Entering the 2016-17 offseason, the Rockies were viewed by many as an organization that could position itself for contention with the right moves. While the club’s biggest splash (the signing of Ian Desmond) hasn’t really panned out thus far, the addition of closer Greg Holland surely did, helping lead the club to an 87-win regular season.
Of course, the bulk of the talent on hand in Colorado wasn’t just added last winter. The team’s two best players — Charlie Blackmon and Nolan Arenado — are homegrown stars. Most of the other regulars have been around for some time and the rotation has largely come through the farm system. More recently, the Rox took advantage of the summer trade market to add two important pieces in catcher Jonathan Lucroy and reliever Pat Neshek. Here’s how the Rockies’ Wild Card roster was compiled by the front office, which is currently led by GM Jeff Bridich …
- HOMEGROWN (11)
- Charlie Blackmon, CF: Drafted 2nd Rd ’08
- Nolan Arenado, 3B: Drafted 2nd Rd ’09
- Raimel Tapia, OF: International Free Agent (D.R.) November ’10
- Tyler Anderson, SP: Drafted 1st Rd (20) ’11
- Trevor Story, SS: Drafted 1st Rd (45) ’11
- Antonio Senzatela, SP/RP: International Free Agent (Venezuela) July ’11
- Carlos Estevez, RP: International Free Agent (D.R.) May ’11
- Scott Oberg, RP: Drafted 15th Rd ’12
- Jon Gray, SP: Drafted 1st Rd (3) ’13
- Pat Valaika, INF/OF: Drafted 9th Rd ’13
- Mike Tauchman, OF: Drafted 10th Rd ’13
- ACQUIRED VIA FREE AGENCY (7)
- Mark Reynolds, 1B: December ’15 (STL) — Signed to a one-year, $2.6MM contract. Re-signed to MiLB contract in February ’17.
- Gerardo Parra, OF: January ’16 (BAL) — Signed to a three-year, $27.5MM contract (includes $12MM club option in 2019).
- Ian Desmond, INF/OF: December ’16 (TEX) — Signed to a five-year, $70MM contract (includes $15MM club option in 2022).
- Alexi Amarista, INF/OF: December ’16 (SD) — Signed to a one-year, $1.25MM contract (includes $2.5MM club option in 2018).
- Mike Dunn, RP: December ’16 (MIA) — Signed to a three-year, $19MM contract (includes $6MM club option in 2020).
- Greg Holland, RP: January ’17 (KC) — Signed to a one-year, $7MM contract (includes $15MM player option in 2018).
- Ryan Hanigan, C: March ’17 (PHI) — Signed to MiLB contract.
- ACQUIRED VIA TRADE (5)
- Carlos Gonzalez, OF: November ’08 (OAK) — Acquired in the trade that sent Matt Holliday to the Athletics.
- DJ LeMahieu, 2B: December ’11 (CHC) — Acquired in the trade that sent Ian Stewart and Casey Weathers to the Cubs.
- Jake McGee, RP: January ’16 (TB) — Acquired in the trade that sent Corey Dickerson to the Rays.
- Jonathan Lucroy, C: July ’17 (TEX) — Acquired in the trade that sent Pedro Gonzalez to the Rangers.
- Pat Neshek, RP: July ’17 (PHI) — Acquired in the trade that sent Jose Gomez, Alejandro Requena and J.D. Hammer to the Phillies.
The Rox will say goodbye to CarGo at the end of the year, along with Mark Reynolds, with Holland likely to decline his option and reenter the open market as well. But the team still has another year in which it can pair Blackmon and Arenado, retains most of its other key players, and can anticipate further strides from its youthful rotation. Plus, there are several intriguing prospects who may be ready to make full contributions at the game’s highest level as soon as 2018.