Vizquel Willing To Play For Boston

Omar Vizquel expressed a willingness to play for the Red Sox, should the opportunity for a trade arise at some point this season, writes John Tomase of the Boston Herald.

"'It seems every time the Red Sox need a shortstop, my name gets brought up,' Vizquel said. 'Now, I don't think I'm in a good position to leave. We're winning here, we have a good thing going. I don't know if Texas would really let me go. We'll see. Maybe later in the season? Who knows. I don't want to close any doors.'"

In the piece, Tomasse says that Vizquel "wishes the Red Sox made a play for him when they had a chance." Vizquel said the Red Sox had not called. Tomasse says the Red Sox did inquire about Vizquel earlier this year, but that the Rangers are not interested in dealing the veteran shortstop.

Odds & Ends: Schuerholz, Fukumori, Perez

Some Saturday morning links to hold you over while the cartoons are on commercial break…

  • Braves' team president John Schuerholz issued a public apology for how Tom Glavine's release was handled, as MLB.com's Mark Bowman reports. "I'm not regretting the decision making. I'm regretting the manner in which it was portrayed and explained to Tommy. I feel like I could have done a better job with that."  
  • Patrick at NPB Tracker passes along a report that the Rangers are trying to transfer Kazuo Fukumori's rights to a Japanese club. Fukumori had a 20.25 ERA in four ineffective outings for Texas last year, but he hasn't pitched this year and is training in Arizona.
  • ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure Jr. reports that Cuban outfielder Felix Perez has been suspended one year for falsifying age documents. Perez, who claimed he was 20 years old, was close to signing a $3MM contract with the Yankees when it was discovered that he is actually 24 or 25.
  • UmpBump.com's Nick Kapur lists one player each NL team should cut from their roster. While just about everyone listed has been downright terrible this year, most of the players would have no trouble finding a new job if they were actually released.

Padilla Clears Waivers

Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Vicente Padilla has cleared waivers. This comes as a surprise to no one, as Padilla still has roughly $8MM remaining on his contract for this year alone. Wilson wonders if Padilla will pitch better now that he knows none of the 29 other teams want to pick him up if they have to pay his salary. He'll be a free agent if the Rangers buy out his option after the season, so Padilla can use the next four months to rebuild his value.

Odds And Ends: Nats, Astros, Putz, Brewers

More links for Friday afternoon…

Glavine: “A Couple” Teams Have Called

The AP (via CBS Sports) reports that Tom Glavine says he's received calls from "a couple" clubs that are interested in bringing him on as a pitcher, while others have called him to discuss different jobs. Glavine didn't name the clubs that called and said it would take "a lot" for him to come back and pitch.

Earlier in the day Peter Gammons said Glavine wants to return and mentioned the Rangers and Dodgers as possibilities. Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says Glavine "likely won't be pursued by the Rangers," but says they haven't ruled it out. Could the Brewers be interested, too? Just yesterday Buster Olney wondered if Glavine might work for the Marlins.

Gammons On Glavine, Pirates, Mets

Speaking on ESPN Radio, Peter Gammons said Tom Glavine wants to pitch again. Here are the details, as well as a transcription on Joe Haggerty's blog, Hacks with Haggs:

  • Texas could be a fit for Glavine and though the Dodgers don't appear to be interested, Gammons suggests they could reconsider. 
  • Gammons says the Pirates are trying to build long term and believes it's the only way for them to end their streak of losing seasons.
  • The Mets don't appear likely to trade for an expensive shortstop, but they may have to deal for some offensive help if they want to keep up with the Phillies.  

Odds And Ends: Atkins, Ortiz, Bedard

Some links for your Friday morning…

Rosenthal On Guthrie, Rangers, Glaus

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Orioles would consider dealing Jeremy Guthrie under the right circumstances. Here are the details, along with highlights from the rest of his column:

  • Teams have inquired to see if Guthrie, who makes just $650K this year, is available. The Orioles would only move him if they hear "an overwhelming offer."
  • The O's are reluctant to move George Sherrill, who's pitching well and remains under team control through 2011.  
  • Danys Baez is more likely to be dealt.  
  • The Rangers could lose Josh Hamilton for an extended period, but that won't stop them from dealing a bat for a reliever. Rosenthal writes that the Rangers could replace a player like Marlon Byrd or Hank Blalock internally.  
  • The Rangers will consider pursuing a top starting pitcher.  
  • The Mariners aren't about to deal anybody away for now. "I think right now we are still in it," GM Jack Zduriencik said. The Mariners are 5.5 games out in the AL West.  
  • If Troy Glaus proves he can hit, but has trouble playing third upon his return, the Cardinals could deal him to a team in need of a first baseman or DH.

Draft Updates: Reds, Astros, Rangers

Some preferences, tendencies and opinions from around the majors as Tuesday's draft draws closer:

  • John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds like Aaron Crow, but don't expect him to be available when they select eighth. Fay says "there's a good chance they'll take him" if he's available.
  • Keith Law and Jason A. Churchill of ESPN.com break down the drafting tendencies of each MLB team. For example, the Braves like local high school players and the Mariners lean towards college talent.
  • MLB.com's Brian McTaggart says the Astros could go after pitching with the 21st pick, or maybe high schooler Everett Williams. One thing's for sure: the Astros aren't looking for a catcher after selecting Jason Castro last year.
  • The Rangers have one of the strongest systems in the game in part because they've drafted well. Jamey Newberg looks at 20 top Rangers prospects in a report for MLB.com.
  • ESPN.com's Jayson Stark argues "the most dysfunctional draft in professional sports" needs to put a cap on player bonuses.
  • Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that Clay Daniel, the scout who oversaw the signing of players such as Ervin Santana, was fired. He was apparently dismissed because of the "improper activities" of some of the scouts he hired.

Olney On Glavine, Dunn, Penny

ESPN.com's Buster Olney wonders where Tom Glavine will land and comes up with a couple options. The Rangers, who are looking to shed Vicente Padilla, "will probably talk about Glavine." Olney says the pitcher could also "fit cheaply" with the Marlins and former Braves coach, Fredi Gonzalez. Here are the rest of Olney's rumors:

  • Adam Dunn fits Boston's needs, but the Nationals would want a "big-time pitching prospect" in exchange for the slugger. The two teams match up well, but Olney warns this doesn't mean we'll see a deal.
  • The Phillies heard that the Red Sox would want infielder Jason Donald in exchange for Brad Penny 
  • The Reds are looking for a third baseman. 
  • Olney hears buzz that the Mariners may pass on Dustin Ackley, who's considered the best college hitter in the draft. If that's the case, the Padres would consider him and Donovan Tate with their 3rd pick.
  • The Brewers are "actively looking" to improve their team. 
Show all