A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the last seven days:
- All-Star Giants second baseman Joe Panik joined host Jeff Todd on this week’s edition of the MLBTR podcast. Panik discussed his offseason rehab from a back injury, the development of his power at the plate, and how his background as a finance major impacts how he follows contractual matters in baseball. He also shared fond memories of his time with retired teammates Jeremy Affeldt and Tim Hudson as well as a story of an influential conversation with teammate Hunter Pence early in his career. A new episode of the podcast is released every Thursday and can be accessed on iTunes, SoundCloud, and Stitcher.
- We’re now more than halfway through the month of February and David Freese finds himself still on the open market. Recently, MLBTR’s Steve Adams surveyed the market for the third baseman to try and find a fit. Freese has been a league-average or better bat throughout his career according to both OPS+ and wRC+, and he’s coming off a pair of seasons in Anaheim where he batted a combined .258/.322/.401 (106 OPS+, 108 wRC+). At the same time, there are reasons not to be so gung-ho about the veteran and many of the clubs with clear third base issues have taken care of that position already.
- In Tuesday’s chat, Steve fielded questions on the White Sox, Juan Uribe, the Khris Davis trade, and how to make the ideal mac and cheese.
- In the latest edition of the MLBTR Mailbag, Steve answered questions on the Cardinals, Braves, and the Orioles’ farm system.
- If you’re not already, you should be following MLB Trade Rumors on Instagram.