The Cubs and Red Sox could work out compensation for Theo Epstein today and announce the deal Friday, Peter Gammons of MLB Network said on WEEI’s Mut & Merloni show. Gammons also says the rebuilding process Epstein is about to undertake is “far greater” than the one he inherited in Boston nine years ago. Here are the latest rumors about Epstein with the most recent updates up top:
- The Cubs-Padres talks appear to be developing more smoothly than the Cubs-Red Sox talks, according to Morosi (on Twitter).
- There seems to be more optimism from the Red Sox today, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (Twitter link).
- Talks are going slowly and Boston’s asking price remains high, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.
- The discussions were progressing well as of this morning, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter link).
- We heard earlier today that the Padres could lose a high-ranking front office member when Epstein starts hiring in Chicago.