Rockies Rumors: Marquis, Barmes, De La Rosa

More Rockies hot stove info…

  • Free agent starter Jason Marquis told MLB.com's Thomas Harding he'd love to return to the Rockies, but "the ball's in their court."  Last month, Marquis downplayed an assertion from his friend Jeff Francoeur that the pitcher would love to come to New York.  It was a different market, but Marquis' agent snagged his client a three-year, $21MM deal coming off a 6.02 ERA season back in December of '06.  2009 was a typical Marquis season aside from an increased groundball rate. 
  • We already knew the Rockies had designs on locking up closer Huston Street, who's under team control through 2010.  Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post says the Rox also intend to approach Clint Barmes and Jorge de la Rosa about extensions.  Barmes is under team control through 2011, de la Rosa through 2010.
  • Renck believes the Rockies will offer Street "a three-year deal in the neighborhood of $25MM, which might not be enough to sign him but is a good start."  Ah, overpaying for saves.

Rockies Rumors: Betancourt, Marquis, Hawpe

With the Rockies' 2009 season over, Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post is already discussing 2010.  Here's the latest:

  • Look for GM Dan O'Dowd to receive a new contract soon.  O'Dowd will then attempt to re-sign manager Jim Tracy.
  • Rafael Betancourt has a steep $5.4MM club option for 2010.  The reliever wants to return, and Renck finds it possible.  He says catcher Yorvit Torrealba, who has a $4MM mutual option, is less certain to remain with the team.
  • The Rockies are expected to let free agent starter Jason Marquis leave and replace him with Jeff Francis.  Presumably the Rockies will not offer arbitration to Marquis, a probable Type B free agentJason Giambi, Jose Contreras, and Joe Beimel are possibilities to re-sign.
  • Renck sees Garrett Atkins as a trade or non-tender candidate.  It wouldn't make much sense for a team to acquire Atkins prior to the non-tender deadline in mid-December.
  • Renck considers right fielder Brad Hawpe a trade candidate given the Rockies' outfield depth.  Hawpe will earn $7.5MM in 2010, but he can void his $10MM option for 2011 if traded.  During the last four seasons, Hawpe has posted OBPs of .381 or better and SLGs of .498 or better.  The knock is that he can't hit lefties, but he did a tolerable job against them in 2008-09.  The other knock against Hawpe is his subpar defense.  He still might fit with the Cubs or Mets, in my opinion.

Odds & Ends: White Sox, Mets, Millwood, Marquis

Another round of links…

  • According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, the entire White Sox coaching staff, including hitting coach Greg Walker, pitching coach Don Cooper, bench coach Joey Cora and first base coach Harold Baines, received contract extensions Wednesday afternoon that will keep them all with the club through 2011.
  • The Dallas Morning News' Tom Cowlishaw believes Kevin Millwood's $12 million option for 2010, which vested Monday, is a fine deal.  "If you're general manager Jon Daniels or team president Nolan Ryan or manager Ron Washington and you're going to be judged next season by how much your team lives up to this overhyped notion that 2010 is the Rangers' year," Cowlishaw writes, "you need Kevin Millwood on that wall."
  • According to MLB.com's Carrie Muskat (via Twitter), Cubs players didn't find out about Milton Bradley's apology until his statement was released to the media Wednesday afternoon.  That certainly won't help the level of perceived sincerity.
  • Chip Bailey of the Houston Chronicle takes an early look at the Astros' plans for the upcoming offseason.  We're not expecting big things.
    Troy Renck of the Denver Post gathered a reaction Wednesday from Jason Marquis on Jeff Francoeur's assumption that the free agent right-hander "would love to" pitch for the Mets in 2010.  “I hope there are a lot of teams that want a guy that can win 15 games and work 200 innings,” Marquis said.
  • As Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports, manager Jerry Manuel acknowledged Wednesday that the Mets need to add a reliable veteran catcher this offseason.  If not, they'll head into the 2010 season with Omir Santos and Josh Thole as their Opening Day backstops.

Mets Rumors: Sheffield, Marquis

The latest on the Mets' offseason plans from a pair of New York Post writers…

  • Gary Sheffield tells Kevin Kernan that he will play at least one more season. Sheffield would consider returning to the Mets, but he's not ruling out other clubs. Kernan lists the Astros, Rangers, Rays and Marlins as possible fits. 
  • I find it hard to imagine the Rays making a play for him. Still, Sheffield, who turns 41 in November, has managed an .822 OPS in 309 plate appearances, so he can still hit.
  • Jeff Francoeur tells Mike Puma that his friend Jason Marquis would "love to come" to New York and pitch for the Mets. Francoeur raves about Marquis, who will hit free agency after the season. 

Heyman’s Latest: Mets, D-Backs, Indians

Jon Heyman takes a look at three teams that underachieved this season and how each might approach the off-season…

New York Mets

  • Heyman thinks the payroll will be about the same next season, noting that any attempt to lower the payroll would be a tough sell to the fans.
  • Needs include left fielder, first baseman, catcher, starting pitcher and overall depth.
  • Mets are looking at Matt Holliday and Jason Bay and could target Adrian Gonzalez and Bengie Molina.
  • Starting pitchers the Mets may pursue include Randy Wolf, Jon Garland and Jason Marquis as well as Roy Halladay if he's available.
  • Mets may try to move Luis Castillo and replace him with Orlando Hudson.

Arizona Diamondbacks

  • Heyman hears the D-Backs will try to sign Brandon Webb to a new deal at slightly less than the $8.5MM option they have for next season.
  • The D-Backs may try to re-sign Doug Davis, but that will still leave a couple of holes in the rotation.
  • Arizona may try to fill the second base job via trade. Heyman suggests that Eric Byrnes and Chris Snyder could be trade bait and feels Byrnes could be moved for Castillo.

Cleveland Indians

  • Heyman says the Indians need to replace Carl Pavano's ability to eat innings. 
  • The Victor Martinez and Cliff Lee deals saved the Indians $21MM, some of which could be used in free agency.

Other notes…

  • It looks like Andy Pettitte will reach most of the incentives in his contract, nearly doubling his base salary of $5.5MM.
  • Dan Uggla feels he will be traded this off-season and Heyman says the Marlins won't want to pay his arbitration figure.

Stark On Free Agent Pitchers

"I don't think there's one pitcher in this entire group I'd invest a lot of money in. Not one," said one general manager to ESPN's Jayson Stark. This year's collection of free agent pitchers doesn't have the star power that last year's CC Sabathia highlighted crop had, or that next year's group led by Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee will have, but there will still be plenty of money thrown around.

As Stark explains, club officials seem to be down on available starters this year, describing them as "risky," "weak," "terrible," and "mediocre" among other things. One AL executive said that "There are some guys in this group who are dependable. Except they're dependable to give you 5.00 ERAs and 180 innings. And that's not what you want to build a staff around."

Regardless, Stark ranks the top ten starting pitching options in this year's free agent class. Here's a roundup of his list, with quotes from various sources…

  1. John Lackey: "He's the best name on the list," one exec said. "But if Anaheim shies away from this guy or doesn't make a serious attempt to sign him, I'd have concerns. They know him better than everyone else. So that would send out some serious red flags for me."
  2. Randy Wolf: He's "durable, dependable and left-handed," one GM said. And he's also "two 190-plus-inning seasons removed from any health issues."
  3. Joel Piniero: One GM said "I'd have interest in Pineiro, but I'd never invest multi-years in that guy. Just too inconsistent a track record."
  4. Jason Marquis: "He's having a great year," said an official of one team. "But I'm just not sure how to look at it. Was this a turning point in his career? Or do you look at it as somebody who turned it up and figured it out when he had the most to gain? I really don't know."
  5. Rich Harden: "I'd be scared to death to commit years to this guy," one AL exec said. "He's been used kind of like Pedro [Martinez] was used in the past, where they're always trying to build in an extra day's rest. And he's just a five-inning guy, in the National League. He might strike out 10, but he'll only go five innings, so he still kills your 'pen. He'll get some money. I just don't see anybody giving him more than a year."
  6. Andy Pettitte: One exec described his situation as "will probably either stay in New York or shut it down."
  7. Jarrod Washburn: One GM said, "he's 35 years old, and [before this year] his last winning season was [2004]."
  8. Jon Garland: "He doesn't have the stuff the other guys on this list have, but he's proven he's durable, and durability counts," said an official of one team. "It's like they say in golf: Most putts that you hit short don't go in. Well, most pitchers that don't make a start don't win. This guy at least makes his starts."
  9. Doug Davis: "Made for the NL West."
  10. Brad Penny: An executive said "He's the kind of guy who, if you give him a multiyear deal, he'll crush your franchise. Is somebody going to sign him for four years and expect 120 starts? Good luck."

Stark also names several players he calls "X-Factors," which are guys who could enter the market with major question marks. Included in this group are Brandon Webb, Erik Bedard, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson, Brett Myers, and Vicente Padilla. We could even add Chien-Ming Wang's name to that list.

Odds And Ends: Royals, Mets, Marquis

More links for the early afternoon…

  • ESPN.com's Keith Law argues there's no reason for the Royals to consider extending GM Dayton Moore now. It could impede them in the future, and they're in no apparent danger of losing him to a rival club.
  • Author Erin Arvedlund told Ben Klayman of Reuters that the Wilpon family will be forced to sell the Mets.
  • The Mets, however, say the author's claim is "false and irrespopnsible," according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.
  • EPSN.com's Rob Neyer says MLB should change its draft if it makes sense to do so, but not just to make people feel better.  
  • Jason Marquis' team has made the playoffs every year of his decade-long career, as Tim Kurkjian of ESPN.com notes. Marquis is in the midst of a career year and about to hit the free agent market this offseason.

Odds & Ends: Yankees, Marquis, Washburn

A fresh batch of links for your Saturday afternoon enjoyment…

  • Sweeny Murti of WFAN gathered a quote from Yankees GM Brian Cashman on the club's starting pitching depth:  "Right now I don't feel like we need a guy…because we're going internal and waiting to see how that works out."  In other words, they probably won't take part in the Roy Halladay or Cliff Lee sweepstakes.
  • Tracy Ringolsby, writing for FOXSports.com, notes how a change of scenery has benefited 30-year-old right-hander Jason Marquis, who was named to his first All-Star team earlier this month.
  • Mike Lipka of the Associated Press, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer, suggests Jarrod Washburn's chances of being moved hinge on the Mariners' play over the next few weeks.  If the M's begin to slip back in the AL West, the left-hander will almost definitely be wearing a different uniform in August.
  • Rickey Henderson, 50, acknowledged Friday that his playing days are over.  But, as the all-time stolen base leader told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick, he would love to pursue a career in coaching.
  • Crasnick appeared on Portland, Maine's CMSB this morning and touched on several of the topics we've been throwing around here the past few weeks.  He, like other experts have echoed recently, called the chances of a Halladay deal "50-50."

Odds And Ends: Bedard, Astros, Marquis

Links for Tuesday morning…

Sherman On Phillies, Rockies, Marlins

Joel Sherman of the New York Post explains how Jason Marquis and Ryan Spilborghs almost became Phillies and names a dangerous NL East team:

  • A few weeks ago the Phillies and Rockies seriously discussed a deal that would have sent Marquis and Spilborghs to the Phillies for J.A. Happ and prospects. 
  • The Phillies would have acquired an innings eater and a righty bat, while the Rockies would have shed payroll and acquired young talent.  
  • The Rockies began an extended hot streak after the trade talks began, so they decided not to make the deal.
  • Colorado is now quietly in search of a veteran reliever.  
  • Some believe the Marlins are a threat to win the NL East because of their talented young rotation.
  • Sherman reminds us that the Marlins have "one of the most aggressive, successful front offices in the majors."

Show all