Earlier today, we checked in on some of the best minor league deals for pitchers. Here’s an update on which position players are playing well after signing minor league deals last offseason. Though there aren’t as many success stories here as there were on the mound, teams did add some valuable position players on minor league deals:
- Jack Hannahan, Indians – Hannahan has a .274/.351/.464 line as the Indians' everyday third baseman after spending 2010 in the minors.
- Andy LaRoche, Athletics – LaRoche has a .298/.353/.404 line for the A's and has already played every infield position for them.
- Casey Kotchman, Rays – Kotchman's .813 OPS is especially welcome, since Dan Johnson has disappointed at first base.
- Greg Dobbs, Marlins – Give the Marlins credit for getting the most out of Dobbs. The pinch hitter/third baseman has an .834 OPS in 62 plate appearances so far (note: Dobbs left today's game with a right ankle strain).
- Eric Chavez, Yankees – The six-time Gold Glove winner has a .290/.405/.355 line for the Yankees (note: Chavez has since fractured a bone in his left foot).
- Russell Branyan, D’Backs – The slugger has a .255/.340/.426 line in 53 plate appearances for Arizona, though he's sharing time with Juan Miranda and Xavier Nady.
- Adam Kennedy, Mariners – Kennedy has a .292/.329/.446 line as a first and second baseman for the Mariners. However, he is one of six MLB players to be arrested for DUI this year.