Odds & Ends: Pomeranz, Marlins, Everett, Valentine

Links for Wednesday…

Red Sox Interested In Adam Everett

The Red Sox have some interest in Adam Everett, a source tells Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. The defense-first shortstop is a free agent and would cost Boston only $220K. The Tigers, who released Everett, would be responsible for the rest of his salary.

Everett's salary would not prevent the Red Sox from adding him, but roster space could. Bradford says the Red Sox won’t likely sign Everett or anyone else until a roster spot opens up. Everett seems like a fit, since Boston is looking to add a defensively-oriented shortstop to back up Marco Scutaro, according to assistant GM Ben Cherington. The Red Sox, who now have Bill Hall backing up at short, drafted Everett back in 1998.

Boston’s Areas Of Need

Red Sox assistant GM Ben Cherington told Jim Bowden of Sirius XM Radio that Boston will consider improving its bullpen, adding a defense-first shortstop and finding outfield help this summer (Twitter link). Red Sox relievers have combined for a 4.18 ERA and a 1.85 K/BB ratio, so the 'pen has pitched respectably. Still, the team could use a top arm or two behind Jonathan Papelbon and Daniel Bard.

Adam Everett, now a free agent, would likely be an option for any club looking to acquire a strong defensive shortstop. The Red Sox could also consider John McDonald, who backed up current Boston shortstop Marco Scutaro when both were with the Blue Jays last year.

Mike Cameron, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jeremy Hermida and J.D. Drew have all missed time with injuries this year, but replacements like Daniel Nava and Darnell McDonald have filled in admirably. The Red Sox just called up Josh Reddick, but could look outside the organization for outfield help. David DeJesus seems like a fit, since the Red Sox would prefer to add a left-handed hitter.

Odds & Ends: Sheets, Matthews Jr., Cubs, Red Sox

A few more links for Monday night….

  • A scout tells John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle (Twitter link) that he didn't know of any teams scouting Ben Sheets this past weekend.
  • John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer tweets that there's no risk to the Reds signing Gary Matthews Jr., but that he still wouldn't do it.
  • Jack Moore of Fangraphs explains how he thinks the Cubs should approach the trading deadline.
  • The Red Sox will have the financial flexibility to make a move or two this summer in part because of their abundance of homegrown pitching talent, according to MLB.com's Peter Gammons.
  • Bob Ford of the Philadelphia Inquirer says the Phillies may need to acquire an arm for the back of their bullpen.
  • With July 31st fast approaching, MLB.com's beat writers are fielding a slew of questions about possible trades. Check out mailbags from Anthony Castrovince (Indians), T.R. Sullivan (Rangers), Joe Frisaro (Marlins), and Chris Haft (Giants) for their thoughts on the trade market.

Rockies Notes: Uggla, Wigginton, Iannetta

Following Troy Tulowitzki's wrist injury, the Rockies are considering their next move, hoping to stay in contention in a competitive NL West. Troy Renck of the Denver Post has a few tidbits on their potential plans, in a series of tweets:

Odds & Ends: Giants, D’Backs, Rivera, Ramos

Some links for Monday, before Mike Leake tries to restore order for the Reds…

Amateur Draft Signings: Monday

We'll keep you posted as soon as we hear news of teams' deals with their 2010 draftees. Be sure to track the progress of this year's first and supplementary round picks right here. For now, here are today's signings:

Rosenthal On Yankees, Oswalt, White Sox, Beltre

The Yankees are not actively looking for a utility infielder, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Rosenthal names Willie Bloomquist, John McDonald and Jayson Nix as options the Yanks could consider should they decide that they want more experience than Kevin Russo and Ramiro Pena can offer. Here are the rest of Rosenthal's rumors:

  • Adrian Beltre will almost certainly reject his player option after the season and re-enter free agency. He has been one of the game's best players this year, rating characteristically well on defense (according to UZR) and hitting .336/.371/.528.
  • The Mariners won't necessarily get a first round pick in next year's draft if they hold onto Cliff Lee. First of all, a losing team could sign Lee (the first 15 picks are protected). Secondly, a team could sign Lee and a free agent who ranks higher under the Elias system. That would mean the Mariners get a supplementary rounder and a second rounder.
  • If the Rangers are sold before the winter, they could be a potential landing spot for Carl Crawford, one executive suggested.
  • Rosenthal hears that Astros owner Drayton McLane is not against the idea of trading Roy Oswalt to Texas, though the Rangers' ability to take on payroll and the pitcher's no-trade clause could prevent a deal from going through.
  • The Marlins inquired on Matt Thornton back when the White Sox were sellers. Now, the White Sox would not consider dealing the left-hander.
  • If White Sox GM Kenny Williams becomes a buyer, he may pursue a left-handed bat.
  • The Mariners want major league or major league-ready hitters for Cliff Lee, but the Dodgers' best prospects are a few years away from the majors.
  • The Rockies are interested in Ty Wigginton, according to Rosenthal's colleague, Tracy Ringolsby.
  • The Rays will look for impact players at the trade deadline.

Odds & Ends: Sale, Astros, Shealy, Orioles

Links for Sunday night..

  • Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune points out that even though Sale signed for less than anticipated, a quick promotion to the majors would start his service time clock sooner.
  • Jim Callis of Baseball America tweets that more teams should be willing to test the resolve of college juniors, like the White Sox were with Chris Sale.
  • The moves the Astros made earlier this evening will make them younger, faster, and possibly better defensively, writes Alyson Footer of MLB.com.
  • Ryan Shealy believes that his new club will afford him a better opportunity to make a big league roster, writes Paul Kenyon for The Providence Journal.  Shealy was signed by Boston and placed in Triple-A after exercising his opt-out clause with the Rays.
  • O's scouting director Joe Jordan is hopeful that the club's agreement with fourth-round pick Trent Mummey will get the ball rolling for the rest of the team's top draftees, writes MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli.  Baltimore has now agreed to terms with 26 of their 49 selections.

Odds & Ends: Grandal, Red Sox, Salazar, Rockies

A few links to check out while we wait to see if the Rays can avoid falling out of first place for the first time in nearly two months…

Show all