Boston Acquires Niuman Romero

The Red Sox have acquired infielder Niuman Romero from the Indians for cash considerations, tweets Paul Hoynes of The Plain Dealer.  The 25-year-old has been in Cleveland's farm system since 2005.

Romero made his major league debut in September of last season, appearing in 10 games for the Tribe.  He saw his first promotions to Double-A and Triple-A in 2009, where he was less than stellar offensively.  The native of Venezuela hit .240/.306/.292 in his stops in Akron and Columbus.

The acquisition comes days after the BoSox DFA'd Kevin Frandsen, who was claimed by the Angels.

Odds & Ends: Red Sox, Howard, Francisco, Mendoza

Links to check out as we await Cliff Lee's Mariners debut…

Angels Claim Kevin Frandsen

7:03pm: Dan Barbarisi of The Providence Journal reports that Frandsen has in fact been claimed by the Angels. It's believed that he's been assigned to their Triple-A affiliate.

THURSDAY, 2:49pm: It appears that the Angels claimed Frandsen off waivers, based on this tweet from outfielder Chris Pettit.

WEDNESDAY, 2:48pm: The Red Sox designated infielder Kevin Frandsen for assignment to make room for Alan Embree, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.  Frandsen had been acquired from the Giants on March 26th for a player to be named later or cash.  He played 17 games at Pawtucket, tallying 71 plate appearances.

Frandsen, 28 in May, hit .295/.352/.438 at Triple A last year while playing all four infield positions.  Three years ago, Baseball America viewed Frandsen as a "solid No. 2 hitter" and potential starting second baseman.  However, he was derailed by a ruptured Achilles tendon in the spring of '08.  Back in March, Henry Schulman if the San Francisco Chronicle wrote about Frandsen's frustrations and his new attitude adopted while playing winter ball.

Stark On Fielder, Howard, Sizemore, Frasor

Jayson Stark's latest Rumblings and Grumblings column is hot off the press at ESPN.com.  Let's take a look.

  • Stark explains that the potentially legendary 2012 first base free agent class may be further depleted, as Albert Pujols is expected to stay in St. Louis and Adrian Gonzalez could be traded and extended by his new team.  Even Lance Berkman might stay put, leaving Prince Fielder as the remaining big name.  There are some who rank Fielder below Ryan Howard, writes Stark.
  • Stark says the Phillies signed Howard now because they felt a Pujols extension would drive up Howard's price.  For an explanation straight from the horse's mouth, check out Todd Zolecki's MLB.com chat with Ruben Amaro Jr. and Pat Gillick. 
  • If the 2012 first base free agent class is loaded, will there be enough teams willing to shell out massive contracts?  Stark says yes, naming a dozen teams he figures could be in the mix.  Don't forget the Nationals and Orioles, two clubs that made huge bids for Mark Teixeira.
  • Jayson Werth's agent Jeff Borris named the Jason Bay and Matt Holliday deals as frames of reference for his client.  Stark takes that to mean Werth will be looking in the $16-17MM range.  My question: does he get five years?
  • One source of Stark's says the Indians have shown zero inclination to trade Grady Sizemore.  Sizemore's $10MM club option for 2012 becomes a player option upon a trade, and Stark feels Sizemore would "almost certainly" exercise it – decreasing his trade value.  That assumes, of course, that Sizemore doesn't turn things around anytime soon.
  • Stark doesn't think the Red Sox have reached a desperation point regarding acquiring a catcher who can throw.  Bringing in a Chris Snyder or a Gerald Laird might necessitate releasing David Ortiz or Mike Lowell.
  • The Orioles have interest in Blue Jays reliever Jason Frasor.
  • In a table, Stark provides an interesting look at teams' guaranteed money rankings for 2011 and '12.  The Dodgers, interestingly, are very light on '12 commitments ($3.3MM).

Odds & Ends: Rosario, Red Sox, Bernazard, Storen

Links for Tuesday….

Red Sox Call Up Alan Embree

The Red Sox have called up lefty reliever Alan Embree from Triple-A, tweets Scott Lauber of The Boston Herald. Embree would have been able to opt out of his minor league contract on April 30th if he had not been called up by then.

The 40-year-old Embree was originally able to opt out of his deal on April 15th, but he agreed to push it back another two weeks. Embree allowed two runs in 7.1 Triple-A innings, but he held lefties to just one walk in 4.1 innings against them.

Boston will need to make a 40-man roster move to accommodate Embree's arrival.

Ortiz Wants To Play “Two Or Three More Years”

There has been a lot of attention paid to Red Sox slugger David Ortiz lately, mostly because he's off to a slow start for the second straight year. However, Ortiz is focused on future, telling WEEI.com's Rob Bradford that he wants to play "Two or three more years and then I’ll take it to the house.”

Ortiz mentioned that he lost 20 pounds over the winter by changing his diet, though he's still hitting just .160/.236/.320 through his first 55 plate appearances. He started last season slow as well, but rebounded in the second half to finish the year with a respectable .238/.332/.462 batting line with 28 homers.

Big Papi is in the final guaranteed year of his contract, during which he'll earn $12.5MM. The team holds an option for next season at the same salary with no buyout, and it's hard to see them exercising that even if his performance recovers similar to last year.

Odds & Ends: Paul, Embree, Zobrist, Wakefield

Links for Monday, as we digest Ryan Howard's $125MM extension

Red Sox Sign Cuban Catcher Ibarra

The Red Sox signed Cuban catcher Adalberto Ibarra to a five-year Major League deal, according to Cubanballplayers.comPeter Abraham of the Boston Globe confirmed the signing with Ibarra's agent Edwin Mejia.  Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald says the deal guarantees $3MM, "with incentives that could bring the total to $4.3MM."  Silverman says Ibarra will report to the team's minor league complex before they decide where to assign him.

Ibarra, 22, played catcher, first base, second base, and third base in Cuba, but Cubanballplayers.com says the Sox view him as a backstop.  According to Silverman, he hasn't focused on catching until the last few years.

Odds & Ends: Fields, Contracts, Suppan, Silva

Links for Sunday….

Show all