Supplemental Round Results
Here are the results from the 2010 supplemental draft, as MLB scouting directors re-evaluate their draft boards in preparation for tomorrow's selections:
33. Astros – Michael Kvasnicka
34. Blue Jays – Aaron Sanchez
35. Braves – Matthew Lipka
36. Red Sox – Bryce Brentz
37. Angels – Taylor Lindsey
38. Blue Jays – Noah Syndergaard
39. Red Sox - Anthony Ranaudo
40. Angels – Ryan Bolden
41. Blue Jays – Asher Wojciechowski
42. Rays – Drew Vettleson
43. Mariners – Taijuan Walker
44. Tigers – Nick Castellanos
45. Rangers – Luke Jackson
46. Cardinals – Seth Blair
47. Rockies – Peter Tago
48. Tigers – Chance Ruffin
49. Rangers – Mike Olt
50. Cardinals – Tyrell Jenkins
2010 MLB Draft Results
Ever since the A's called Rick Monday's name 45 years ago, teams have relied on the MLB draft to stock their systems with talented young players. Today, teams have the chance to draft the next Joe Mauer (1st overall, 2001), the next Carl Crawford (52nd overall, 1999) or the next Albert Pujols (13th round, 1999). Or, they could end up with the next Matt Bush (1st overall, 2004).
Here's this year's draft order, from River Ave. Blues, to be updated after each selection (links go to MLB.com):
- Nationals – Bryce Harper
- Pirates – Jameson Taillon
- Orioles – Manny Machado
- Royals – Christian Colon
- Indians – Drew Pomeranz
- Diamondbacks – Barret Loux
- Mets – Matt Harvey
- Astros – Delino DeShields Jr.
- Padres – Karsten Whitson
- Athletics – Michael Choice
- Blue Jays – Deck McGuire
- Reds – Yasmani Grandal
- White Sox – Chris Sale
- Brewers – Dylan Covey
- Rangers – Jake Skole
- Cubs – Hayden Simpson
- Rays – Josh Sale
- Angels – Kaleb Cowart
- Astros – Michael Foltynewicz
- Red Sox – Kolbrin Vitek
- Twins – Alex Wimmers
- Rangers – Kellin Deglan
- Marlins – Christian Yelich
- Giants – Gary Brown
- Cardinals – Zack Cox
- Rockies – Kyle Parker
- Phillies – Jesse Biddle
- Dodgers – Zach Lee
- Angels – Cam Bedrosian
- Angels – Chevez Clarke
- Rays – Justin O'Conner
- Yankees – Cito Culver
Click here for the results of Compensation Round A, picks #33-50.
Nationals Select Bryce Harper
It's a good week to be a Nationals fan. Just a day before Stephen Strasburg is expected to make his MLB debut, the Nationals selected their next top prospect with the first overall pick of the Rule 4 draft. As expected, GM Mike Rizzo and scouting director Kris Kline decided on Bryce Harper, a power-hitting teenager from Nevada.
Last year, the Nationals drafted Strasburg first overall and added Drew Storen later in the first round. Those two pitchers provide Harper with a tough act to follow, but the scouting reports suggest his play will justify the hype. The buzz started last year, when Harper appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a 16-year-old, and it hasn't stopped. But Harper played so well that draft experts and scouts continued raving about the Southern Nevada Junior College product.
Harper, a 17-year-old who plays catcher, outfield and third, won't be catching for long if adviser Scott Boras has his way. However, Kline told MASN.com's Ben Goessling that "there's a chance [Harper] stays behind the plate." In their official press release, the Nationals referred to Harper as an outfielder.
Despite questions about Harper's character, Kline says it's important to consider everything Harper has had to manage at such a young age.
"I think he's handled it tremendously," Kline said. "I think he's a good kid."
The Nationals have until August 16th to negotiate a deal with Harper and Boras. Since Harper's deal will presumably be worth close to $10MM and could exceed the record Mark Teixeira set for position players ($9.5MM), the Nationals may face pressure from MLB not to announce the terms of the agreement even if they reach one before August.
Harper's older brother Bryan is also draft-eligible this year, so a second Harper could be selected before long.
Pierzynski Open To A Trade
A.J. Pierzynski told Scott Merkin of MLB.com that he's open to a trade, though he'd prefer to see the White Sox start winning so he isn't tempted to go anywhere. The 33-year-old catcher, who will have no-trade rights after he sees his ten and five rights kick in June 14th, would consider leaving Chicago.
"Obviously, if the White Sox aren't where we want to be and a team has a chance for the playoffs and to win the World Series and they come and say, 'Hey, we need a catcher,' it would be hard to say no to that,"
Pierzynski said.
Pierzynski repeated his desire to stay in Chicago, where he has played since 2005, but pointed to Jim Thome, who played in the postseason with the Dodgers after leaving the White Sox in a summer 2009 trade. The chance to play playoff baseball would make it hard for Pierzynski to say no to a deal.
Ken Rosenthal reported this weekend that Pierzynski would probably approve a trade. The White Sox have since become sellers and could match up with clubs that need help behind the plate.
The Brewers lost Gregg Zaun, though they may be reluctant to take on the $4MM remaining on Pierzynski's $6.25MM salary in a season when they're well below .500. The Brewers will consider options, but GM Doug Melvin says a deal for Pierzynski is unlikely. The Rangers reportedly asked about Pierzynski last month and while they don't seem likely to add much salary, they could use catching help.
Tom Gorzelanny’s Trade Value
Jayson Stark, Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi have each suggested that clubs could attempt to acquire Tom Gorzelanny from the Cubs. GM Jim Hendry is not shopping the left-hander now, but the Cubs won't have room for Gorzelanny as a starter if Carlos Zambrano pitches well in his return to the rotation tonight.
As long as Zambrano, Ted Lilly, Randy Wells, Ryan Dempster and Carlos Silva remain healthy, the rotation is set without Gorzelanny. You could make the argument that he is one of the team's top five starters, but he's in the 'pen for now after allowing five earned runs in two of his last three starts.
If the Cubs consider trading Gorzelanny, who turns 28 next month, they should be able to obtain a significant piece or two for him. Despite the pair of rough starts that preceded his move to the bullpen, Gorzelanny has been an improved pitcher since arriving in Chicago last July.
Gorzelanny is striking out more batters (9.3 K/9 vs. 5.9 K/9 with Pittsburgh) and walking fewer batters (3.3 BB/9 vs. 4.1 BB/9 with Pittsburgh) since joining the Cubs. Those improved ratios, and Gorzelanny's 3.66 ERA would compare well with any available starting pitcher this side of Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt.
But there's an important difference between Gorzelanny and other trade candidates like Lee, Oswalt, Kevin Millwood and Jake Westbrook. Every one of those starters earns at least ten times as much as the $800K Gorzelanny makes in 2010. That could give the Cubs more potential trade partners, since not every team can afford the salary of a veteran starter. And not only is Gorzelanny cheap, he doesn't hit free agency until after 2013. Unlike most starters we'll hear about in trade rumors, he's controllable and affordable.
Even though there's been lots of talk about Gorzelanny, there hasn't been a concrete rumor indicating that he's available. That may mean the Cubs keep Gorzelanny, but Hendry should be able to obtain good prospects or major league pieces in a trade if the Cubs decide to move him.
Brandon Medders Clears Waivers
Brandon Medders cleared outright waivers and will head to Triple A Fresno, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle (via Twitter). The Giants had to make room on the 40-man roster for Pat Burrell, who will join the big league club. Medders posted a 7.20 ERA in 14 games this year, with 4.8 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9.
A year ago, Medders was a regular contributor out of Bruce Bochy's 'pen, appearing in 61 games and posting a 3.01 ERA. Only closer Brian Wilson appeared in more games than Medders, who finished the 2009 season with a 5-1 record.
Medders has never started a major league game, but he and his band once opened for country singer Billy Currington, according to the team's media guide. Not only that, Medders, who is an "accomplished singer and guitarist," opened the show right after pitching against the Braves.
Brewers Release Claudio Vargas
The Brewers released Claudio Vargas, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (via Twitter). The team designated Vargas for assignment last week and couldn't find clubs interested in trading for Vargas.
Vargas, who turns 32 in two weeks, has a 7.32 ERA in 17 appearances this year with 8.2 K/9 and 4.6 BB/9. The fastball-slider pitcher has allowed 28 hits, including three home runs in 19.2 innings.
Last summer, when the Brewers were looking for pitching, they acquired Vargas from the Dodgers. Now, they're still looking for pitching, but they'll rely on recent call-ups (Chris Capuano, Kameron Loe) and acquisitions (Brian Bruney) to contribute instead of Vargas.
Odds & Ends: Sizemore, Lewis, Red Sox, Haren
Some links for Friday before Roy Halladay tries to restore order for the slumping Phillies…
- Grady Sizemore will miss the rest of the season as he recovers from today's operation on his left knee, according to the team. He is expected to be ready for spring training next year.
- Rogers Sportsnet reported last weekend that the Blue Jays finalized their Fred Lewis acquisition for cash, according to John Lott of the National Post.
- Jon Heyman of SI.com says the Yankees will likely seek a bat with a high on base percentage and wonders if David DeJesus could fit (Twitter link).
- Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe speculates that Mike Lowell and Boof Bonser could be trade bait.
- Jon Heyman of SI.com says it's a "long shot" that the D'Backs deal Dan Haren.
- Cuban player Yadil Mujica could sign soon, according to Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald (Twitter link).
- Ebro reports (via Twitter) that the Phillies are eyeing Dominican pitcher Yunesky Maya.
- Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun presents 12 possible replacements for Dave Trembley, including Eric Wedge, Bobby Valentine and Bob Melvin.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says firing Dave Trembley won't be enough for the Orioles. He says the club needs to hire a "high-profile, kick-ass manager."
- David Ortiz told John Tomase of the Boston Herald that he "definitely" hopes to see Lowell traded, since it would be "a wonderful thing" for Lowell's sake.
- As Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports, the Red Sox have more high picks than usual this year, partly because Type A free agents Jason Bay and Billy Wagner signed elsewhere last winter.
- ESPN.com's Rob Neyer wouldn't give up more than one 'B' prospect to acquire Derrek Lee if he were running the Angels.
- Freddy Sanchez, who will play in Pittsburgh for the first time since the Pirates traded him last summer, tells Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he loved playing in Pittsburgh and can't wait to return.
Mets Designate Gary Matthews Jr. For Assignment
The Mets designated Gary Matthews Jr. for assignment, according to the team. They also called catcher Omir Santos and infielder Ruben Tejada up and placed Luis Castillo on the 15-day DL in related moves. Matthews earns $11MM this year and $12MM next year, but the Angels are still responsible for all but $500K of his 2010 salary and all but $1MM next season.
Matthews, who came to New York in exchange for Brian Stokes over the winter, was a disappointment for the Mets. He hit .190/.266/.241 in 65 plate appearances and though Matthews' defensive reputation was a factor in the $50MM free agent deal he signed, UZR suggests he hasn't been an above-average defender since 2005.
Carlos Beltran's injury gave Matthews the opportunity to win regular playing time, but Angel Pagan's excellent all-around play means the Mets didn't have to rely on Matthews.
Draft Notes: Harper, Taillon, Royals
Some more links in anticipation of Monday's draft…
- The Scott Boras camp envisions Bryce Harper as a five-tool corner outfielder not unlike Larry Walker, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. Harper's teammates told Crasnick that they enjoy playing with the presumptive first overall pick because he's a hard worker.
- EPSN.com's Keith Law has the Pirates selecting Jameson Taillon, not Manny Machado, in his latest mock draft.
- Law hears that the Royals would love to see Machado to fall to them.
- The Royals and Reds are leaning towards college players.
- The Blue Jays and A's are eyeing Michael Choice, Christian Colon and Justin O'Conner, according to Law.
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo told MLB.com's Bill Ladson that the draft is his "Super Bowl."
