No Oswalt Trade Talks Underway
It shouldn't be long before teams start making deals, but one of the summer's most intriguing trade candidates isn't going anywhere for now. There are no trade talks in the works involving Roy Oswalt, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (via Twitter).
Last week, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported increasing pessimism that the Astros will be able to obtain salary relief and prospects for Oswalt. To complicate matters, Oswalt has a no-trade clause, so he would have to accept a deal, even if a team is willing to take on the $27.4MM remaining on his deal. Oswalt has said he'd go "anywhere" he can contend, but the Astros don't appear close to dealing him.
Odds & Ends: Santana, Morales, Rangers, Mariners
Links for Thursday, as Omar Vizquel goes deep for the first time this year…
- Cleveland manager Manny Acta said Carlos Santana could join the Tribe before the All-Star break, reports Paul Hoynes of The Cleveland Plain Dealer. The club wanted Santana to work on his game-calling and throwing before bringing him up to the majors, but Acta says the young catching prospect is progressing defensively.
- Kendry Morales will indeed miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery, according to Mark DiGiovanna of the LA Times. There had been some hope that Morales could return in 2010.
- Brewers GM Doug Melvin explained to MLB.com's Adam McCalvy that developing pitchers takes years. The former Rangers GM pointed to C.J. Wilson and Colby Lewis, two strong starters who were drafted about ten years ago under Melvin.
- Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times takes an in-depth look at what GM Jack Zduriencik has done with the Mariners.
- The Astros signed nine draft picks, including fourth rounder Robert Doran, according to a team press release. Doran is a 6'6" college right-hander.
- Ben Goessling of MASN.com says Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham are players the Nationals could someday win with, not players they should look to move.
- As Pat Andriola of FanGraphs shows, the Marlins have made some fantastic low-key acquisitions in recent years.
- Josh Beckett told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he hasn’t thought about the way his recent back injury may have affected his free agent value had he not signed a four-year extension this spring.
- Former Orioles catcher Rick Dempsey would like to manage the team, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Dempsey, a MASN broadcaster who happens to be Gregg Zaun's uncle, has been a candidate to manage the O's three times before.
- Canadian catcher Kellin Deglan, who agreed to a deal with the Rangers, would have liked to play for the Blue Jays, according to Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun.
- Jake Peavy told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that the Padres' decision to fire former GM Kevin Towers was an "absolute joke."
- Mike Lowell told Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe that he has though about how he would fit in Anaheim. Lowell also realizes he could be in line for a minor league deal after this season and that possibility does not appeal to him.
Orioles Designate Alberto Castillo For Assignment
The Orioles designated Alberto Castillo for assignment to make room for Jake Arrieta, according to the team. Castillo, a 34-year-old left-hander has a 10.13 ERA in 14 games this year with 9.3 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9. The sample size is small, but that's more walks or strikeouts per nine than Castillo has ever posted in his three-year Baltimore career.
Indians Release Grudzielanek, Wright
The Indians released Mark Grudzielanek and Jamey Wright, according to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney (via Twitter). Both Grudzielanek and Wright were designated for assignment within the last week, when the Indians wanted to make room for Anderson Hernandez and Frank Herrmann.
Grudzielanek, 40 this month, signed a minor league deal over the winter. The second baseman was hitting .314/.368/.314 on May 16th, but has since slowed posted just a .456 OPS. At this point in his career, Grudzielanek has no power; none of his 30 hits this year have gone for extra bases.
Wright has a 5.48 ERA in 21.1 innings this year. The 35-year-old has allowed 25 hits and as many walks (nine) as strikeouts so far in 2010. Wright and Grudzielanek now appear on our list of 2010 free agents.
Braves Sign Matt Lipka
The Braves signed top pick Matt Lipka, according to MLB.com's Mark Bowman (via Twitter). Bowman notes that Atlanta also signed seventh rounder Matt Suschak (Twitter link). The Braves, who chose Lipka 35th overall, signed the supplementary rounder for a slot bonus of $800K, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Lipka, 18, is a high school shortstop from Texas and had committed to playing at the University of Alabama. He hit .400 in high school, went 10-3 with a 1.43 ERA as a pitcher and also starred on the football field. Braves scouting director Tony DeMacio told Bowman that the Braves like Lipka's speed.
"We needed some speed in the organization, plus he plays in the middle of the diamond," DeMacio said. "He's got a plus arm. He's a plus fielder. He's got makeup off the chart. He's just a winning type of player."
DeMacio says the Braves believe Lipka can play shortstop or center field.
Peavy Would Prefer Trade To Rebuilding Effort
Jake Peavy told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times that he would ask for a trade if the White Sox start a complete rebuilding process. That doesn't seem likely, and Peavy tells Cowley he feels good about his situation in Chicago, despite the team's 25-33 record. Before the White Sox became sellers, Peavy told MLB.com that he doesn't have interest in playing for a rebuilding team.
Peavy has a full no-trade clause and proved last summer that he isn't afraid to use it. Two months before the Padres traded Peavy to the White Sox, he vetoed a deal that would have sent him to Chicago. Ironically enough, the 34-24 Padres are now in contention, but they would presumably be looking for bats, not arms if they decide to deal.
Peavy, 29, has $42.6MM remaining on his deal, so few teams could afford him. His 5.90 ERA could turn clubs off, though Peavy's peripheral numbers suggest he has pitched better than his ERA would have you believe. The right-hander's salary and stats would make him hard to trade and the White Sox don't seem likely to start a complete rebuilding process, so it doesn't look like Peavy's going anywhere.
Cardinals Looking For Starting Pitching
The Cardinals have begun searching for starting pitching, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Kyle Lohse and Brad Penny are on the mend, so GM John Mozeliak is on the lookout. Since Lohse and Penny have uncertain timetables as they recover from injuries, manager Tony La Russa and pitching coach Dave Duncan asked Mozeliak to look for help outside the organization.
The Cardinals could use arms soon, so they're not likely to pursue pitchers like Pedro Martinez, Braden Looper and John Smoltz, who have been inactive so far in 2010. La Russa and Duncan appear willing to discuss a reunion with Jeff Suppan, who was recently released by the Brewers. The club also appears interested in Kevin Millwood, according to Strauss, though the team would not likely be able to take on the remainder of Millwood's $12MM salary.
Rangers Agree With First-Rounders Deglan, Skole
WEDNESDAY, 2:49pm: The Rangers agreed to terms with both Deglan and Skole, tweets Wilson. We learned earlier that Deglan's deal is worth $1MM, while MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo tweets that Skole agreed to a $1.557MM deal.
TUESDAY, 7:58am: ESPN's Richard Durrett confirmed the Rangers' agreement with Deglan last night. He also noted that the team's #15 pick, high school outfielder Jake Skole, is close to signing. Skole already told Georgia Tech he won't be attending, reports Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. It's a pair of affordable first-rounders for Texas, though it should be noted that they had to be safe with #15 because they would not get a pick next year if the player doesn't sign.
MONDAY, 9:01pm: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus hears that the Rangers have agreed to a $1MM deal with catcher Kellin Deglan (Twitter link). The Rangers selected the 18-year-old British Colombia native 22nd overall with their second pick of the first round.
List Of 2010 First Rounders To Sign
Between now and August 16th, most of the players below will reach agreements with their teams. Some, like Drew Storen in 2009, will sign almost immediately and begin their pro careers. Others, like Stephen Strasburg in 2009, will sign seconds before the deadline. Here's where we'll keep track of the bonuses that first rounders, supplemental rounders and other noteworthy picks obtain. From now on, you'll be able to find this post on the right side of the site, under MLBTR Features.
Updated 8-16-10
- Nationals – Bryce Harper – Signed for $9.9MM
- Pirates – Jameson Taillon - Signed for $6.5MM
- Orioles – Manny Machado - Signed for $5.25MM
- Royals – Christian Colon - Agreed to sign for $2.75MM
- Indians – Drew Pomeranz - Agreed to sign for $2.65MM
- Diamondbacks – Barret Loux - Did not sign
- Mets – Matt Harvey - Signed for $2.525MM
- Astros – Delino DeShields Jr. - Agreed to sign for $2.15MM
- Padres – Karsten Whitson - Did not sign
- Athletics – Michael Choice - Agreed to sign for $2MM
- Blue Jays – Deck McGuire - Signed for $2MM
- Reds – Yasmani Grandal - Will sign for about $3MM
- White Sox – Chris Sale – Agreed to sign for $1.656MM
- Brewers – Dylan Covey – Did not sign
- Rangers – Jake Skole - Agreed to sign for $1.557MM
- Cubs – Hayden Simpson - Signed $1.06MM
- Rays – Josh Sale - Signed for $1.62MM
- Angels – Kaleb Cowart - Signed for $2.3MM
- Astros – Michael Foltynewicz - Signed for $1.305MM
- Red Sox – Kolbrin Vitek - Agreed to sign for $1.359MM
- Twins – Alex Wimmers - Signed for $1.332MM
- Rangers – Kellin Deglan - Agreed to sign for $1MM
- Marlins – Christian Yelich - Signed for $1.7MM
- Giants – Gary Brown - Agreed to sign for about $1.3MM
- Cardinals – Zack Cox - Signed for $3.2MM
- Rockies – Kyle Parker - Signed for $1.4MM
- Phillies – Jesse Biddle - Agreed to sign for $1.16MM
- Dodgers – Zach Lee - Signed for $5.25MM
- Angels – Cam Bedrosian - Signed for $1.116MM
- Angels – Chevez Clarke - Signed for $1.089MM
- Rays – Justin O'Conner - Signed for $1.025MM
- Yankees – Cito Culver - Signed for $954K
Supplemental Round Selections:
- Astros – Michael Kvasnicka - Signed for $936K
- Blue Jays – Aaron Sanchez – Signed for $775K
- Braves – Matthew Lipka - Signed for $800K
- Red Sox – Bryce Brentz - Signed for $889K
- Angels – Taylor Lindsey - Agreed to sign for $873K
- Blue Jays – Noah Syndergaard - Signed for $600K
- Red Sox – Anthony Ranaudo - Signed for $2.55MM
- Angels – Ryan Bolden - Signed for $830K
- Blue Jays – Asher Wojciechowski – Signed for $815K
- Rays – Drew Vettleson - Signed for $845K
- Mariners – Taijuan Walker - Agreed to sign for $800K
- Tigers – Nick Castellanos - Signed for $3.45MM
- Rangers – Luke Jackson - Agreed to sign for $1.545MM
- Cardinals – Seth Blair - Signed for $751,500
- Rockies – Peter Tago - Signed for $983K
- Tigers – Chance Ruffin - Signed for $1.15MM
- Rangers – Mike Olt - Signed for $717K
- Cardinals – Tyrell Jenkins - Agreed to sign for $1.3MM
Odds & Ends: Brewers, Orioles, Werth, Weathers
Some links after an astounding debut from Stephen Strasburg…
- Brewers owner Mark Attanasio tells MLB.com's Adam McCalvy that the Brewers could hypothetically add payroll if the team starts contending soon.
- Jayson Werth had a team spokesman tell Todd Zolecki and Zach Schonbrun of MLB.com that his impending free agency isn't distracting him at the plate.
- Phillies manager Charlie Manuel thinks Werth is putting extra pressure on himself to play well in his contract year, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer (via Twitter).
- The Orioles will interview Bobby Valentine for their managerial opening, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Andy MacPhail called former Indians manager Eric Wedge to gauge his interest in the position.
- David Weathers told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he would be willing to come back and pitch for the Reds. The 40-year-old righty pitched 62.0 innings of 3.92 ERA ball for the Reds and Brewers last year.
- MLB has accepted the Mets' decision to place Oliver Perez on the DL, reports Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
