Commissioner’s Office Says Rodriguez To Red Sox, Not Royals
3:04pm: WEEI’s Alex Speier writes, “According to a major-league source, the MLB Commissioner’s Office has ruled that the Red Sox still possess the rights to Reynaldo Rodriguez, a first baseman whom they acquired from the Yuma Scorpions of the independent Golden Baseball League earlier this month.”
According to Speier’s source, the Red Sox went through proper channels to acquire Rodriguez, and the player himself claims he hadn’t reached an agreement with Kansas City.
10:46am: The Royals have signed a prospect whose contract the Red Sox appeared to have purchased. Baseball America’s Matt Eddy reports that the Royals signed first baseman Reynaldo Rodriguez. The 22-year-old, who has been playing in Colombian leagues, projects as a corner outfielder, if you ask Baseball America’s J.J. Cooper.
Earlier in the month, Baseball America named Rodriguez the best independent league prospect around. The Royals also signed Adam Frost, a 22-year-old infielder who had been playing in Winnipeg. BA named Frost the second-best indy league prospect, highlighting his speed and gap power.
Top Royals prospect Aaron Crow is no stranger to independent ball (he pitched for the Fort Worth Cats this year) and, as ESPN.com’s Jason Grey notes, many believe Crow could climb quickly through the minors.
Bay Open-Minded As Free Agency Nears
Jason Bay is keeping his options open as he approaches free agency. In a chat with fans on WEEI.com, Bay said he is open-minded about where and when he signs.
"The window for my career doesn’t last forever," Bay said. "So limiting myself to one geographical spot really has no bearing on my decision."
The 31-year-old outfielder said he understands he may not sign a deal right away, though he would prefer to sign soon. Bay repeated that he enjoyed playing for the Red Sox under Terry Francona, so a return to Fenway seems like a real possibility.
Jon Heyman of SI.com wrote today that the Red Sox may be willing to offer Bay close to $15MM per year for four years. Heyman guesses that the Giants and Mets may bid even more.
Bay's agent, Joe Urbon, told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com earlier in the week that his client is the "most complete" free agent out there. Advanced defensive metrics suggest that's not the case, but Bay's .921 OPS makes him one of the offseason's most coveted free agents.
Odds & Ends: Bay, Damon, Josh Johnson
More links for Thursday…
- Jon Heyman of SI.com suggests (via Twitter) that the Red Sox might be willing to offer Jason Bay $60MM over four years. Heyman can see the Giants and, possibly, the Mets bidding more than that for the Canadian left fielder.
- ESPN.com's Keith Law can imagine some team signing Johnny Damon to a three-year deal this offseason, but cautions that it's riskly to sign a player in decline to a long-term pact.
- Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald had an interesting line at the end of his article yesterday - the Marlins are "preparing a multi-year offer for Josh Johnson." Earlier in the month, Ken Rosenthal said signing Johnson was the team's top offseason priority.
- MLB.com's Joe Frisaro presents some of the options the Marlins are considering for their coaching vacancies. The team may hire longtime big leaguer Jamie Quirk.
- Tyler Hissey of Around the Majors is unimpressed with this year's class of free agent first basemen. Adam LaRoche should be productive next year and the Mariners will likely want to bring Russell Branyan back if he's not too pricey, but there's no Mark Teixeira around this year.
- Hissey responds to the Josh Johnson chatter, arguing that he's an elite pitcher worth investing in. He suggests a four-year $48MM deal would be fair for both sides. What kind of contract would you offer Johnson?
Aroldis Chapman And The Red Sox
Aroldis Chapman's agent told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that his client was impressed with the Red Sox after visiting with the team yesterday. Edwin Mejia, who represents the 21-year-old lefty, said the visit with Red Sox executives and an unknown player was a "very good" one. But the Red Sox are far from the only team interested.
"I'd say ten teams have said they want to meet with us," Mejia told the Globe. "It's no secret who he is and what he can do."
Tim recently counted 12 teams with some interest, so Mejia may be getting more calls in the near future. ESPN.com's Peter Gammons believes the Red Sox may have an advantage over other bidders for Chapman; they signed shortstop Jose Iglesias, a former teammate of Chapman's, to an $8.5MM deal this summer.
Heyman On Manny, Felix, Bay, Washburn
The latest hot stove notes from SI's Jon Heyman…
- Manny Ramirez "is planning to exercise" his $20MM player option for 2010. This was expected but it'd still be interesting to see Manny jump back into free agency, maybe seek two years and $30MM.
- Heyman echoes what we've read regarding Brandon Webb – the D'Backs will pick up his $8.5MM option for next year, as Webb is not interested in renegotiating. On a related note, MLB.com's Steve Gilbert looks at some options for the two open spots in Arizona's rotation.
- The Red Sox "would still love to make a run at Felix Hernandez." Who wouldn't? I don't expect Felix trade talks to become reality unless the Mariners try and fail to sign him to an extension first. Heyman considers Roy Halladay more realistic for the Sox; Doc's price would presumably be slightly lower with the '09 season concluded. According to Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail, Halladay, his wife, and his agent had dinner with Jays president and CEO Paul Beeston last week to discuss the future.
- The Red Sox "were thought to have offered" $15MM to left fielder Jason Bay. How many years?
- Heyman says the Mariners and Brewers "are expected to be in the mix" for free agent lefty Jarrod Washburn. Scott Boras surely knows a move to the NL would help Washburn, who was born in LaCrosse, Wisconsin.
Aroldis Chapman Review
With all the information swirling around about free agent lefty Aroldis Chapman, I thought a summary would be helpful. Chapman has been declared a free agent and can sign at any time, though a deal is unlikely before the conclusion of the World Series. One GM told Yahoo's Tim Brown in July, "I'm sure all 30 teams will be interested to some degree." Nonetheless, let's look at specific suitors.
- Red Sox: They've been a top suitor from the start. Kiley McDaniel of Baseball Prospectus says Chapman was scheduled to throw a bullpen at Fenway today but it was cancelled due to inclement weather. ESPN's Peter Gammons believes Boston's signing of former Chapman teammate Jose Iglesias may impact the pitcher's decision.
- Yankees: They've also been a top suitor from the start. ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. said Chapman met with GM Brian Cashman and other Yanks officials at the October 25th playoff game and "had good conversations." Several reporters see Chapman as another Yankees-Red Sox battle.
- Mariners: Add them to the list – our source says they'd like to meet with Chapman in the next week.
- Cardinals: A scheduled October 26th meeting was cancelled due to the Tony La Russa announcement. The meeting is expected to be rescheduled.
- Orioles: They've maintained interest and are pushing for a meeting soon. In September, president Andy MacPhail admitted interest to MASN's Roch Kubatko, but added, "If some of the big boys are going to go after him, like the Red Sox did with Dice-K, that's not a risk that I would be willing to take."
- Mets: They met with Chapman on October 23rd. The New York Post's Bart Hubbuch said the Mets were out after being told Chapman wants up to $60MM to sign. I'm not so sure the Mets and Chapman actually discussed dollar figures.
- Tigers: They've confirmed interest.
- Angels: Scouting director Eddie Bane admitted interest in July, but noted that Chapman's breaking pitches are not yet effective in talking to Mark Saxon of the OC Register. Bane more recently told Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times that he'd need to see Chapman throw against live hitters before investing. Chapman has mentioned L.A. as a place he'd like to visit.
- White Sox: Our source said they've expressed interest.
- Cubs: Our source said they've expressed interest.
- Athletics: Named by Arangure Jr. as one of the teams "paying varying degrees of attention to Chapman." Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle confirmed Oakland's interest but says they haven't met with him.
- Giants: Named by Arangure Jr. as one of the teams "paying varying degrees of attention to Chapman."
- Dodgers: They aren't likely to be serious suitors, according to one of Arangure Jr.'s sources.
- Blue Jays: We named the Jays as an interested club, but GM Alex Anthopoulos told reporters that signing Chapman is "not realistic."
- Astros: Owner Drayton McLane seemingly considers Chapman too pricey, based on his comments to Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle.
Odds & Ends: Chapman, Padres, Orioles, Coste
Here's a few links to help you through another baseball-less night…
- Kiley McDaniel of Baseball Prospectus tweets that Aroldis Chapman will throw a bullpen at Fenway tomorrow.
- ESPN's Keith Law says that firing VP of scouting and player development Grady Fuson was a good move by new GM Jed Hoyer and the Padres. He notes that San Diego's drafts have been among the worst in the game over the last few years, although they did change course last year.
- Peter Schmuck of The Baltimore Sun says the Orioles need a power hitter at one of the corner infield spots, and mentions that players like Adrian Beltre, Troy Glaus, or Carlos Delgado could represent a decent stop gap.
- Chris Coste became a free agent after being outrighted by the Astros, says Brian McTaggart of MLB.com.
- Phil Wood of MASNsports.com has news on a few front office hirings by the Nationals.
- The Phillies added Brett Myers to their World Series roster according to David Murphy of The Philadephia Daily News. The 29-year-old righthander could earn himself a few extra bucks in free agency with a big series.
Jed Hoyer Notes
Jed Hoyer was introduced as the new GM of the Padres yesterday at a press conference. Notes from the day:
- Hoyer signed a four-year contract with a club option for 2014, according to Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Tim Sullivan of the U-T quotes Hoyer saying, "I want to build from within." He does not want to rely on trades and free agent signings. Talking to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Hoyer also expressed a desire to tailor the Padres to win at Petco.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America says the Padres' farm system "still lacks high-ceiling players" despite a solid 2009 draft.
- VP of scouting and player development Grady Fuson was fired, according to Center. CEO Jeff Moorad said he anticipates "more movement on the baseball side." Tom Krasovic heard that scouting director Bill Gayton will not return.
- Hoyer told Cafardo long-term contract discussions for Adrian Gonzalez are "definitely on the docket." The new Padres GM also gave Cafardo his thoughts on dealing with Theo Epstein in the future.
- The Red Sox will "spread out [Hoyer's] duties among top members of the front office," according to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. Also, Silverman feels that former Padres GM Kevin Towers could be open to a West Coast scouting job for the Red Sox but would be unlikely to move to the East Coast for a non-GM position.
Tigers Join Aroldis Chapman Chase
9:42pm: MLB.com's Jason Beck reports that the Tigers have confirmed interest in Chapman.
Tom Moore, Detroit's Director of International Scouting, said to Beck: "We're basically just at the interest level. Because of the nature, I think it's a situation where they're going to take the time to allow clubs to spend some time with the player and see who he is."
8:18pm: Add the Detroit Tigers to the list of teams in pursuit of Aroldis Chapman, according to a report by Melissa Segura in SI.com.
Segura writes that "several industry sources expect Chapman will command more than the $32 million the Yankees paid Cuban right-hander Jose Contreras in 2002."
Speaking of the Yankees, Chapman was a guest of the team for Game 6 of the ALCS, writes Jon Heyman.
And the Blue Jays new GM, Alex Anthopoulos, has concluded that it is "not realistic" to sign Chapman, according to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com.
"We don't have enough background and scouting looks to make a proper offer," Anthopoulos wrote in an e-mail. "Going forward, these will be the types of things we will be more proactive with. I think the way the Red Sox pursued [Daisuke Matsuzaka] is a great model. They were doing homework on him for years."
Heyman On Chapman, Mets, Hudson
The latest hot stove notes from SI's Jon Heyman…
- Despite interest from several other clubs, Heyman sees the Aroldis Chapman bidding as ultimately a Yankees-Red Sox battle.
- Heyman says the Mets "don't seem inclined" to pursue free agent starter John Lackey. Heyman believes Lackey will aim for $100MM+, which is higher than most estimates we've seen.
- The Mets have no interest in Milton Bradley, despite a September report. Heyman believes a left fielder will be the team's big-ticket import, with Matt Holliday atop their list.
- Like many, Heyman does not see Orlando Hudson returning to the Dodgers. Hudson earned about $8MM this year and will be a Type A free agent once again.
- Look for a Jed Hoyer announcement today from the Padres.
