5:29pm: A handful of teams have expressed interest in Doug Mientkiewicz, reports Jenifer Langosch. He expects to sign within a few weeks, and his agent will meet with the Pirates this week.
4:56pm: Kovacevic confirmed that the Pirates are in negotiations with Eckstein. The Orioles and Padres are also said to be in on him. As for Wilson: the Dodgers are said to be exasperated by the Pirates’ asking price.
- Kovacevic on Jack Wilson: the Tigers are out, the Dodgers are quiet lately, and the Twins are in. Biertempfel says the Orioles continue to watch from afar. Wilson’s contract is a sticking point for all suitors.
- Kovacevic believes the Pirates have at least not ruled out the idea of pursuing Pedro Martinez.
- Derrick Turnbow will throw for scouts in mid-January, so he probably won’t sign until then. The Pirates and Giants are among eight teams that have expressed interest.
- The Pirates seem likely to make a Rule 5 pick this year.
- With Pirates target Mark Loretta signing with the Dodgers, Biertempfel wonders if the Bucs may pursue David Eckstein or Craig Counsell.