Odds & Ends: Beltre, Lyon, Nats, Rangers
Some more links for your Thursday night…
- John Tomase of the Boston Herald says the Red Sox believe Adrian Beltre to be "one of the most game-changing defenders in the majors."
- Two GMs tell Tom Verducci of SI.com that they were shocked to see the Astros commit $15MM to Brandon Lyon.
- Verducci reports that the Yankees called the Tigers about Curtis Granderson before the World Series began.
- The Nats still plan on adding multiple veteran starters, according to Thomas Boswell of the Washington Post.
- Kevin Sherrington of the Dallas Morning News says the Rangers have to be "extremely selective with multi-year deals, stock a good farm system, fill in with low-risk, high-reward short-timers and churn regularly." So far, Sherrington likes Jon Daniels' strategy.
- MLB.com's Ian Browne expects Mike Lowell to be a positive presence in the Texas clubhouse.
- Dodgers GM Ned Colletti tells MLB.com's Ken Gurnick that he's "not close" on any deals.
- Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski told Steve Kornacki of MLive.com that there's a chance Phil Coke starts in Detroit.
- The D'Backs don't appear to have much money to spend, according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.
- Marlins president Larry Beinfest tells MLB.com's Joe Frisaro that "there is still some stuff simmering." The club hopes to trade Dan Uggla, according to Frisaro.
- Orioles starter Brian Matusz told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he grew up watching Kevin Millwood pitch for the Braves. Now, the two will be teammates.
- Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times reports that the Dodgers turned down a Japanese club that wanted to buy Eric Stults' contract.
- Brian Cashman told Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News that Juan Miranda could potentially DH for the Yanks next year.
Yankees Rumors: Sheets, Damon
The Yankees have some interest in Ben Sheets and they're taking their time with Johnny Damon. Here are the details on the defending World Champions:
- Marc Carig of the Star Ledger reports that the Yankees made contact with Ben Sheets' agent. This doesn't mean they'll sign him, or that he's a priority, but it's worth noting. We know Sheets is looking for $12MM or so. That target seems lofty given that Rich Harden, who actually pitched last year, signed for less than that, but the Yankees are looking into starters.
-
The Yankees haven't made progress with Johnny Damon. Sam Borden of the Journal News says they haven't yet set a firm deadline for their negotiations.
Discussion: Winter Meetings Winners & Losers
Roy Halladay's still a Blue Jay. Jason Bay, Matt Holliday and John Lackey are still free agents. But lots of moves did take place this week in Indianapolis, so let's discuss: which teams are winners? Which teams are losers? And which teams are in between?
The Yankees signed Andy Pettitte and traded for Curtis Granderson. That makes them winners, right? The Dodgers didn't make any major moves and didn't obtain compensation for the loss of Randy Wolf: does this make them losers?
But what about the Astros? Yahoo's Steve Henson considers them a winner, but some people think the Brandon Lyon deal was a mistake. How about the Rangers? The Mariners? Let's hear about your 2009 Winter Meetings winners and losers in the comments section.
Phillies Bullpen Search: Dotel, Putz, Smoltz
The Phillies are moving on to other bullpen options, now that the Astros have signed Brandon Lyon. Scott Lauber of the News Journal reports that the Phils have had conversations with the representatives for Octavio Dotel and J.J. Putz. They're negotiating with Chan Ho Park, but Lauber hears that other teams might be interested in Park as a starter, which he would prefer.
Lyon had been linked to the Phillies for weeks before former Phillies GM Ed Wade signed him to a $15MM deal with the Astros. As Amaro tells Lauber, the Phillies were interested until the end.
"We were in there pretty deep,” Amaro said. “Ed stole him from us.”
The Phils also had productive talks with John Smoltz, who seems willing to pitch in a small ballpark for the chance to win another title. We heard earlier in the week that the Nats are also interested in Smoltz.
White Sox Interested In Brett Gardner
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times hears from a scout familiar with the situation that the White Sox covet Yankees outfielder Brett Gardner. The Yankees, who just acquired Curtis Granderson, have extra outfielders so the White Sox and Royals have inquired on Gardner.
The White Sox had Scott Podsednik around last year, but Cowley says they haven't offered him the two-year deal he wants. The Royals and Tigers are also unwilling to give Podsednik a second year at this point.
Stark On Halladay, Bradley, Lackey, Gonzalez
The Blue Jays are still demanding nearly as much for Roy Halladay as they were this summer, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. The Angels, Phillies and Yankees appear to be "the only realistic destinations" for Halladay at this point. The Angels would apparently want Halladay to sign an extension if they traded for him, but the Jays don't appear to be close to dealing their ace away. Here are the rest of Stark's rumors:
- One GM would be shocked if the Angels don't sign Jason Bay or John Lackey. The Angels haven't shown any indications that they're ready to offer Lackey A.J. Burnett money ($82.5MM).
- The Yankees are focused on adding a free agent starter and determining whether Johnny Damon will return.
- If the Cubs and Rays can figure out the money, Milton Bradley could still end up in Tampa Bay.
- The Red Sox will have a hole at first or third if and when the Mike Lowell deal goes through, but you can count out Adrian Gonzalez. Stark says the Padres just have no motivation to move the hometown slugger.
- The Red Sox are "clearly infatuated with" Adrian Beltre.
- Dan Uggla, Francisco Cordero, Luis Castillo, Lyle Overbay, Kerry Wood, Kyle Farnsworth, Gary Matthews Jr., Juan Pierre, Jose Guillen and Eric Byrnes were all being shopped this week.
- Stark notes that the market for starting pitchers hasn't been bad so far, pointing to Randy Wolf and Andy Pettitte as examples.
Mariners Seek Starting Pitching
The Mariners are looking for starting pitchers, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. John Lackey, Doug Davis and Jarrod Washburn are all on Seattle's list, according to Morosi.
Lackey, the top free agent starter, has been linked to the Mariners for a while. One consideration for GM Jack Zduriencik: the Angels already have the Mariners' first round selection in next year's draft, so the M's would only have to give up a 54th overall pick to sign Lackey, even though he's a Type A free agent. That would deprive the Angels of the chance to obtain two first rounders.
Washburn has been linked to the Twins and Brewers, but the Mariners could be a fit, too. He excelled in Seattle this year, pitching to a 2.64 ERA in 20 starts, though his peripherals were not as good as the low ERA suggests. We've seen Davis connected to the Mariners, too, though he hasn't pitched in the AL since 2003.
Giants Make Offer To DeRosa?
3:30pm: Baggarly believes DeRosa is one of multiple offers the Giants have out to free agents. He's less certain that Johnson and Scott Podsednik received offers.
1:15am: Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports says that DeRosa is the team's top third base target because he's cheaper then Beltre, and versatile enough to move if Pablo Sandoval can stick at third.
THURSDAY, 12:22am: Baggarly writes that the Giants "might be making a subtle misdirection play to get the Florida Marlins to take a lesser return" for Uggla.
1:07pm: MLB.com's Joe Frisaro tweets that we should not rule out the Giants on Uggla – "there is still smoke." He notes that the Marlins never asked for Madison Bumgarner in return.
WEDNESDAY, 12:59am: According to Baggarly, the Giants are hoping to sign one infielder from a group that includes DeRosa, Nick Johnson, and Adrian Beltre. Hudson is also a possiblity, while Adam LaRoche is a "back-burner option." Baggarly also notes that Sabean doesn't sound too enthusiastic about pursuing Jermaine Dye, despite previous reports of the Giants' interest in the veteran: "We want to stay young," Sabean said. "That's a blanket statement, not a comment against Dye."
TUESDAY, 7:50pm: Baggarly reports that the Giants are not a serious bidder for Dan Uggla. His salary (which could be $7MM or so) and his weak glove limit the team's interest.
6:50pm: Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News has the latest on the Giants:
- Johnny Damon is not a fit for the Giants.
- Bengie Molina will not return: in the words of Giants GM Brian Sabean, "that ship has sailed."
- It's possible that Juan Uribe will reconsider the Giants' contract offer (for one year, plus an option).
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has more:
- The Giants will move Freddy Sanchez to third base if they sign Orlando Hudson.
- Mark DeRosa , however, would fit in at the hot corner if the Giants sign him.
- Rosenthal confirms that the Giants and Padres have discussed a Kevin Kouzmanoff trade, but says the Padres aren't enticed by the Giants' youngsters.
- Rosenthal hears that Sabean has at least considered signing Jason Bay.
Multiple Teams Interested In Darren Oliver
THURSDAY, 2:15pm: Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers met for a second time with Oliver's agents today, while the Red Sox and Angels are also still in.
WEDNESDAY, 2:14pm: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that the Angels and Rangers have been the most aggressive on Oliver.
TUESDAY, 5:51pm: Darren Oliver is drawing interest from multiple teams, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. Along with the Mariners and his old team, the Angels, the Red Sox, Rays, Rangers and Mets are interested. MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports that the Rangers are expected to meet with Oliver's agents sometime tonight.
Oliver wasn't offered arbitration, so he won't cost a draft pick.
Rule 5 Draft Preview
THURSDAY, 12:10am: Yankees' GM Brian Cashman said that four teams have called about the first pick, however they'll keep it for themselves according to Mark Feinsand of The NY Daily News. Ben Goessling of The Washington Times says that the Yanks will have Washington take Kroenke, with the idea of him replacing the recently departed Phil Coke.
WEDNESDAY, 11:13pm: Mayo says the Royals will make a selection, which means we'll see a roster move soon. And it's now looking like the Pirates will take a right-hander instead of a position player.
9:16pm: Johan Santana, Dan Uggla and Shane Victorino were all Rule 5 Draft selections, so we could see some unheralded talent change teams tomorrow morning when this year's draft takes place. MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo has the latest on the draft, which he calls something of a "crapshoot:"
- The Nats will select first for the Yankees, followed by the Pirates, the Orioles for the Rangers, the Royals and the Indians.
- The Royals have a full 40-man roster so they can't make a selection unless that changes. They may create space to make a pick, though.
- Pirates GM Neal Huntington says there's a good chance he'll select someone. Mayo expects the Pirates to take a position player.
- Marlins outfielder John Raynor is gathering lots of attention; he has a career .299/.383/.452 line.
- D'Backs pitcher Hector Ambriz could also be an early pick, perhaps for the Indians.
- The Yankees might have the Nats take one of their own players, Zach Kroenke, to make sure no one else does. Ed Price of AOL FanHouse agrees: there's a chance the Yankees will have the Nats select Kroenke.
- Remember, Florida has Houston's eighth overall pick, from the Matt Lindstrom deal.
- Check Mayo's article for the complete draft order and some more intriguing names.
