Some links for the morning…
- ESPN.com's Peter Gammons says the Adam LaRoche acquisition won't prevent the Red Sox from pursuing an impact bat like Victor Martinez.
- MLB.com's Jason Beck predicts that the Tigers will trade close to next Friday's deadline if they decide to deal.
- Manager Jim Leyland spends so little time thinking about trades that he doesn't even know who's available, according to Chris Iott of MLive.com. Someone needs to tell him about MLBTR.
- ESPN.com's Rob Neyer says the notion that the Mets are contenders "borders on delusional."
- Royals GM Dayton Moore tells Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he will "be very aggressive and put the throttle down" if he sees an opportunity to improve his club.
- Justin Smoak, Martin Perez and Neftali Feliz lead Jamey Newberg's list of top Rangers prospects this week at MLB.com.
- As anticipated, the Seibu Lions acquired minor league reliever Jonah Bayliss from the Blue Jays, according to the Kyodo News.
- More than half of St. Louis Post-Dispatch readers believe the Julio Lugo-Chris Duncan swap was necessary.