July 4: The Twins have revealed that Miguel Sano was the fourth player to have tested positive for the coronavirus, as reported by Betsy Helfand of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. As of yesterday, we were aware that Astudillo, Gordon, and Colina were among those who had received positive test results. Evidently, Sano is the fourth player who will be barred from participating in team activities until recording two negative tests. It’s worth mentioning that two other Twins, Cody Stashak and Byron Buxton, will also be absent from camp, but not for health-related reasons; both are on paternity leave.
July 3: Twins utilityman Willians Astudillo has tested positive for COVID-19, the Twins announced today. Dan Hayes of The Athletic was among those covering the news on Twitter.
Fortunately, it does not appear as if Astudillo has had a worrying reaction to the disease to this point. He’s said to be symptom-free at the moment.
The Twins reported three other players that have active coronavirus infections. Edwar Colina and Nick Gordon are among them, having previously tested positive. Both are in the 60-man player pool; Gordon is on the 40-man. Neither player has to this point debuted in the majors.
It would certainly be unfortunate should the Twins open the season without Astudillo. He’s one of the game’s most offbeat players — and not only because of his barrel-chested figure and high-energy approach to the game. Astudillo is not just bemusing but also legitimately interesting as a player, owing to his blend of positional versatility (including catcher, his primary position) and unusual proclivity to put the ball in play (career 2.3% walk rate, 3.7% strikeout rate). Though he was not as effective last season as in his brief 2018 debut, Astudillo was and is expected to be an important part of the Minnesota roster this year.
NOOOO NOT LA TORTUGA
Frankly if the Ninja can get it, well we’re all f*****. I still remember his triple with astonishment. I wish him & all other sufferers well…
wishing the Willianaire a speedy recovery!
2006 Bartolo? Is that you?
Hopefully he developes no symptoms.
NO NOT HIM
With so many testing positive just 2 days into camp, it’s just a matter of time before SOMEBODY is hospitalized.
Only 1.2% tested positive and they likely contracted it before arriving at camp. Now we’re hearing some of the names as part of the initial testing.
and its not like its an odds thing, like X% of cases involve hospitalization, so eventually one here will. again, MLB players are not a representative sample of the whole US population, nor do MLB employed individuals make up a large portion of the US population.
Every out of shape, nonathletic, overweight, not all that attractive man in America is feeling diminished this night…..the Mighty Tortuga has fallen ill……
Now I know how Yoda felt as the Jedi were being destroyed by the Sith…..
There is a tragic disturbance in the Force…..
I don’t understand players refusing to disclose. It’s not a stigma or embarrassing unless you need to trace to places you don’t want mentioned.
As a businessman who works very close with my clients, I would want everyone to know for THEIR own safety.
Things may be looking up for Big Sexy!
immense credit to these guys for allowing their names to be public. it is a selfless way to raise awareness.
Awareness for what? Everyone knows whats happening. People just choose not to believe it
What happened to the comments in the story “Cleveland Indians To Consider Name Change” published yesterday 7/3? Did every comment except for one violate this safe place?
I told you it was going to be Sano. It’s always something with him…reporting in out of shape, not working to improve all aspects of his game, freak injuries, not recovering from injuries because he doesn’t take care of himself, not getting charged for getting into a fight, accusations of sexual molestation…he needs to grow up and do so now!