Random thoughts in the aftermath of the Torii Hunter shocker…
- We can’t really say whether the Hunter signing was about money or winning, because a winning team made an offer far beyond any other club. It is inconclusive.
- U.S.S. Mariner notes that Hunter received the same contract Ichiro did, but he’s not the same caliber of player.
- David Pinto sees a very old Angels outfield in the future.
- The Rangers were at five years, $75MM with a club option for 2013. Both Texas and the White Sox may now turn their attention to Aaron Rowand. Suddenly his perception that he’s a $14MM player seems more realistic.
- The Twins must be pleasantly surprised – they get the Angels’ 27th overall pick next June. All the other teams thought to be in the mix for Hunter had their first round picks protected. The loss of the pick just accentuates how much the Halos overpaid here.