Links for Monday, as Angels number two prospect Tyler Chatwood prepares for his big league debut against the first place Indians…
- The Red Sox were non-negotiable on getting two club options on Clay Buchholz's contract, reports Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. Buchholz explained, "If it was me and I didn’t have a wife and a kid that I had to take care of, it might have been a decision that we would have thought about a little bit more."
- Teams are locking up their best players earlier and placing increased emphasis on club options, writes Dave Cameron of FanGraphs, and the result may be that "the best players in the game are going to be significantly underpaid during their primes," while the free agent market could become even more inflated.
- Reliever Duaner Sanchez signed with the Long Island Ducks, the team announced. Sanchez hasn't pitched in the Majors since May of '09, his career derailed by a July '06 taxi cab accident. His Ducks teammates include Ruddy Lugo, J.R. House, Lew Ford, and John Rodriguez.
- Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star writes about how Royals owner David Glass changed his tightfisted ways upon hiring Dayton Moore as GM about five years ago. Glass won't rule out keeping his talented wave of top prospects together on long-term deals "regardless of who their agent is."
- Baseball America links: Conor Glassey chatted with potential top draft pick Anthony Rendon, while J.J. Cooper lists the youngest players in every league.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has details on the iPads Carl Crawford's agent Brian Peters distributed as a promotional tool early in the outfielder's free agency. Though GM Theo Epstein said the iPad didn't change his evaluation of Crawford, he was compelled to return the favor with some Red Sox Beats By Dre headphones. First Dr. Dre mention in MLBTR history?
Dr. Dre is looking for a job as the Red Sox trainer?
and John Rodriguez … 300 hitter, 811 career OPS … I never understood why he couldn’t be a bat on somebody’s bench.
East Coast Bias
Oh snap! Clay Buchholz just got Vanilla Ice’d.
(I don’t think many of you are old enough for that reference, sadly.)
all right stop, Collaborat and Listen!
Clays back with a brand new invention!
Buchholz grabs ahold of it tightly
Flows like a CURVEBALL daily and nightly
Will it ever stop yo, I dont know
my wife has the lyrics that song memorized. it’s a good barometer to know when to cut her off the alcohol.
East Coast Bias
…but I was talking about the Suge Knight/Vanilla Ice “negotiations” in the late 80s.
i know but the rapper inside me had to come out!!!
Agh, Suge Knight, Mr. “All Show, No Go”! Got knocked out cold by dudes twice who were a quarter of his size!
Whoa whoa whoa…I did this same joke last month!
shoulda copyrighted! Now its all mine!
I think that the mandatory years of team control before free agency will have to be reduce from six to four and Super Two status would have to be transformed into “Super One”. That way baseball’s best players will be getting big payoffs earlier in their career and will hit free agency while still young, and older players will start receiving less money for their twilight years.
This will kill the small market teams …
Reliever Duaner Sanchez signed with the Long Island Ducks, the team announced….His Ducks teammates include Ruddy Lugo, J.R. House, Lew Ford, and John Rodriguez.
Ugh! Team sounds more like “foul” than fowl.
is that the Homer Simpson boo from Opie and Anthony?
Nope, just a general “I can’t believe you made that terrible joke booooo.” If anything, it’s more of a Statler and Waldorf.
I know this really has little to do with anything, but I have some Beats by Dr. Dre and they’re freakin’ awesome.
dre’s so awesome
have you seen him lately? He looks like he got in to Barry Bonds locker.
Those headphones are the most overrated piece of music technology in 2011.
Can’t argue with that Buccholz deal at all.