Odds & Ends: Drew, Blue Jays, Mariners, Reyes

Links for Monday, 14 years after the Mariners sent David Ortiz to the Twins to complete the Dave Hollins trade. Precisely 346 home runs later, Big Papi is one of the most recognizable players in the game…

  • The Red Sox will probably not have the chance to void J.D. Drew’s deal, as Alex Speier of WEEI.com explains. The Red Sox could be able to sidestep the 2011 portion of the contract depending on injuries, but Drew seems healthy.
  • The D'Backs will interview Angels scouting director Eddie Bane for their GM opening, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).
  • The Blue Jays named Jay Sartori assistant GM. The 31-year-old was previously the director of baseball operations for the Nationals and worked in MLB’s labor relations department, advising teams on salary arbitration, among other things.
  • The Mariners fired pro scouting director Carmen Fusco, according to KING 5 Sports. Ed Price of AOL FanHouse confirms the report (on Twitter) and suggests it's a warning shot to GM Jack Zduriencik. The Mariners front office is under scrutiny after trading for Josh Lueke
  • Pirates GM Neal Huntington told Chuck Finder of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that his team “can't throw $55MM at somebody just because it makes [everyone] feel better.” Instead, the team has to be sure the players they pursue fit the team’s needs.
  • Jose Reyes told Newsday's Ken Davidoff that he wants to stay in New York. The Mets can retain their shortstop for $11MM next year or buy him out for $500K.

Odds & Ends: Red Sox, Pirates, Cubs

Links for Sunday night as the Braves get ready to host the Cardinals..

Cafardo’s Latest: Konerko, V-Mart, Wakefield, Downs

In his latest column for the Boston Globe, Nick Cafardo looks at the career earnings for some of the biggest names in baseball, with an eye toward the offseason. Cafardo wonders if players in good situations like Adrian Beltre and Paul Konerko would give their respective clubs a slight discount, or if they'll pursue the most money possible on the open market. Here are some other highlights from Cafardo's piece:

  • Konerko negotiated his last contract primarily with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, and Cafardo wouldn't be surprised to see Reinsdorf step in again to keep Konerko in Chicago.
  • Although they don't love his defense behind the plate, the Marlins are a team that will be interested in signing Victor Martinez this winter.
  • A National League scout could see Tim Wakefield succeeding on the mound in the NL for another couple years, but questions whether Wakefield would be able to hit and run the bases, as the Senior Circuit requires. Cafardo indicates that the 44-year-old is frustrated with his role in Boston.
  • Cafardo predicts that the Red Sox will sign Scott Downs this winter.
  • As of Friday, Kevin Towers had only had one conversation with D'Backs president Derrick Hall about the team's GM opening, according to a source. It was on Friday that we heard Towers was the frontrunner for the Arizona job.

Odds & Ends: Backe, Ellis, Crisp, Macha, Holliday

Some links to check out as the Rockies try to win their ninth straight…

Mike Lowell To Retire After The Season

We've heard conflicting reports about the future of Red Sox first/third baseman Mike Lowell all season long, but the former Marlin put it all to rest today when he announced that he will indeed retire after the season. John Tomase of The Boston Herald provides the following…

“I’m retiring,” Lowell said. “I just don’t want to make it a song and dance because I don’t think that’s necessary, but if someone needs something official, yeah, I’m going to retire. This is going to be my last year.”

Lowell, 36, said that he still believes he can still play and platoon somewhere, but he doesn't enjoy it and is not willing to make the transition. He also indicated that staying around to compile numbers was never in his plans. 

Plagued by hip issues over the last several years, Lowell has hit just .231/.297/.357 in 202 plate appearances this year, and lately he's lost playing time to younger players. A career .279/.341/.464 hitter, Lowell will retire as the Marlins' all-time leader in doubles (241), RBI (578), total bases (1,641), and extra base hits (387). According to Baseball-Reference.com, he's earned more than $76MM in his career. 

Gammons On Martinez, Red Sox Bullpen, Crawford

Peter Gammons of the MLB Network and NESN made his weekly appearance on WEEI's The Big Show earlier today, and DJ Bean has the transcript. Let's round up the good stuff…

  • Gammons thinks the Victor Martinez situation could get dragged out all winter because the Red Sox do not want to sign him for four years as a catcher. That's the logic behind their two-year offer, they view him as a first baseman/designated hitter after the first two seasons and don't want to pay a premium for a guy playing a non-premium position.
  • The Manny Delcarmen trade was the first step in recreating the bullpen. Gammons notes that Boston once landed Bronson Arroyo "for a dollar," and the club could try a similar approach with the pen this offseason. Basically, they'll just bring guys in and see what sticks rather than sign one player to a big contract. Matt Fox may have been claimed with that very idea in mind. 
  • Gammons doesn't believe the Red Sox can afford to sign Carl Crawford, who he thinks will get seven years and $140MM. There is also some concern about the lineup being too lefty-heavy in a division with several top-of-the-line lefthanded pitchers.

Red Sox Claim Matt Fox

The Red Sox claimed Matt Fox off of waivers from the Twins, according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune (via Twitter). The Twins designated the right-hander for assignment Sunday to create roster space for Ben Revere.

Fox, who turns 28 this December, pitched well in his MLB debut Friday, limiting the Rangers to four hits and a walk in 5.2 innings of work. He pitched 123 innings as a swingman in Triple A with a 3.95 ERA, 7.6 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9. Fox has a 3.71 ERA in his six-year minor league career with 7.8 K/9, so he's a nice depth addition for Boston.

Martinez Turned Down Red Sox’ Offer, Postpones Extension Talks

Victor Martinez rejected the two-year extension offer he received from the Red Sox, writes Daniel Barbarisi of the Providence Journal. Martinez's agent, Alan Nero, tells Barbarisi that the team's proposal, which was made several weeks ago, was a one-time offer and that there will be no more negotiations until after the season.

As Martinez suggested when he discussed Boston's extension offer, the 31-year-old is looking for a long-term guarantee rather than just one or two years:

"More than anything else, when a team comes to you and says we'll give you a one year deal or a two year deal, they're not telling you that they see you as a long-term piece of their organization," said Nero. "Every player seeks that. Victor, at this point, is looking to be with a team for the rest of his career. It's not a matter of security, it's a matter of trying to get comfortable in one place."

The two sides had initially agreed to wait until after the season to discuss V-Mart's future in Boston, but the team approached the catcher with the two-year offer a few weeks ago. Although the contract was not what Martinez was looking for, Nero says there are "no hard feelings" regarding the proposal and that he expects the Red Sox to have "every chance" to sign his client this winter.

Odds & Ends: Cubs, Varitek, Wakefield, Hoffman

Links for Wednesday, 50 years after the Milwaukee Braves signed Joe Torre as an amateur free agent…

  • The Cubs intend to interview Ryne Sandberg and others for their managerial opening within ten days, according to Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.
  • Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says baseball's revenue sharing system is not broken, but he would like to see MLB adopt a "laser-like focus" on developing a fairer system.
  • Jason Varitek told reporters, including Alex Speier of WEEI that he intends to keep playing after next season.
  • Tim Wakefield's base salary for 2011 rises from $1.5MM to $2MM if he finishes 3.1 innings tonight, as Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald points out on Twitter.
  • Trevor Hoffman told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he'll wait until after the season to decide whether to retire (Twitter link).
  • Hisanori Takahashi told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that he likes New York and wants to continue playing major league baseball. He just doesn't know if he’ll re-sign with the Mets this winter.

Heyman On Jeter, Ortiz, Minaya

It’s a foregone conclusion that the Yankees will re-sign Derek Jeter, but as Jon Heyman of SI.com points out, “the Yankees' business is so good it doesn't have to look at things the normal way.” That means the Bronx Bombers can afford to pay franchise icons like Jeter for past greatness, even if the offensive numbers aren't there anymore. Here’s the latest on Jeter, plus other notes from around the league:

  • One executive told Heyman that he can see the Yankees offering $45-50MM over three years. That fits in with what MLBTR readers predicted earlier in the week. As Dave Cameron of FanGraphs noted, Chipper Jones’ most recent deal was for $42MM over three years.
  • Some executives can see the Red Sox trying to lock David Ortiz up for $18-20MM or so over two years instead of exercising his $12.5MM option for 2011. Ortiz has said he’d like to stay in Boston, but he wants a multi-year deal.
  • Heyman says it’s still “extremely likely” that the Mets re-assign Omar Minaya. In other words, he may not be the GM for much longer.

 

Show all