July 12: MLB has announced three more additions to the game, with Garrett Cooper of the Marlins. J.D. Martinez of the Red Sox and Carlos Rodon of the Giants stepping in to replace Bryce Harper, Yordan Alvarez and Josh Hader.
July 10: The starting lineups for the 2022 All-Star Game are already known, and we know that Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera will be on the rosters as bonus “legend” additions. Today, Major League Baseball announced the full 33-man rosters for both the National and American Leagues, revealing the other 46 names that will be part of the Midsummer Classic on July 19 at Dodger Stadium.
While the starters were voted in by the fans and Pujols/Cabrera were named to the ASG by the Commissioner’s Office, the rest of the All-Star rosters were determined by a combination of a player ballot and more picks from the league office. As always, every team is guaranteed at least one representative, though it is worth noting that Pujols and Cabrera wouldn’t count as the only reps for the Cardinals or Tigers, respectively.
Here are the full rosters, though some of the names listed won’t play due to injury, or have declined to participate. (Any replacements will be named later this week.) With Bryce Harper missing the game, William Contreras has already been named as the NL’s new designated hitter, so the two Contreras brothers will get to share the honor of being in an All-Star starting lineup. There is also the unique instance of Shohei Ohtani, who was both selected to the AL starting lineup as a DH, and also named to the All-Star team as a pitcher.
- Catcher: Alejandro Kirk, Blue Jays
- First base: Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Blue Jays
- Second base: Jose Altuve, Astros
- Third base: Rafael Devers, Red Sox
- Shortstop: Tim Anderson, White Sox
- Outfield: Aaron Judge, Yankees
- Outfield: Mike Trout, Angels
- Outfield: Giancarlo Stanton, Yankees
- Designated hitter: Shohei Ohtani, Angels
- Legend selection: Miguel Cabrera, Tigers
- Pitchers: Paul Blackburn/Athletics, Emmanuel Clase/Guardians, Gerrit Cole/Yankees, Nestor Cortes/Yankees, Clay Holmes/Yankees, Alek Manoah/Blue Jays, Shane McClanahan/Rays, Jorge Lopez/Orioles, Shohei Ohtani/Angels, Martin Perez/Rangers, Gregory Soto/Tigers, Framber Valdez/Astros, Justin Verlander/Astros
- Position players: Yordan Alvarez/Astros, Luis Arraez/Twins, Andrew Benintendi/Royals, Xander Bogaerts/Red Sox, Byron Buxton/Twins, Andres Gimenez/Guardians, Jose Ramirez/Guardians, Julio Rodriguez/Mariners, George Springer/Blue Jays, Jose Trevino/Yankees, Kyle Tucker/Astros
- Catcher: Willson Contreras, Cubs
- First base: Paul Goldschmidt, Cardinals
- Second base: Jazz Chisholm Jr., Marlins
- Third base: Manny Machado, Padres
- Shortstop: Trea Turner, Dodgers
- Outfield: Ronald Acuna Jr., Braves
- Outfield: Mookie Betts, Dodgers
- Outfield: Joc Pederson, Giants
- Designated hitter: Bryce Harper, Phillies
- Legend selection: Albert Pujols, Cardinals
- Pitchers: Sandy Alcantara/Marlins, David Bednar/Pirates, Corbin Burnes/Brewers, Luis Castillo/Reds, Edwin Diaz/Mets, Max Fried/Braves, Tony Gonsolin/Dodgers, Josh Hader/Brewers, Ryan Helsley/Cardinals, Clayton Kershaw/Dodgers, Joe Mantiply/Diamondbacks, Joe Musgrove/Padres
- Position players: Pete Alonso/Mets, Nolan Arenado/Cardinals, William Contreras/Braves, C.J. Cron/Rockies, Travis d’Arnaud/Braves, Ian Happ/Cubs, Starling Marte/Mets, Jeff McNeil/Mets, Kyle Schwarber/Phillies, Juan Soto/Nationals, Dansby Swanson/Braves