Here’s what happened in the NL Central in the week leading to the trade deadline this afternoon.
- As expected, the last-place Brewers were very active as sellers. They sent star center fielder Carlos Gomez, starting pitcher Mike Fiers and international bonus spending rights to Houston for outfielders Domingo Santana and Brett Phillips, along with pitchers Adrian Houser and Josh Hader. They also shipped outfielder Gerardo Parra to the Orioles for pitching prospect Zach Davies, and they sent reliever Jonathan Broxton and cash to the Cardinals for outfielder Malik Collymore. Last week, they dealt veteran third baseman Aramis Ramirez and cash to the Pirates for pitcher Yhonathan Barrios. They also claimed reliever Preston Guilmet from the Dodgers.
- The Reds also sold, trading starting pitchers in two high-profile deals. They sent Johnny Cueto to the Royals, getting lefties Brandon Finnegan, Jake Lamb and Cody Reed in return. They also shipped Mike Leake to the Giants for pitcher Keury Mella and infielder Adam Duvall. Finally, they outrighted Chris Dominguez.
- The first-place Cardinals addressed their bullpen by getting Broxton in the aforementioned trade with Milwaukee, and by acquiring Steve Cishek from the Marlins for pitcher Kyle Barraclough. They also acquired 1B/OF Brandon Moss from the Indians for pitching prospect Rob Kaminsky, and they designated first baseman Dan Johnson and pitcher Marcus Hatley for assignment.
- The Pirates received Ramirez in the aforementioned trade with the Brewers to shore up an injury-ravaged infield. They acquired lefty starter J.A. Happ from the Mariners for pitcher Adrian Sampson, and reliever Joakim Soria from the Tigers for infielder JaCoby Jones. They also got first baseman Michael Morse from the Dodgers for outfielder Jose Tabata, and veteran pitcher Joe Blanton from the Royals for cash. Finally, they designated relievers Deolis Guerra and Vance Worley for assignment; outrighted infielders Brent Morel, Steve Lombardozzi and Justin Sellers; and traded minor league pitcher Jayson Aquino to the Indians for cash considerations.
- The Cubs acquired veteran starter Dan Haren from the Marlins for shortstop Elliot Soto and righty Ivan Pineyro. They also sent outfielder Junior Lake to the Orioles for reliever Tommy Hunter. In more minor moves, they designated pitcher Ben Rowen and outfielder Mike Baxter for assignment, and they released Edwin Jackson.