Extension Updates: Zimmerman, Bourn, Phillips

Extension season generally continues well into Spring Training and the regular season. For example, teams and players agreed on nine extensions between this date last year and the end of April. Let's check in on some ongoing extension talks:

  • Ryan Zimmerman said he doesn't want to discuss a new extension after this Friday, according to Bill Ladson of MLB.com. Zimmerman had already set the official start of Spring Training as a soft deadline for talks, since he doesn't want to let contract talks become a distraction. Agent Brodie Van Wagenen was in Nationals camp today.
  • Michael Bourn says the Braves haven't approached him about an extension so far, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Twitter link). Bourn will earn $4.4MM in 2012 and hit free agency after the season unless the Braves lock him up.
  • Brandon Phillips said he's not looking for "Prince Fielder money" in extension talks with the Reds, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. "I just want what other second baseman got," he said. "I want to be in my city." Phillips is not under contract beyond 2012.
  • Check out MLBTR's Extension Tracker for information on previous deals.

Quick Hits: Draft Pools, Young, Jurrjens, Prado, Pudge

The city of Montreal will pay tribute to former Expos great Gary Carter by naming a street or other public place in his honor, reports Linda Gyulai of the Montreal Gazette.  City officials will consult with the Carter family to find an "appropriate" location to bear the Hall of Famer catcher's name.  Carter passed away last Thursday after a lengthy battle with brain cancer.

Some news from around the majors….

  • Jim Callis of Baseball America breaks down how much each team will have to spend in the first 10 rounds of the 2012 draft. The Twins top the list, able to spend as much as $12.37MM to sign their 13 picks over the initial 10 rounds, while the Angels ($1.645MM) have the least to spend on their eight picks over the same stretch.
  • The draft pool totals will shift if Derrek Lee — the last free agent with compensation attached to him — signs a Major League deal with a new team.  As Callis notes, however, it's pretty unlikely that Lee will find such a deal at this point.
  • The Pirates and Phillies both passed on signing Dmitri Young after working him out in Florida this months, reports MLB.com's Matthew Leach. Even if Young's baseball comeback falls short, he says the real victory is his improved health, having lost over 70 pounds.
  • Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado are both pleased to still be Braves after a long winter of trade rumors surrounding both men, reports MLB.com's Mark Bowman.
  • Ivan Rodriguez isn't prepared to retire and is keeping in shape for a possible job this season, he tells the Associated Press. "It has been a tough market for veterans," Rodriguez said. "There are a lot of guys who have won championships and have playoff experience to offer teams with no jobs. It's hard to believe.''

Quick Hits: Kazmir, McCann, Padres, Athletics

Here are some notes from around the majors as we head into Friday evening…

  • ESPN's Jayson Stark looks back at the offseason, surveying 20 baseball personnel people about which teams made the best and worst moves of the winter.  A sample: the Phillies' deal with Jonathan Papelbon was judged to be the offseason's worst free agent signing.
  • About 10 scouts attended Scott Kazmir's workout session today, reports ESPN's Buster Olney (Twitter links).  The southpaw threw between 86-89 mph, with his top pitch reportedly hitting 91 mph by one scout's measurements.  
  • The Mets aren't interested in Kazmir "at this time," a source tells Newsday's David Lennon.  According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the Mets didn't send a scout to see Kazmir throw, though on Wednesday a "high ranking person" with the Mets said they would have someone in attendance (both Twitter links).
  • The Braves haven't begun extension talks with catcher Brian McCann, reports David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  2012 is McCann's last season under contract, though Atlanta holds a $12MM option on him for 2013 that looks like a strong bet to be exercised.  O'Brien thinks the Braves could wait until next winter to begin negotiations. 
  • Padres owner Jeff Moorad and GM Josh Byrnes are both very pleased with the club's offseason, reports Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune.
  • The Athletics seem focused on acquiring young talent this offseason, but Casey Tefertiller of Baseball America notes that some of these prospects are being blocked by Oakland's veteran signings.

NL East Notes: Kazmir, McCann, Hamels, Oswalt

The Mets took a chance on Jason Isringhausen exactly one year ago, signing him to a minor league deal. Isringhausen collected his 300th career save in 2011, and the Mets obtained 46 2/3 innings of 4.05 ERA baseball from the 39-year-old right-hander. We haven’t heard much about Isringhausen’s free agent prospects in recent weeks, but we do have some links from the NL East…

  • Ten years ago the Mets made Scott Kazmir their first round pick. Much has changed in the last decade, but the Mets have some interest in bringing the left-hander back, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News tweets. The Mets were expected to have someone in attendance at Kazmir's audition in Houston today. 
  • Brian McCann said he's not concerned about signing an extension for 2014 and beyond, David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution tweets. The Braves have a 2013 option for McCann on his current contract and they figure to exercise if after the season.
  • Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. joined Jim Duquette and Kevin Kennedy on MLB Network Radio and said he's still hoping to work out an extension with left-hander Cole Hamels. The sides haven't set a deadline for a long-term deal. 
  • Amaro suggested the Phillies don't have the payroll flexibility required to add Roy Oswalt. "I just don't know that it's a fit for us right now," he said.
  • The Phillies and Marlins are among the teams eyeing Cuban outfield prospect Jorge Soler.

NL East Notes: Hamels, Bonifacio, Jurrjens

The two biggest free agent contracts handed out by NL East teams this offseason went to Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle of the Marlins. They signed deals worth $106MM and $58MM, respectively, in December. Here are the latest links from the division…

Quick Hits: Red Sox, Braves, Astros, Marlins

Saturday afternoon linkage..

  • Despite speculation to the contrary, the Red Sox's limited spending this offseason isn't connected to the amount of money owner John Henry has spent on his Liverpool soccer club, writes Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald.
  • David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution spoke with several members of the Braves who say that they are glad the club didn't shake things up this winter.  Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado were at the center of many offseason trade rumors but Frank Wren didn't find suitable deals for either player.
  • Astros GM Jeff Luhnow told reporters that he hasn't been instructed to limit or cut payroll, writes MLB.com's Brian McTaggart.  The overall goal, he says, is to make the team more competitive over a three-to-five year time frame.
  • Overall, the Marlins don't have a great deal of MLB-ready talent in the minors as their most promising players are at the lower levels of their farm system, tweets Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun Sentinel.

NL East Notes: Hamels, Chipper, Harper

A few NL East notes to pass along on the day Livan Hernandez departs the division after spending the past three seasons there, with the Mets and Nats.

  • The Phillies will have a tough time re-signing Cole Hamels at anything less than full market value, writes Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, as GM Ruben Amaro has rewarded big contracts to both under-control players like Ryan Howard, and free agents such as Cliff Lee, Jonathan Papelbon and Jimmy Rollins.
  • Within the same piece, Amaro addressed the signing of Papelbon this offseason, saying the club regarded Pap slightly higher than the incumbent Ryan Madson, who eventually signed with the Reds for far less. “We didn’t just want any closer. The way our team is set up, we wanted the best guy, or one of the top two or three guys. We could have gotten a ‘B’ or ‘B-plus’ closer. But we wanted an ‘A.’ With (Papelbon), as good and as durable as he has been, I felt he was the right fit for us.”
  • Braves third baseman Chipper Jones, 40 in April, said 2012 may not be his final season, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Jones is in the final guaranteed year of his contract, but his deal includes a $7MM club option that will vest to $9MM if he plays in 123 games.  “As long as I stay healthy and I’m having fun, I’m going to keep going. I sit here with three weeks to go before spring training and I’m not ready to say this is it.”
  • Nationals manager Davey Johnson wants Bryce Harper to start the season as Washington's right fielder, hears Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. That seems like an aggressive approach to me, but it would create quite a bit of buzz in Washington — and in baseball, in general.

Quick Hits: Braves, Fielder, Reds, Cespedes, Dodgers

On this day last year, the Rangers traded Frank Francisco and cash considerations to the Blue Jays for Mike Napoli.  Toronto pulled the trigger on the swap just four days after acquiring Napoli from the Halos.  Here's a look at tonight's links..

  • The Braves have set a player payroll budget of $94MM for this year, leaving them with several million dollars still to spend, chairman and CEO Terry McGuirk told Tim Tucker of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  McGuirk also said that Liberty Media has expressed no intention of selling the club in the near future.  Also of note is that the club is locked into a 25-year local TV deal that will prevent the franchise from cashing in on MLB’s trend toward higher telecast rights fees.
  • The Rangers' bid for Prince Fielder was much shorter than nine years, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.
  • The Reds are probably done handing out big league deals this offseason, tweets John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.  Earlier tonight, the club reached agreement on a minor league deal with Jeff Francis.
  • Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (via Twitter) ranked Yoenis Cespedes' most probable destinations in the following order: Cubs, Marlins, Orioles, and White Sox.
  • Peter Ueberroth says he's heard from several groups bidding on the Dodgers but rebuffed them all, according to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times (via Twitter).
  • C. Trent Rosecrans of CBSSports.com examined what's left on the open market.
  • Free agent Raul Ibanez believes that a three-day session that he had in December with Cubs hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo will be key to a bounce back season in 2012.  Last season, Ibanez hit .245/.289/.419 in 575 plate appearances for the Phillies.
  • Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette is zeroed in on improving the club's on-base percentage this winter, writes Eduardo A. Encina of The Baltimore Sun.
  • Rival executives applaud Fielder for signing on with a winning club rather than signing with a struggling club just for the money, Heyman tweets.

NL East Notes: Musser, Young, Marlins, Upton

Long-time Phillies broadcast Andy Musser passed away today at age 74.  Throughout his distinguished, 45-year broadcasting career, Musser covered several college and pro sporting events and teams including the NBA's 76ers, the NFL's Eagles and over 25 years calling Phillies games.  All of us at MLBTR send our condolences to Musser's family, friends and listeners.

Some items from around the NL East…

Cody Ross Decision Expected Today

6:56pm: The Red Sox have "made some progress" with Ross, a team source tells Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe (Twitter link).

4:33pm: It sounds like Ross will probably end up with the Red Sox, Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com tweets. Rubin suggests the Mets didn't want to spend more than $1MM.

3:59pm: The Braves aren't among the finalists for Ross, David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution tweets.

2:56pm: Free agent outfielder Cody Ross is expected to pick a team by the end of the day, Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News tweets. The Red Sox are having an ongoing dialogue with Ross, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick tweets.

The Mets also have some interest in the free agent outfielder, but the Red Sox can offer more money and a hitter-friendly home park, according to Baggarly. The Mets aren't sure Ross fits for them, so the Red Sox and others are more likely fits, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.

Ross, 31, posted a .240/.325/.405 line with 14 home runs in 461 plate appearances for the Giants in 2011, while playing all three outfield positions. The SFX client has a career .282/.349/.563 line against left-handed pitching. Ross won the NLCS MVP in 2010, when he hit three homers against the Phillies. The Braves and Rockies have also been linked to Ross this winter.

Show all