Three years ago today, Russell Martin and the Dodgers avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract worth $3.9MM, a record for a first time eligible catchers. Martin had hit .285/.373/.433 with 42 homers and 49 steals during the first three years of his career. Here's the latest from around the web…
- 1 Blue Jays Way spoke to top Jays prospect Travis d'Arnaud about his injury rehab.
- Royals Review interviewed Royals vice president Mike Swanson.
- Baseball Time In Arlington explained the genius of the Yu Darvish contract.
- More Mariners explains what Jesus Montero will do for the Mariners.
- Bunt Double is sad to see Montero go.
- North and South of Royal Brougham wonders if Hector Noesi can replace Michael Pineda.
- Know Hitter was surprised by the Montero-Pineda trade.
- Yankees Fans Unite says Pineda will allow the Yankees to spend on offense in the future.
- Red Sox Beacon took stock of the Red Sox following the Yankees' recent moves.
- Rant Sports Red Sox tried to determine fair compensation for Theo Epstein.
- Drunk Jays Fans wrote about the Blue Jays and where they the team is headed.
- The Blue Jay Hunter explored a 1993 trade that would have sent Randy Johnson to Toronto.
- Call to the Pen analyzed Pablo Sandoval's contract extension.
- Fish Stripes broke down what a potential Mike Stanton extension could look like.
- Brotherly Glove looked at the Phillies roster with Joel Pineiro and Kyle Kendrick.
- Amazin' Avenue wrote about David Wright's immediate future.
- Capitol Avenue Club thinks the Braves might be overpaying Eric O'Flaherty.
- District on Deck wrote about the Nationals search for a center fielder.
- Lookout Landing mused about the future of Franklin Gutierrez.
- BoSox Injection thinks the Red Sox should pursue Gavin Floyd.
- Redbird Rants wrote about the Yadier Molina dilemma.
- The Todd Van Poppel Rookie Card Retirement Plan thinks the A's are botching their rebuild.
- Pirates Prospects looked at Brandon Allen as a potential trade target.
- Monkey with a Halo wrote about Erick Aybar's future with the Angels.
- Wahoo's on First thinks the Indians overpaid Chris Perez.
- McCovey Chronicles called the Giants' outfield situation mediocre.
- Redleg Nation wishes the Reds would give Todd Frazier a chance.
- Seedlings To Stars put together a list of the Reds' top prospects.
- Camden Depot doesn't expect Yoshihiro Doi to help the Orioles much.
- MLB Draft Insider ranks the 25 best prospects in next year's draft.
- My MLB Draft put together a mock first round of next year's amateur draft.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.
I agree with TVP Rookie Card Retirement Plan, the signings/trades do make the A’s somewhat watchable, but why have watchable when you already don’t have many fans to start with and are in a full on rebuild mode?
These moves mean a backlog of outfielders, unless they cut 1 or 2 of their AAAA (cedric hunter, jason pridie, brandon moss), because those guys would take playing time away from Grant green, michael taylor (who needs some more time for his power to come back after the wrist injury), and jermaine mitchell in AAA
this also means players in AA are held back (matt sulentic who’s nothing more than a AA players anyway) and possibly jeremy barfield, who hasn’t put up spectacular numbers but (from what i’ve read) has decent tools and is a good defender.
going further down the backlong, that maybe means bobby crocker, dayton alexander, dusty robinson and xavier macklin aren’t quite challenged and start the season at a lower level than they rightfully should, and Royce Consigli might spend another year in Burlington
basically these outfield moves could hinder the promotion and development of some of their younger talent throughout the minors
That might be the best blog name of all time…
I must agree to that
Marlins should def lock up Stanton immediately for as long as they can get him Rockies style. Its like 98% certain to save them money down the road.
I also really like the mock draft mymlbdraft put up, mainly because it has my number one choice of who i realistically would like the a’s to get in the draft, although victor roache is a very close number two
“Fish Stripes broke down what a potential Mike Stanton extension could look like.”
Something like this: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
BBTiA is correct. How in the world did JD get Darvish to agree to such a cheap deal? It must be true that Darvish really wants to play in Arlington.