Here’s what teams from the NL East did in the days leading to this afternoon’s trade deadline.
- The Phillies were, unsurprisingly, at the center of the action, shipping ace Cole Hamels to Texas (along with reliever Jake Diekman and cash) in exchange for Matt Harrison, top catching prospect Jorge Alfaro, pitching prospects Jake Thompson, Alec Asher and Jerad Eickhoff, and outfield prospect Nick Williams. In another significant move, they sent closer Jonathan Papelbon and cash to Washington in exchange for pitching prospect Nick Pivetta. They also sent outfielder Ben Revere and cash to the Blue Jays for pitchers Jimmy Cordero and Alberto Tirado.
- The Nationals were, of course, the team on the other end of the Papelbon deal, for which they agreed to exercise Papelbon’s 2016 option after it was reduced from $13MM to $11MM, some of that deferred. They also outrighted catcher Dan Butler.
- Despite not completing a reported deal for Carlos Gomez, the Mets made plenty of noise at the deadline, acquiring Yoenis Cespedes from the Tigers for pitching prospects Michael Fulmer and Luis Cessa. They also acquired reliever Tyler Clippard and cash from the Athletics for pitcher Casey Meisner. Last week, they acquired infielders Juan Uribe and Kelly Johnson, plus cash, from the Braves for pitchers John Gant and Rob Whalen, and they promoted top prospect Michael Conforto.
- The Braves were on the other end of the Uribe/Johnson deal. They also were part of a massive 13-player trade with the Dodgers and Marlins in which they acquired infielder Hector Olivera, lefty Paco Rodriguez and pitching prospect Zachary Bird for top infield prospect Jose Peraza, along with pitchers Alex Wood, Jim Johnson, Luis Avilan and Bronson Arroyo. The Braves also designated reliever David Carpenter for assignment.
- In that aforementioned 13-player trade, the Marlins sent Mat Latos and Michael Morse to the Dodgers in return for pitchers Kevin Guzman, Jeff Brigham and Victor Araujo. They also shipped Dan Haren and cash to the Cubs for shortstop Elliot Soto and righty Ivan Pineyro, and they traded reliever Sam Dyson to the Rangers for catcher Tomas Telis and lefty Cody Ege. Last week, they dealt reliever Steve Cishek to the minors for pitcher Kyle Barraclough. Finally, they released infielder Jeff Baker.