Some links to read through this morning…
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post says the Red Sox will evaluate Mike Lowell's health tonight before deciding whether to pursue the likes of Garrett Atkins and Nick Johnson.
- Sherman wonders what will happen to Joe Girardi if the Yankees miss the playoffs for a second straight year.
- The Pirates have discussed the financial side of possible extensions for Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson, but only in general terms according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star says Julio Lugo would have been easier to acquire and probably more productive than current Royals shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt.
- New manager, same result. The Nats lost their first game under interim skipper Jim Riggleman.
- ESPN.com's Buster Olney says the MLB draft is broken and explains why he thinks teams should be allowed to trade picks.
- ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure Jr. says the Dodgers are one of the teams relying on psychological data to select and handle their players.