Zambrano Would Accept A Trade
SATURDAY, 8:40am: The Cubs rejected an offer of Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo for Zambrano, tweets SI's Jon Heyman. Zambrano has $17.83MM more remaining on his contract than they do, so I'm assuming the Mets wanted cash in the deal. Heyman says the Cubs did not want to take Castillo.
FRIDAY, 5:39pm: Carlos Zambrano told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times that he would accept a trade if the Cubs approach him with one (Twitter link). Despite Zambrano's willingness to waive his no-trade clause, there's no reason to expect a deal. Zambrano says he wants to stay in Chicago and the Cubs don't believe they will be able to trade him this season, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (Twitter link).
Big Z earns $6.4MM between now and the end of the season, plus $17.9MM next year, $18MM in 2012 and possibly $19.25MM in 2013. That's a lot of money for a pitcher who just came off the restricted list and has a 5.66 ERA. The 29-year-old is walking (4.0 BB/9) and striking out (8.6 K/9) lots of batters, as usual.
Braves Designate Brent Clevlen For Assignment
The Braves designated Brent Clevlen for assignment, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution (Twitter link). The 26-year-old hit a double in four at bats with the Braves this year and will likely head to Triple A Gwinnett if he clears waivers.
The 2002 second-rounder has a .255/.372/.362 line at Triple A in 2010. That's not far off the .261/.341/.421 mark he has posted in nine minor league seasons.
Pirates, D’Backs Agree On Chris Snyder Trade
10:43am: The minor leaguer going to the Pirates will be shortstop Pedro Ciriaco, tweets Kovacevic. Baseball America ranked Ciriaco 27th among D'Backs prospects heading into the season, praising his defense and speed.
9:55am: The Pirates will also receive a minor leaguer in the deal, reports MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch. So it's Snyder, a minor leaguer, and cash to the Pirates for Carrasco, Church, and Crosby. The Pirates will not flip Snyder, tweets Kovacevic.
9:42am: The D'Backs will also get reliever D.J. Carrasco, reports MLB.com's Steve Gilbert. Carrasco has $336K plus incentives left on his contract this year, and he's under team control through 2012. He should be a useful piece in what figures to be a revamped bullpen for Arizona next year.
9:31am: The D'Backs will receive Bobby Crosby and Ryan Church in the deal, tweets Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona. This explains the call-ups today of Argenis Diaz and Jeff Clement, to some extent. The inclusion of Crosby and Church offsets about $883K of the $8.18MM still owed to Snyder.
8:56am: Despite an agreement in principle, the two sides are still talking about names going to Arizona, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette spoke to an uninvolved industry source who wonders if the Pirates might flip Snyder.
SATURDAY, 12:37am: The only thing standing in the way of a Snyder-to-Pittsburgh deal is the commissioner's approval for cash changing hands, reports Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. It is still not clear as to what Arizona will receive in return, he adds (via Twitter).
FRIDAY, 8:57pm: The Pirates have spoken to the D’Backs about a trade that would send catcher Chris Snyder to Pittsburgh, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. The FOX Sports writers suggest Arizona would likely send money to Pittsburgh in any deal. Snyder has $1.7MM remaining on his contract in 2010, plus $5.75MM next year and either $6.75MM or a $750K buyout in 2012.
The Pirates currently have Jason Jaramillo and Erik Kratz on the active roster, but Ryan Doumit is on the DL with a concussion. Like Snyder, Doumit has a lot of money coming his way. He'll earn $5.1MM in 2011 and the club holds options for 2012-13.
Earlier in the week, Bill Shaikin of the LA Times reported that the D'Backs were trying to trade Snyder, but this is the first we've heard of the Pirates' interest.
Jose Bautista Rumors: Friday
Jose Bautista picked up two walks and three hits tonight, including a grand slam. It's safe to say his trade value is pretty high. Here's the latest on the Blue Jays right fielder:
- Bautista told MLB.com's Jordan Bastian that he isn't concerned about an extension. "I have one more year of arbitration and I have no problem with the process," he said. Bautista also said he hopes to stay in Toronto (Twitter links).
- Bautista is the player the Giants want, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter). Heyman suggests the Jays could target Emmanuel Burriss or Ehire Adrianza in a trade.
- The Blue Jays and Giants have had extensive conversations, but San Francisco finds Toronto’s asking prices for Scott Downs and Bautista too high, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.
- Yesterday, Heyman reported that many teams besides the Giants were interested in Bautista.
Marlins Actively Seeking Relief Help
The Marlins have been looking for relievers all season long and they're still hoping to add to their bullpen, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. Even after trading Jorge Cantu away, the 51-51 Marlins are apparently looking to make an acquisition. Frisaro suggests the team has a particularly strong need for left-handed relievers.
Many consider the trade market for relief pitching thin and overpriced, and the Marlins have avoided it so far. They signed Armando Benitez, only to release him soon afterwards, and relied on their own arms. Marlins relievers have combined for a 4.51 ERA this season.
Yankees Acquire Lance Berkman
A year ago, the Yankees' big midsummer acquisitions were named Hinske and Hairston, but the team won the World Series. After missing out on Cliff Lee and Dan Haren, Brian Cashman went after one of the more recognizable hitters available and got him. Lance Berkman waived his no-trade clause and will head to New York in exchange for minor leaguers Mark Melancon and Jimmy Paredes. The deal is now official.
Berkman, who vetoed a trade to the White Sox, brings a .245/.372/.436 line to the Bronx. The 34-year-old switch hitter comes with a substantial price tag, but the Astros are contributing $4MM or so of the $7.1MM owed to Berkman. He can become a free agent after the season, since the $15MM option for 2011 is now mutual (it was a club option). Berkman is in the midst of a disappointing offensive year, but he did post a .907 OPS in 2009.
Melancon had brief stints with the Yankees this year and last year, but most of his pro experience has come in the minor leagues. The right-hander has a 3.67 ERA in Triple A this year with 9.3 K/9 and 5.0 BB/9. The high walk rate is alarming, but the 25-year-old had never posted a walk rate higher than 2.3 BB/9 at any minor league stop before this year. Baseball America ranked Melancon 15th among all Yankees prospects before the season, citing his closer's mentality and strong makeup.
Paredes, 21, is a switch-hitting infielder who has played second, short and third. He has stolen 36 bases in 46 attempts at A ball this year and has a .282/.312/.408 line. Unlike Melancon, he did not place in Baseball America's top 30 Yankees prospects before the season.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that the deal was imminent, that it was complete, some financial details and that the Yanks gave up Melancon and Paredes. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, ESPN.com's Buster Olney, Alyson Footer of the Astros, USA Today's Bob Nightengale, MLB.com's Scott Merkin and Jon Heyman of SI.com also contributed to the story.
Yankees Acquire Austin Kearns
The Yankees acquired Austin Kearns from Cleveland for a player to be named later or cash, the Indians announced. This acquisition won't make the headlines the Yankees' other trade will, but the Yanks like Kearns for his right-handed bat, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). Kearns, 30, is hitting .268/.351/.413 this season and has a .799 OPS against lefties in his career. He'll earn $270K between now and the end of the season and hit free agency afterwards.
Jon Heyman of SI.com first reported that a deal was close, Joel Sherman of the New York Post noted that the Indians were getting a PTBNL and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that the deal was complete (all Twitter links).
Despite their busy day, the Yankees are working on another trade, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (via Twitter).
Cardinals Sign Seth Blair
The Cardinals formally announced the signing of supplementary first rounder Seth Blair, according to MLB.com's Matthew Leach (via Twitter). The Cards selected the 21-year-old right-hander 46th overall in last month's draft. Three years ago, the A's selected Blair in the 47th round, but he attended Arizona State instead.
The Cardinals signed Blair for $751,500, according to Baseball America's Jim Callis. That matches MLB's slot recommendation.
Earlier in the week, we heard that the Cards were close to finalizing an agreement with Blair, so tonight's news is no surprise. Click here for the complete list of top picks to sign.
Cardinals Targeting Jake Westbrook
The Cardinals are targeting Jake Westbrook, rival teams tell ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark. The Cards are no longer pursuing Aaron Cook or Livan Hernandez, since they’re focused on the Indians right-hander. However, Stark hears that there’s just a 50% chance of a trade.
The Indians don’t want to absorb salary in a deal, but Westbrook will make about $4MM between now and the end of the season. He also obtains a $2MM bonus if the Indians trade him.
The Cardinals have been looking for an innings eater and Westbrook fits that description. The 32-year-old has posted a 4.65 ERA in 127.2 innings, with 5.1 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. Westbrook is scheduled to face the Blue Jays tomorrow.
Blue Jays May Keep Downs; Asking Price Still High
6:51pm: The Blue Jays aren't lowering the asking price for any of their relievers, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (via Twitter). Toronto's front office has told teams around the league that they'll keep their relievers, offer arbitration and receive draft picks if they don't see offers they like, according to USA Today's Bob Nightengale (via Twitter).
3:12pm: Rival teams believe the Blue Jays may end up keeping Scott Downs, according to ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark. Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos continues to drive a hard bargain, so the Blue Jays may keep the lefty and offer him arbitration after the season.
At least one team might meet Toronto’s demands. The Twins, who traded top catching prospect Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps, haven’t stopped pursuing Downs, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter). However, the Twins are “not likely” to acquire Downs as it stands now. The Red Sox are not at the forefront of the Downs discussions, according to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com (Twitter link).
Downs may be pitching in Toronto after the deadline passes, but the Blue Jays are likely to lower their asking price for relievers Kevin Gregg and Jason Frasor.
