On this date 11 years ago, the Marlins traded Gary Sheffield, Bobby Bonilla, Charles Johnson and two others to the Dodgers for Mike Piazza and Todd Zeile. Piazza's tenure with the Marlins would last five games in which he was 5-18 with a triple and 5 RBI. Seven days later he was traded to the Mets for Preston Wilson and two minor league pitchers that would combine for 5 career appearances. To this day, Mike Francessa of WFAN in New York City will tell anybody that listens that he was responsible for convincing the Mets to make the deal. So far this season we have seen a couple of minor deals. Let's take a look at what is being written in the Blogosphere…
- Feeling Dodger Blue feels now is a good time to trade James Loney and wonders if Jorge Cantu can be had.
- Fire Brand of the American League addresses the possibility of the Red Sox trading Brad Penny and looks at some players the Red Sox might pursue.
- 6 Pound 8 Ounce Baby Joba takes an early look at the teams that might be buyers and sellers at the deadline.
- Around the Majors takes a look at the 2010 free agents that are represented by Scott Boras.
- Jorge Says No! discusses whether Koji Uehara was the best free agent signing this year.
- The Bottom Line wonders if the Red Sox missed an opportunity to sign Jason Bay to an extension.
- El Lefty Malo takes a look at several players the Giants let go and whether the moves were smart in hindsight.
- Goat Riders of the Apocalypse proposes some names that can be brought in to fix the Cubs bullpen.