Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes talked to the media Monday afternoon; the transcript can be found here along with comments from beat writer Nick Piecoro. Let’s discuss.
- The D’Backs want to improve the offense and have good positional flexibility. However, Piecoro thinks it’s possible the team relies on improvement from young players rather than acquisitions.
- The team will wait a few more weeks before really engaging with free agent Randy Johnson. You get the impression the D’Backs have their limit for him, maybe in the $10MM range.
- Byrnes intends to be more active in free agency than he has in the past.
- The D’Backs will continue to talk with Brandon Webb about a contract extension (they can control him through 2010 already). Byrnes said Webb may want to see what C.C. Sabathia gets.
- In another post, Piecoro talks about Eric Byrnes’ no-trade clause. Byrnes gives the impression he might waive it if he feels he’s not wanted. If Conor Jackson stays in left Byrnes could be the fourth outfielder heading into ’09.