Odds and Ends: Kawakami, Max Ramirez, Lowell
Links for Friday…
- Mets owner Fred Wilpon lost some dough.
- The Red Sox expressed interest in Kenshin Kawakami yesterday. Michael Silverman says Kawakami is expected to choose a team and sign in January (the Orioles are also interested).
- John Perrotto says the Marlins like Max Ramirez and are willing to trade pitching prospect Ryan Tucker.
- Bernie Williams will play winter ball in preparation for the World Baseball Classic.
- Paul Sullivan says Cubs manager Lou Piniella was upset at the thought of losing Mark DeRosa.
- Rany Jazayerli weighs in on the Royals’ signing of Kyle Farnsworth. Joe Posnanski talks about Farnsworth and many other topics.
- Andrew Baggarly says the Giants are not interested in Mike Lowell.
- Bob Elliott says the Blue Jays had an agreement to pay the Braves to take Everth Cabrera seventh in the Rule 5 draft, but the Padres picked him third.
Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Tigers, Braves, Red Sox, Pirates
Today is free agent Orlando Hudson’s 31st birthday and the 29th birthday of Garrett Atkins, the subject of many recent trade rumors.
Also, on this date 10 years ago, Kevin Brown became the first player to sign a contract worth at least $100MM, when he signed a seven-year/$105MM contract with the Dodgers. The deal came when Brown was 34, one season after going 18-7 with a 2.38 ERA. Brown’s first two seasons with the Dodgers (18-9, 3.00 and 13-6, 2.58) were solid, but he would only make 29 starts in years three and four combined. Since then, two pitchers have signed deals for at least six years. Mike Hampton and Barry Zito. That doesn’t bode well for C.C. Sabathia, but it’s a small sample size…With the winter meetings now wrapped up, let’s take a look at what is being said in the Blogosphere…
- Take 75 North feels the Tigers are going to regret acquiring Edwin Jackson and lament the loss of Matt Joyce.
- The Detroit Tigers Weblog does not get the Edwin Jackson/Matt Joyce deal noting that at least Joyce has shown signs of being a very good player.
- When Sid Slid weighs the merits of acquiring Jake Peavy or A.J. Burnett and sees Burnett as the better option.
- Infield Chatter warns the Red Sox about signing Mark Teixeira, feeling Theo Epstein should be more concerned with acquiring a pitcher and noting the Red Sox have Lars Anderson waiting in the minors.
- Pirate Revolution feels the Pirates need to move Adam LaRoche, Freddy Sanchez, Jack Wilson and John Grabow to unblock the paths of younger players.
- DraftInfo has a Q&A with Max Stassi, a high school catcher that is projected to be selected in the first round.
- Fire Brand of the American League takes a look at the impact C.C. Sabathia will have on the AL East.
Cork Gaines writes for RaysIndex.com. If you have a suggestion for this feature, Cork can be reached here.
Lugo For Byrnes Talks Dead?
FRIDAY: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick notes that this deal looks dead now that the D’Backs have signed Felipe Lopez (MLBTR commenters were all over the idea as well).
THURSDAY: According to ESPN’s Steve Phillips, the Red Sox and Diamondbacks are having discussions about swapping Julio Lugo for Eric Byrnes. Lugo would play second base for Arizona, while Byrnes would be Boston’s fourth outfielder. Lugo has $18MM left on his deal, Byrnes $22MM with no-trade protection.
Willy Taveras Will Be Non-Tendered
Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post says to expect outfielder Willy Taveras to join the free agent market:
The Nationals’ unwillingness to take Taveras and Juan Morillo for Tim Redding — a deal Colorado thought was done — will lead the Rockies to non-tender the center fielder today, making him a free agent.
Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News agrees he’ll be non-tendered, noting the Yankees, Red Sox, Reds, Marlins, and White Sox also had trade discussions for Taveras.
Renck adds that Glendon Rusch has a minor league offer for $750K in hand, and is weighing offers from four other clubs. Rusch would be the Rockies’ second lefty behind newly signed Alan Embree.
A few more notes: the Rockies have mild interest in bringing back Josh Fogg…they’re the favorite for Redding if he’s non-tendered too…the Rox will make a non-guaranteed offer to Scott Podsednik…Joey Gathright would be of interest if non-tendered.
Mark Teixeira Rumors: Thursday
9:56:
2:38pm: Tim Brown and Gordon Edes talked to involved execs (not with the Angels) who believe the Boras camp is "using the media to ratchet up the price beyond what any team had actually offered."
Brown and Edes say the Angels were told the Red Sox and Nationals offered eight years at about $20MM per. The Angels don’t want to do an eighth year, so they’ll look into trades for Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, and possibly Adrian Beltre. Raul Ibanez is the top free agent backup plan.
Brown and Edes believe Boras could insist on an opt-out clause in a deal with the Nationals.
8:59am: Mike DiGiovanna says the Angels "are believed to be willing to offer at least seven years for something in the $160-million range" for Tex.
8:51am: Jon Heyman says the Yankees have re-entered the Teixeira sweepstakes.
2:40am: Summing up the reported offers made to Mark Teixeira:
- Orioles: seven years, $140-150MM
- Nationals: eight years, $160MM
- Angels: reluctant to exceed seven years; no offer yet? (Boras implied there was)
- Red Sox: making progress; no offer yet? (Boras implied there was?)
By the way, Joe Haggerty transcribed the full Scott Boras talk from yesterday at his site.
Did Red Sox Make Offer To Varitek?
Yesterday Scott Boras was asked how serious the Red Sox are about keeping Jason Varitek. His reply: "Well, when a Major League team approaches you about a player and offers a contract then I guess that’s serious."
However, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe talked to a source who said the only offer Varitek has received from the Red Sox was the arbitration offer he declined. But then Theo Epstein said today that he made offers to three free agents, Tek among them.
Odds and Ends: Rule 5, Beltre, Schmidt, Bako
Stray links I’ve collected over the past few days…
- John Manuel and Jonathan Mayo get us ready for the Rule 5 draft. Manuel has a second post on it here.
- Sarah Green looks at A.J. Burnett‘s possible commutes.
- LEN3 suggests the Twins might be part of Adrian Beltre‘s limited no-trade clause.
- K-Rod signing analysis from Dave Cameron, Jesse Spector, and Keith Law. Also check out the usual solid analysis over at Ken Davidoff’s blog.
- Law also takes on the Edwin Jackson, Ramon Hernandez, J.J. Putz, and C.C. Sabathia moves.
- The Red Sox are likely to non-tender Kevin Cash. Josh Bard is one free agent on their radar. Also, Tony Massarotti learned that the Red Sox are strongly opposed to opt-out clauses.
- UmpBump found some C.C. Sabathia rumors we missed on Monday. Also, the Brewers’ offer to C.C. had unique clauses and two club options.
- The Dodgers knew Jason Schmidt had a partial rotator cuff tear when they signed him.
- Rany Jazayerli on recent Royals rumors, reliever and otherwise.
- Bruce Miles says the Cubs have some interest in bringing Paul Bako back.
- Jason Davis, Raul Chavez, and R.A. Dickey became free agents. Davis may be headed to Japan.
- Nick Piecoro says Junior Spivey is looking for a job.
- Much of the money saved from recent White Sox trades was repurposed for Dayan Viciedo.
A.J. Burnett Rumors: Wednesday
11:53pm: Not seeing the $91MM rumor on Rosenthal’s blog anymore. Mark Feinsand wrote earlier today it was $80MM. Feinsand even said the Yankees and Burnett were "working into the night on closing a deal." A Mark Bowman source put the Yanks’ offer at $85MM.
10:12pm: Ken Rosenthal says the Yanks are offering $91MM over five years. He also learned that the Yanks will not sign both Burnett and Lowe – just one of them and then possibly other free agent pitchers. Similar to Crasnick’s note below.
9:57pm: Tony Massarotti indicates the Red Sox are out and Burnett will choose between the Yankees and Braves. Jerry Crasnick says that if the Yankees sign Burnett, a third free agent rotation addition would likely be a short-term guy like Ben Sheets as opposed to Derek Lowe.
6:54pm: Jon Heyman believes the Yankees’ five-year offer to Burnett is for $80MM.
6:09pm: Crasnick’s report about the Yanks’ five-year offer to Burnett is online now. Crasnick’s source says a deal could be in place as soon as tomorrow. He says the dollar figure is not known but Burnett’s agent is believed to be seeking a deal approaching Zambrano’s five years, $91.5MM.
6:06pm: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports on TV that the Yankees have offered Burnett a five-year deal.
4:53pm: MLB.com’s Mark Bowman has a Major League source who does not believe the Braves offered Burnett five years.
4:06pm: ESPN’s Keith Law believes bidding on Burnett will exceed the value of Carlos Zambrano‘s contract, which is for $91.5MM over five years.
12:54pm: Rosenthal and Gerry Fraley report that the Braves made an offer to Burnett late Tuesday for $80MM over five years. That guaranteed fifth year could be big.
11:14am: According to Ken Rosenthal, the Braves are pushing hard for A.J. Burnett and talks with him progressed through the night. The Yankees remain involved, however.
Reds Rumors: Baldelli, Rivera, Burrell
11:46pm: Amusing story from Joe McDonald:
A group of Cincinnati Reds personnel, including manager Dusty Baker, were playing roulette Tuesday night. A member of the contingent yelled "Put it on No. 5 for Rocco Baldelli" and now it appears the Reds are having talks with his agent.
McDonald adds that the Red Sox have apparently stepped back with their interest in Baldelli. Buster Olney wrote on Monday that he’d be shocked if Boston didn’t sign Baldelli.
9:24pm: According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds talked to the agents for Rocco Baldelli and Juan Rivera (the agents initiated). Pat Burrell‘s agents also want to meet. Fay says the Reds have at least $10MM to spend.
MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon adds that Moises Alou‘s agent contacted Walt Jocketty, but the Reds aren’t interested. Nor are they interested in Garrett Anderson. Sheldon adds that there’s been "no real activity towards reviving the Jermaine Dye deal."
Mark Teixeira Rumors: Wednesday
11:40pm: Ken Rosenthal says the Red Sox made progress today in their Teixeira talks.
8:45pm: Dave Sheinin says the Nationals offered eight years and $160MM, and Ladson now agrees.
5:38pm: Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun says the Orioles met with Boras last night and apparently made an offer. However, Peter Schmuck says the nine-year, $180MM report was "met with incredulity from O’s officials."
5:33pm: According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Nationals offered Tex an eight-year, $180MM contract. Dave Sheinin talked to a Nationals exec who said in general about the rumors, "Ninety percent of this stuff is pure fabrication."
2:35pm: Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times has the Nats willing to offer ten years at more than $20MM per and the Orioles willing to do nine years also at at least $20MM per year.
1:27pm: Ken Rosenthal and Ed Price heard Teixeira would prefer to be on the East Coast for family reasons. It could be an issue for the Angels.
1:14pm: Yahoo’s Jose Mota (new guy) says the Nationals made an offer to Tex for at least seven years and $150MM.
12:44pm: SI.com’s Jon Heyman talked to two high-ranking baseball officials who predicted Teixeira will get a $200MM deal. Heyman believes two teams already bid $160MM.
11:17am: Dave Sheinin of the Washington Post has heard the Yankees’ signing of C.C. Sabathia takes them out of the running for Tex. The Angels, Red Sox, Nationals, and Orioles will battle for the Boras client.
9:36am: Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times talks about Mark Teixeira:
The Boston Red Sox have emerged as front-runners, and the Washington Nationals, who appear willing to offer eight years and $160 million, could make the most lucrative bid. The Baltimore Orioles are in hot pursuit, the Yankees are lurking, and the Angels are growing more concerned that Teixeira might be slipping away, primarily because they’d like to sign him for six or seven years, not the eight or nine it might take.
