Tracy Ringolsby of Inside The Rockies examines Colorado's commitments for 2010, and the decisions they'll face regarding potential free agents and arbitration cases. Here are a few of his thoughts:
- Jason Marquis has said he wants to sign with the Mets and likely won't be back in Colorado.
- There's a good chance that lefty Alan Embree will retire.
- Jose Contreras is interested in returning in a middle relief capacity, but Matt Belisle is a younger option for the team in that role.
- The club would like to retain Rafael Betancourt, but his contract would have to be reworked. Betancourt has a $5.4MM club option for 2010.
- Behind the plate, Chris Iannetta will be back as the starter. Yorvit Torrealba could return as Ianetta's backup, but probably not for more than $1MM.
- The team may not have room for Jason Giambi, instead opting to use his roster spot on a right-handed hitter who can play both infield corners.
- Righty relievers Juan Rincon and Matt Herges could receive minor-league invites.