On this date 14 years ago, the Mets sent pitching prospect A.J. Burnett to the defending World Series champion Marlins for Al Leiter. New York's other team was also busy that day — the Yankees acquired Chuck Knoblauch from the Twins. So far today we've seen one major trade take place and here are some assorted links to read as we await the next significant move…
- The Pirates made Edwin Jackson a substantial three-year offer, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (Twitter links). Pittsburgh offered a three-year deal in the range of $10MM per season, but Jackson signed with the Nationals for $11MM. The Pirates also made a one-year offer worth less than $11MM, Rosenthal reports.
- Ryan Madson, Hiroki Kuroda and Reed Johnson are among the best under-the-radar signings of the winter, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney writes.
- Speaking of under-the-radar moves, Matt Eddy of Baseball America has the minor league transactions for January 26th-February 1st.
- Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander said yesterday morning on WXYZ-TV that he wants to stay in Detroit forever, Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reports. "I think that it's a very unique city, the people here are fantastic, it's unbelievable,” Verlander said.
- Dave Cameron of U.S.S. Mariner says newly signed Mariners right-hander Shawn Camp could be pretty decent if the Mariners use him mostly against right-handed hitters.