Let’s discuss Ken Rosenthal’s lastest column.
- There’s some chatter that the ’09 draft class will be weak. This could motivate teams to trade their impending free agent stars this July rather than collect compensation picks.
- Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson has "fallen out of favor with some in the organization." Rosenthal believes he’d be a hot commodity if fired.
- The Rangers are open to trading Vicente Padilla, as you’d expect. We’ve heard some crazy things about the asking price.
- While the Royals don’t seem to consider Zack Greinke untouchable, they’d have to be bowled over to trade him.
- The Yanks probably don’t have room for Ben Broussard, and the Orioles could swoop in and sign him if he’s granted free agency this month.
- Look for Scott Hatteberg to become a free agent today; interest appears to be tepid.
- The Florida teams are willing to spend money for midseason upgrades. They’re understandably reluctant to trade prospects.
- Doesn’t seem like Orlando Cabrera will be signing long-term with the White Sox.