Multiple Offers For Kawakami?

Patrick at NPB Tracker writes that Kenshin Kawakami‘s agent says he’s received official offers from "more than one team."

It’s not known which teams offered contracts, but the Braves are interested and Patrick lists the Orioles, Red Sox, Angels, Giants, and Brewers as other possible suitors.

Here’s the link to the Hochi Sports article in Japanese.

Mark Teixeira Rumors: Monday

Some Mark Teixeira nuggets have surfaced around the web…

  • The Angels “appear to have abandoned their usual quick-deadline strategy” according to Jon Heyman. They’ve been known to offer contracts with deadlines, but this year they’re making an exception.
  • Ken Rosenthal writes that the Angels could be “bracing for the loss” of Teixeira to another club.
  • Still, the Red Sox still consider the Angels “a more serious competitor” than the Orioles or Nationals according to New York Times writer Jack Curry.
  • Red Sox GM Theo Epstein didn’t deny that the his team is a “super power financially,” but he told Curry that Boston spends “99%” of its resources on scouting and development. With good reason, Curry suggests that they might be spending more than 1% of their energy on signing Tex.

Odds and Ends: Teixeira, Hunsicker, Burrell

Links for Monday…

Red Sox-Teixeira Rumor

2:34pm: A reader who heard the show says Patrick was only speaking in the hypothetical with the $200MM figure, so Bloom’s post was apparently inaccurate.  This is why I typically avoid radio reports unless I hear them myself…sorry about that.  In listening to the Reggie Miller interview on Patrick’s site he was definitely only giving an opinion during that portion.

2:16pm: Take it with a grain of salt, but we have a report of a report that the Red Sox offered Mark Teixeira an eight-year, $200MM deal.  Earl Bloom of the Orange County Register heard Dan Patrick say it on his radio show.  It’d be best to treat the report with skepticism until it’s confirmed by another source.

Joe Nelson Exploring Options

The Marlins did not tender right-handed reliever Joe Nelson a contract on Friday; however, they have not shut the door on the reliever say Joe Frisaro of mlb.com.

"Nelson’s agent, Doug Schaer, fielded a few inquiries on Saturday regarding the 34-year-old right-hander, who is now a free agent. Working within a tight budget, Florida was offering about $650,000 for Nelson, who might be able to top $800,000 on the open market. Nelson was a valuable setup man last year, posting a 3-1 record with a 2.00 ERA in 59 games. He also has experience closing."

Despite Nelson being the only player non-tendered by the Marlins, there do not appear to be any hard feelings; however, he shouldn’t have much trouble finding a bump in pay from a team with higher payroll. Frisaro lists Kansas City and Boston as potential suitors. Nelson is 34 and lives in the West Palm Beach area.

Juan Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel says Nelson is taking a calculated risk. Both articles note Florida would welcome back Nelson’s veteran presence if he were unable to find what he’s looking for on the open market.

Japanese Free Agent Round-Up: Kawakami, Takahashi, Saito

Patrick at NPB Tracker has an interesting update on some notable Japanese free agents.

NBP Tracker has the source links, which are in Japanese. Kudos to Patrick for keeping those of us that can’t read Japanese in the know.

Alex Walsh can be reached at alexander.walsh@gmail.com.

Braves Interested In Kawakami

Having lost out on A.J. Burnett, the Atlanta Braves are shifting their attention to a different candidate to fill out their starting rotation–33-year old Japanese veteran Kenshin Kawakami.

Dave O’Brien at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the Braves are serious contenders for Kawakami’s services. While teams like the Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels and Orioles are also in on Kawakami, "the Braves are particularly motivated to improve their rotation," O’Brien says.

Failing to sign Burnett is certainly one motivating factor, but O’Brien also mentions the increasing chance that John Smoltz does not return to the Braves in 2009.

Alex Walsh can be reached at alexander.walsh@gmail.com

Angels Made Eight Year Offer To Teixeira

8:44 am: According to Bill Shaikin of the LA Times, the Angels are “believed to have offered at least $160MM.” This would match the Washington offer and put pressure on Boston to match or exceed the offer.

12:03 am: Angels GM Tony Reagins said this evening that he has made an eight-year offer to free agent Mark TeixeiraYesterday we learned the Orioles are around seven years, $140-150MM and the Nationals are at eight years, $160MM.  We’re not sure about the Red Sox.

Jake Peavy Rumors: Saturday

Jake Peavy‘s agent Barry Axelrod explains his client’s preferences:

"Jake has a strong preference to stay in the National League. If Jake’s ever going to accept anything to the American League – and I don’t want this to be taken wrong – I can safely say that it’s going to be the Yankees or Red Sox or maybe the Angels. Those teams are going to be in contention and are going to spend money. If there were circumstances where he would be asked to go to the AL, kicking and screaming, those are the three places."

Also, Padres GM Kevin Towers revealed in a radio interview that the Angels asked about a Peavy-Adrian Gonzalez package deal, but the Padres don’t want to trade Gonzalez.  As a baseball fan, I like it when Towers reveals things like this.  It must be incredibly frustrating for rival GMs though.

Show all