat line from his appearance at Columbus yesterday is more promising:
3 Batters faced
10 Pitches, 8 Strikes
I wish the Cubs would trade for controllable bullpen arm(s) everyone they trade for is a rental. Unless Hamels doesnt po outstanding with like 7 or 8 wins. And helps them win a world series. The Cubs won’t pick up his option. After that. Chavez is a rental.
I’m sure the Tigers would love to do another deal with the Cubs for a controllable reliever(Greene).
Wahoo What a Finish!
To be fair bullpen arms have such short shelf lives the rental market is probably the best way to go. Look at Holland… two years ago he was the best bullpen arm in baseball and now he’s out of a job.
That’s a great point. And in reality the Cubs bullpen is their strength of their pitching outside of Jon Lester. Anyone one that’s reliable is a good addition.
Ziegler for Ockimey, someone in the 20-30 range (infielder?),and pool space.
Do we really need an entire post dedicated to Brad Ziegler rumors?
It’s the “Z” factor.
Yes we do. Its called MLB Trade Rumors and this is a hot rumor
yankees again on an rp. CC you only have to pitch 3 innings. our pen has the rest
thinking yanks might have an undisclosed starting
pitcher problem they are holding back on releasing
until after deadline
If so then their focus should be on a starter not an rp. Ziegler won’t help an SP problem. they do have to be a little concerned however with severino over the last few starts.
yes agreed and cc also
both are fatigued and need to
miss a couple of starts after bosox
series – was making a general comment
think cashman gets a defensive outfielder
with base stealing skills by end of day
Now let’s see some Dolph Ziggler rumors
just heard that Ziegler just got traded but don’t know the team. anyone know.
Hiroshima Toyo Carp
i don’t think he’d fare too well pitching at Mazda Stadium
Tom E. Snyder
And the winner is the D’backs and they weren’t even mentioned.